Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ashley Williams has opened up on

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Wales captain Ashley Williams has opened up on the horror injury he suffered during Wales’ 0-0 draw with Mexico for the first time.

Williams suffered a collapsed lung as well as multiple breaks on his ribs, making breathing incredibly difficult, after a collision with Javier Hernandez midway through the opening half of the game in Pasadena earlier this year.

It meant he had to stay in the United States for treatment while the remainder of the squad headed home.

And the defender admits it took him some time to fully grasp the seriousness of the injury.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Ashley Williams has opened up on

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:36 pm

Ashley Williams reveals the full story behind the picture that shocked football
The defender has spoken about his difficult year at club level and his injury against Mexico

By Ian Mitchelmore Sports Writer

5 SEP 2018

Wales captain Ashley Williams has opened up on the horror injury he suffered during Wales' 0-0 draw with Mexico for the first time.

Williams suffered a collapsed lung as well as multiple breaks on his ribs, making breathing incredibly difficult, after a collision with Javier Hernandez midway through the opening half of the game in Pasadena earlier this year.

It meant he had to stay in the United States for treatment while the remainder of the squad headed home.

And the defender admits it took him some time to fully grasp the seriousness of the injury.

"It was serious. At the time I didn’t see it like that, it might have been to do with the morphine!" said Williams.

The unknown players who will face Wales revealed as former Arsenal star takes charge of Denmark

"I just got on with it but I was in a lot of pain. It was all new to me and we were in a different country as well.

"That’s the most pain I’ve ever been in. It’s every breath with your ribs as anyone who has had that injury will know.

"I had to stay there for a while and then fly back over. That was just my time. It was a freakish one as well rather than a dangerous tackle or anything.

"The medical guys are brilliant as were the people who looked after me there and we got the procedure done quickly.

"It was worrying but more so after the event. It could’ve been a lot worse and it makes you think a bit but you know every time you put the shirt on it’s a possibility."

The defender has struggled to find his best form at club level over recent months but admits his loan move from Everton to Stoke City has helped revitalise his career.

The 34-year-old desperately struggled for form with the Toffees and did not play under Sam Allardyce for the remainder of the 2017/18 season following his dismissal in Everton's defeat to Burnley in March.

He joined Gary Rowett's Stoke on a season-long loan deal in the summer, although his struggles initially continued as the Potters endured a difficult start to life in the Championship while he was sent off again in his side's 3-0 loss to Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium last month.

It prompted a fierce debate among members of the Red Wall regarding the captaincy of the national side, with many suggesting the armband should be passed on to someone else due to Williams' struggles at club level while the defender himself admitted ahead of the China Cup that he had contemplated retiring from international football.

But he has since returned to club action to help his side beat Huddersfield Town 2-0 in the Carabao Cup prior to the international break and hopes to help the Potters rise up the table in the coming months of the season while Giggs confirmed last week that Williams will continue to skipper his country.

And speaking about his dip in form, Williams admits his move from Merseyside to Staffordshire has helped him enjoy his football once again while having the likes of Chris Mepham and Ethan Ampadu in the Wales squad has ensured he has a fight on his hands to retain his place in the national side.

"I’m really enjoying it at Stoke and getting that good feeling back to go to work everyday and trying to get myself back into the team," added the centre-back.

"That night (against Wigan) didn’t go well for us, including me. I’m trying to help as much as I can and to help get wins under our belts.
"I wanted to be playing football. There's at least two players in every position that can start for Wales so it’s difficult for the gaffer, I need to be playing and showing I’m fit.

"You have to play differently and you can’t rely on physicality completely when you get beyond 30.

"I’ve been questioning the gaffer as well because he stayed fit for so long. You need to look at sleeping, nutrition and the way you prepare for games. It’s something everyone thinks about after 30."

Williams will hope to lead out the national side for their Nations League opener against Republic of Ireland at Cardiff City Stadium on Thursday night.

He cut a dejected figure after the full-time whistle of the most recent meeting between the sides in October last year as Martin O'Neill's side ended Wales' hopes of reaching the World Cup with a 1-0 win over Chris Coleman's troops in the Welsh capital.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.