Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ticket prices far too expensive ,club have made a boo boo

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:22 am

Just read this from another City fan, what do u think?

30,520, City capacity 33,550

Ticket prices far too expensive , club have made a boo boo

£40 quid for a category b game .......load of bollocks all that is ......is going to ensure plenty more empty seats this season

We are not a big club , we are not a wealthy area

The club have made a huge mistake with these prices , undoing the work of last season , I am writing to them

Re: Ticket prices far too expensive ,club have made a boo bo

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:30 am

Football fans are mugs up and down the land. Prem clubs still make money if the stadium was emtyt (recent bbc report)

If me and daughter go to Huddersfield with coach fees you talking 90 bucks.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:30 am

I can only assume they were looking either in the more expensive seating or looked on the day. Because even for the Arsenal and Man City games coming up (which I assume are cat A games), you can get adult tickets for £31.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 am

My Newcastle ticket was £31. I don't think that's too much for Premier league football.

However, if these tickets have sold out and only the more expensive ones are available then it could put people off attending, and we will not sell out, unless playing the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U etc

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:58 am

stevee1966 wrote:My Newcastle ticket was £31. I don't think that's too much for Premier league football.

However, if these tickets have sold out and only the more expensive ones are available then it could put people off attending, and we will not sell out, unless playing the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U etc

I believe most games even Cat a games you can get tickets for £30 or less if you buy them early which is very good value to see some of the best players in the world

I believe what the club does lack is a more common sense approach to selling tickets on the day to people who decide to go last minute, this is where the £40 + tickets kick in.. That price will perhaps put off some people especially if it’s a family with a couple of kids

Maybe make some cheaper tickets available on the day..not sure how practical that is but worth looking at

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:01 am

You can get tickets for city's home games for £25, if you want to pay for better seats then you can! £40 on the day is only for the best seats, not that the £25 ones on the day are not good :thumbup:

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:19 am

100% could and should be filling this stadium..but to do that we needed to entice less/semi interested fans by keeping prices low..

i am going to Huddersfield and paying 30 quid..AND see that as reasonable, but im a long standing season ticket holder that does half a dozen aways each year...peoples assumptions that blokes that watch 3 games a year have those same views and will now stump up hundreds of pounds a year on football are wrong..
it should have been sell all our STs cheap create a waiting list which in turn reduces walk up space encouraging others to become members to be able to buy these walk up places..
instead we already have plenty of availability which does nothing in encouraging the 8k or so new ST holders who bought cheap prior to the Reading game to re invest in one next season when presumably they will be charged the increased rate themselves.

but its too late to do anything this season..i hope the club think long and hard before pricing next season..
personally id prefere the ground full to the rafters than be rewarded by looking at empty seats

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:24 am

All clubs have to keep a percentage of tickets for walk ups, not sure but I think for us is 3000 :thumbup:

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:25 am

Think that the club have it spot on. It’s a business and we are in the Premier League. A crowd of 30,720 albeit an opening game is an excellent attendance considering there is a 33k odd capacity. I guess it would have been higher still if it wasn’t on TV.

I can understand the club charging what I call a reasonable price if the demand is there. Need to look at some of the other Premier League clubs and what they charge. In comparison Cardiff are near the bottom of the table.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:50 am

Newcastle didn’t sell out their allocation which didn’t help .

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:45 pm

Some of the more expensive tickets are in the wings of the grandstand and down towards the pitch. Cant understand how these are priced and it was noticeable that this was the most sparse area on Saturday.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:18 pm

This is a common problem with playing in prem. Also most games on sky don’t help. Club is a business at the end of the day. I do think however there needs to be more kids seats available. We increased the capacity but we didn’t increase the family seats. Could have made an area of the ground family friendly. I think we would sell more seats for some of the less glamorous ties if there were more family seats available.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:46 pm

Looked like at least 1k missing ncastle fans so on that basis 2k city fans that didn't buy tickets! feel this will be normal against teams like ncastle and it's normal for premiership you constantly see grounds with lots empty seats. Sky is the problem regarding floating fans :old:

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Leon1927 wrote:This is a common problem with playing in prem. Also most games on sky don’t help. Club is a business at the end of the day. I do think however there needs to be more kids seats available. We increased the capacity but we didn’t increase the family seats. Could have made an area of the ground family friendly. I think we would sell more seats for some of the less glamorous ties if there were more family seats available.

More empty seats in family stand than around ground Or it appeared that way :thumbup:

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:06 pm

ticket prices are expensive, you only had to look at the family stand attendance to see that. the club must understand that there are a lot of people who do not earn a big wage and their children are the future supporters.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Igovernor wrote:You can get tickets for city's home games for £25, if you want to pay for better seats then you can! £40 on the day is only for the best seats, not that the £25 ones on the day are not good :thumbup:

Wish i could find these £25 tickets,cheapest i can find for Fulham is one seat at the front of the canton for £27,add on the booking fees etc its £30.I think i paid £32 for Newcastle.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:24 pm

The OP is correct.

To use myself as an example (once a season ticket holder for 15years) owing to matters beyond my control, im strapped for cash. Did look for tickets for the Newcastle game, would love to have gone, but 2 together was £70. Its a 100mile round trip, so the day would have cost me more than a ton. Couldn't justify it.

Now the club does need to charge what it can, i have no problem with that, but if seats remain unsold, possibly drop the prices, at least I'll be able to come :)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:31 pm

They can't just drop the ticket prices for expensive seat just because they are not sold.

- everyone would wait until last minute to buy.
- No reward for early purchasers
- People will get pretty pissed off if they bought a £40 ticket weeks ago and someone next to them gets it for £20

There was plenty of cheap tickets available for this game, its just a bit of tough luck if people couldn't make the decision until late.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:45 pm

No family stand tickets available for general sale fir Newcastle so the empty seats must have been no shows. Maybe on holiday

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:06 pm

Magic Rat wrote:The OP is correct.

To use myself as an example (once a season ticket holder for 15years) owing to matters beyond my control, im strapped for cash. Did look for tickets for the Newcastle game, would love to have gone, but 2 together was £70. Its a 100mile round trip, so the day would have cost me more than a ton. Couldn't justify it.

Now the club does need to charge what it can, i have no problem with that, but if seats remain unsold, possibly drop the prices, at least I'll be able to come :)

ok so if it comes to £80 quid instead of £100 youll suddenly be able to go?

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:08 pm

....re the above post, yes, that £20 would have made all the difference last week. I would have just about have been able to scrape in.
Id left getting tickets as long as i could and fell just sort of the cash required :(

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:19 pm

20 quid an adult and 5 quid a kid would see the ground sell out most weeks.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:26 pm

I bet everybody finds a magic money tree in the next few weeks.

We got Arsenal Chelsea Man City coming up.

I also have a feeling we won’t have any trouble selling tickets for a certain home game on 22nd December three days before Christmas.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Yes, but selling out the "big gammes" (although I'd class the first home game in the Prem a "big game") isnt the issue. Although it might actually prove a point.

Id love the club to sell out every home game, at as high a price as possible, even if it means im priced out. But if not, dropping the price a little, might make the difference.
Anyway, lets hope the stadium is full between now and the end of the season, with the prices as they are

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:38 pm

rossblue wrote:20 quid an adult and 5 quid a kid would see the ground sell out most weeks.

Those prices were available in March by purchasing a season ticket!

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:43 pm

But, some people cant afford a season ticket Fred, even on finance.
Substitue "some" for "many"

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Makes me laugh, we are less than 3k from a full house (over 33k) the game is on TV and Newcastle didn’t sell their full allocation and some fans still find a reason to criticise the club.

I think that they have got it spot on. The pricing is about right and one of the cheapest in the Premier League. The club is providing a Premier product and the demand is there. Why should the club give tickets away for an £20 adult & £5 a child when the demand is there. I understand that a few fans may miss out or not be able to go as regularly as they wished however if you sold tickets at those prices there would be over 50k-100k people would want to go.

Many of the games this year will be sell outs and the fact that it was over 90% on Saturday regardless of the TV & Newcastle away allocation is a great turnout. :bluescarf:

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:54 pm

Understandable if you cannot afford a season ticket, but if the club sold at the prices you suggest at what price would the club pitch season tickets?
It is premier league football afterall and season tickets match day prices in the Canton are less than £16 a ticket.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:59 pm

fred keenor wrote:
rossblue wrote:20 quid an adult and 5 quid a kid would see the ground sell out most weeks.

which I fully took advantage of. however at the moment I am in a good place and am able to afford to pay for a season ticket. however not everyone can afford to do that, or cant get every weekend off work to watch the footy.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:39 pm

rossblue wrote:
fred keenor wrote:

which I fully took advantage of. however at the moment I am in a good place and am able to afford to pay for a season ticket. however not everyone can afford to do that, or cant get every weekend off work to watch the footy.

Boo hoo. We can't all afford what we want in life.

Fact of the matter is the club have some of the cheapest tickets in the league.