Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' TOM CHANNON MEMORIAL:CARDIFF v NEWCASTLE AUGUST 18th '

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:24 pm

TOM CHANNON MEMORIAL - CARDIFF CITY v NEWCASTLE UTD - SATURDAY AUGUST 18th KO 12:30[/b]

Hi All,

I wanted you all to know that prior to tomorrow’s game v Newcastle united, there will be a tribute in the matchday programme plus a photo on the big screens at half-time of Tom Channon, who recently passed away in an entirely preventable accident in Magaluf, where he was taking his first holiday with his fantastic friends and was only 18 years old and with an amazing future ahead of him.

Tom was a long standing City season ticket holder and had even deferred his Durham University start date for a year, so he wouldn't miss a match, as he was so looking forward to our return to the Premier League.

My brilliant and generous friends at the club have ensured that Tom Channon's photo and memorial words will be in the Newcastle match day programme tomorrow and that his photo will be shown on the big screen at half-time with the words that the Channon family want announced to honour Tom. Some of Tom’s amazing pals will be starting University at different locations around the UK, so I thank Cardiff City for getting this done so quickly so his friends are present and will get some comfort from this before heading on their separate ways.

He loved Neil Warnock and at his parent’s request, the club donated a City shirt with "Warnock" printed on the back with the number 18, as that's how young Tom was when he died because of the Eden Roc’s property owner’s gross negligence, where 4 people have fallen from precisely the same spot, whilst the owner has done precisely nothing to make this dangerous elevated walkway safe.

I've embedded some of the media coverage below, including the Sun piece, as it's probably the most accurate article written to date and it was also in all of last Saturday's papers including The Times, The Sun and Daily Mail & all over social media. There have been interviews with Tom's parents on the BBC & ITV and they were also interviewed for the Victoria Derbyshire show last week & you may have seen Tom’s strong but devastated parents being interviewed on the BBC and ITV as the story has attracted major interest internationally.

I would like to thank the following incredible City staff who have been so helpful - Adam Gilliatt, Joel Hutton, Gary Wilmot, Dean Pymble, Stacey Hancock & Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock, who was Tom's hero, for their thoughtful gestures for Tom and the wonderful Channon family.

I would also like to thank my friend Annis Abraham and Anthony Rivers for sharing this story and campaign for justice on their social timelines.

Tom’s family & close friends have launched the Tom Channon Memorial fund which is being managed by the super-efficient Chis Price.

The fund is to pay for permanent memorials in the places that Tom loved to to spend time. And his most favourite was cheering on the mighty Bluebirds with his close pals at the CCS. We are hoping to install a plaque at the stadium so that Tom never misses a match forever.

If you can make a donation, however small, it would be greatly appreciated. Part of the funds will contribute to what could be considerable legal fees as the Channon family seek justice for Tom. I know how generous our brilliant fans are, especially when we lose on of our own. Please donate if you can and please share this far and wide.

Fly high Tom you wonderful Bluebird, we love you mate & you will be sat by my side watching the team we love, home & away, always. #justice4Tom :bluebird:

Here’s a link to Tom’s Memorial Fund page: https://www.gofundme.com/TomChannonMemorial

38438011_10155763627066453_6949860600847532032_n.jpg

39442823_259335681555798_1229244666889633792_n.jpg

Here are some of the many media coverage that has been published since Tom's entirely preventable death:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6831172/m ... th-plunge/
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-wales-45 ... -nightmare
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-wales-45 ... et-justice
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-wales-44 ... aluf-death
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-wales-44 ... t-to-death
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' TOM CHANNON MEMORIAL:CARDIFF v NEWCASTLE AUGUST 18th '

Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:29 am

Paul, we will push and support this as much as we can! :thumbright:

Good luck, my friend! :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:10 am

Sven wrote:Paul, we will push and support this as much as we can! :thumbright:

Thank you Chris. We are devastated. Give me a call mate so we can catch up before the next away day. :notworthy: :thumbup:

Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:24 am

GrangeEndStar wrote:

Thank you Chris. We are devastated. Give me a call mate so we can catch up before the next away day. :notworthy: :thumbup:

Nice touch by the club, to this awful tragedy, my heart really goes out. I was amazed at how 'held together' his dad was when interviewed shortly after, total respect. Having kids a similar age I think every day about their safety, from a night out in the city to their young holiday resort choices.

RIP Tom, and love to his family.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Our Tom Channon - A True Bluebird Flying High.

IMG_20180818_142242_695.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:34 pm

Rita Pidsdale wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

Nice touch by the club, to this awful tragedy, my heart really goes out. I was amazed at how 'held together' his dad was when interviewed shortly after, total respect. Having kids a similar age I think every day about their safety, from a night out in the city to their young holiday resort choices.

RIP Tom, and love to his family.
:bluebird:

Thank you my friend.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:11 pm

You can feel very proud Paul, it’s such a sad story, but thanks to you the whole truth is out, you’ve worked 24/7 to get the truth out :thumbright: :bluebird:

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:30 pm

Forever Blue wrote:You can feel very proud Paul, it’s such a sad story, but thanks to you the whole truth is out, you’ve worked 24/7 to get the truth out :thumbright: :bluebird:

Forever Blue wrote:You can feel very proud Paul, it’s such a sad story, but thanks to you the whole truth is out, you’ve worked 24/7 to get the truth out :thumbright: :bluebird:

Thank you mate, and your support and our Bluebird Family had meant so much to John, Ceri, Harry & James.
I've had lovely messages and donations from Bluebirds groups as far as Oz mate and we've only just started.

There is high Westminster involvement in this now and although I can't say too much, the Channons will get #justice4tom as things will be coming on top. If anyone can share Tom's GoFundMe page and donate just a little, it all helps lads.

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2018-07-1 ... model-son/

https://www.gofundme.com/TomChannonMemorial

When I get chance, I'll post up some fantastic pictures of Tom's amazing pals with VT and our fantastic team of players on Saturday. I couldn't be there as was a bit under the weather and still am but will be at Chelsea away and whoever we have home next, as I haven't even looked at our fixtures!

Thanks again for your support my friend, it will not be forgotten. :bluebird: