Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Cardiff City midfield dilemma

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:09 am

The Cardiff City midfield dilemma

19th August 2018

By Ian Mitchelmore

There was plenty of talk about the selection dilemmas facing Neil Warnock in midfield prior to the clash with the Magpies.

And following the displays of the trio who started in the centre of the park against Newcastle, the Yorkshireman certainly has plenty to ponder ahead of the games against Huddersfield Town and Arsenal.

Debutants Victor Camarasa and Harry Arter both impressed while Joe Ralls was his usual industrious self.

Cardiff City v Newcastle pictures

With Aron Gunnarsson edging closer to a return from injury and Callum Paterson also waiting in the wings, there's a real competition for places in midfield following Cardiff's transfer deadline day business.

There's also Loic Damour to consider, with the Frenchman yet to feature in a matchday squad this season.

So while it's a welcome problem for Warnock, it's one that's clearly got a whole lot more difficult to solve following the stalemate with Newcastle.

Re: The Cardiff City midfield dilemma

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:14 am

It’s a good problem to have and one that warnock will have to manage.

Could Patterson become a make shift center forward?

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:15 am

I don't think there's a problem, yes Ralls was his usual industrial self but that's not enough in the premier league Gunnar has to come I for me and play the holding roll in front of the back 4.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:16 am

dazza wrote:I don't think there's a problem, yes Ralls was his usual industrial self but that's not enough in the premier league Gunnar has to come I for me and play the holding roll in front of the back 4.

I thought Ralls was brilliant yesterday, the 3 starters were more than competent and able to win the ball back quickly and hold on to it.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:55 am

JimCP91 wrote:
dazza wrote:I don't think there's a problem, yes Ralls was his usual industrial self but that's not enough in the premier league Gunnar has to come I for me and play the holding roll in front of the back 4.

I thought Ralls was brilliant yesterday, the 3 starters were more than competent and able to win the ball back quickly and hold on to it.

Me too! It's their positions to lose. Gunnar, Paterson and Damour might have to wait a while.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:34 pm

Lets be honest how comfortable would Gunner be with all that passing we saw yesterday...

There will be games for Gunnar and he has a part to play, but not at the expense of what we saw yesterday.

Its the first time for a long long time, that we don't have to hide a major deficiency in one of our midfielders. All three were comfortable with the ball, had an eye for a pass, can tackle and are mobile.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Midfield was great. Ralls did play a bit deeper, but he's a good enough tackler to do that. The debuts of Arter and Camarasa were tremendous. They only lack the fitness to go the whole 90.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:45 pm

No doubt Gunner will be rushed back fully fit it not.

The only question is does Reid come back in and if so who drops out. For me Gunnerson, demour and Patterson don't come into it at the moment to start.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:37 pm

Do people really think Gunnarsson will improve this midfield !?

Unless he plays a virtually a 3rd centre back against some of the top teams I just can’t see him getting in.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:31 pm

2blue2handle wrote:No doubt Gunner will be rushed back fully fit it not.

The only question is does Reid come back in and if so who drops out. For me Gunnerson, demour and Patterson don't come into it at the moment to start.

personally i think we have a fantastic manager who will pick a team he thinks is best suited for each game.

thought our midfield were superb yesterday and hope he plays the same next week but when he does play gunner it will be for a reason..not just to spite you