Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Police filming

Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Is it me , am I getting paranoid in my old age .
What’s the crack with the police filming every man and his dog in the canton stand today , no hint of trouble miles from away fans yet we are made to feel like criminals just for attending a football match .
Major overkill and pointless in my opinion .

Re: Police filming

Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:41 pm

Knowing the SWP football unit, they will be looking for any fan on a ban that now we are back in the big boys league have sneaked in to watch the game... or... just wasting tax payers money to justify the overtime bill :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:52 pm

They've been doing it on sloper rd for couple of yrs at away end entrance! Suspect they are putting fans faces on their facial recognition data base been recent stories about it, apparently nothing to stop them! :o

Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:32 pm

Spotters

Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:45 pm

What would happen if we all turned up wearing burkas or hijab that would put the cat amongst the pidgins so to speak.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:18 pm

Noticed this myself and yes it was intimidating at times. No need for it. On the corner between the canton and ninian I think this post relates to? With no need for filming us at all surely there's a case of harassment for those affected by the filming?

Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Noticed it on sky, waiting for the corner in front of the away fans

Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Nathancityloyal wrote:Noticed this myself and yes it was intimidating at times. No need for it. On the corner between the canton and ninian I think this post relates to? With no need for filming us at all surely there's a case of harassment for those affected by the filming?

Yeah I'm sure you'd go far in court with that one mate. Emotional damage by way of camera.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:19 pm

Also, as i "tried" to drive past the train station in a people carrier full of kids I was filmed with a idiot copper who decided to put his cam right up against my window and act the billy big balls for no reason other than just to make a point.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:54 am

Nowt wrong with them filming the crowd looking for people who shouldn’t be their or anyone causing trouble. Nobody should worry about it unless they are acting like idiots or know they shouldn’t be their.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:19 am

phildavies wrote:Nowt wrong with them filming the crowd looking for people who shouldn’t be their or anyone causing trouble. Nobody should worry about it unless they are acting like idiots or know they shouldn’t be their.

come off it...there is far far more trouble every Saturday night in every city center than your ever likely to see at football these days..and should serious trouble break out as it used to, the police dont attend in sufficient numbers to prevent it anyway..
was there a need for SWP to have a football intelligence unit..yes there was.
was it sensible to video our fans and collate who was with who doing what..yes.
but that is not the case now...we are at a point now where very little happens the vast majority in attendance are either STholders or club members and the grounds have CCTV cameras in every nook and cranny...away, again its ST holders and members { i know a few sell on tickets but it is just a few } the days of 50 nutters from a town or village randomely picking 3 away games to go to and causing havoc are long gone. if crowds at football had always been behaved as they do now the unit would never have existed and tbh i now think the police are in a position where they need to be seen to be doing something..as opposed to actually doing something..

Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:03 am

GDPR - General Data Protection regulation act.
No one company is immune from this European legislation that came into force this May. Everyone should have experienced this in some form already, even if they have seen all their phone apps asking for permission to use their data (sign in policy).
The point I am making is that you have a right to contact the Police and inquire what data they hold on you and the reasons for this data and how it may be used.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:27 am

I might be wrong Dicey, but I think law enforcement is a different when it comes to GDPR. I work in financial crime for a mortgage company, and if a customer requests all the information we hold on them, our financial crime data is excluded as it is in relation with the prevention of financial crime. If that’s the case for us, the Police won’t have to say a thing.

Another view of this is that we’re all constantly on CCTV anyway so what’s one more camera making sure no one is misbehaving. It may not happen now but that element of our club will always be there sadly

Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:52 am

If it leads to catching idiots who throw coins I’m all for it.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:22 am

I dont see the problem with them filming

They are obviously doing it for a reason.

If it is to spot hooligans/Banned fans then its fine as keeping them away from the ground stops the trouble (ie coin throwing) and gets us a better reputation leading to clubs allowing us bigger away allocations without so many restrictions and less policing/stewarding at games leading to cheaper ticket prices.
If the knobheads amongst us stop causing trouble then this would not be needed. Blame the fans who shame us at games not the police who are trying to stop it.

If it is for other reasons like Terrorism or basic match day safety then that is also a good

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:24 am

If it is facial recognition; then the South Wales police are already facing legal action about it as it has been proven to be unregulated and violates privacy.

During the champions league final in Cardiff, facial recognition wrongly identified over 2,000 people.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:25 am

Its facial recognition - dont fret if you havent made a nob of yourself elsewhere :)

It happens in town too on friday nights in attempt to stop people who have "previous" kicking off again.