Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Men of Harlech ( a plea)

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:26 pm

Sounded awesome where I was sat in the ninian really got the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up. This would be a great song to sing and nobody could pinch it ie.Liverpool. Can you imagine this echoing around the stadium would give us real momentum. So come on you guys out there let’s learn this and really support the team and our heritage this could be our anthem.

Re: Men of Harlech ( a plea)

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:39 pm

it sounded great, and unique to Cardiff
Much better than the "Da da da da da da" :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:24 pm

I've always been embarrassed by the da da da da da da clap clap version. But Sundays version with all the words was excellent. If everyone could learn the words and the whole stadium joined in it would be awesome.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:45 pm

National anthem far better. Men of Harlech is cringe.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:45 pm

actionman wrote:Sounded awesome where I was sat in the ninian really got the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up. This would be a great song to sing and nobody could pinch it ie.Liverpool. Can you imagine this echoing around the stadium would give us real momentum. So come on you guys out there let’s learn this and really support the team and our heritage this could be our anthem.

Pick & Shovel is our song, noone could pinch that. We should all be singing it full volume. It would be great if they put the words up for it.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:47 pm

Dahboy wrote:National anthem far better. Men of Harlech is cringe.

Pick & Shovel and Hey Jude. One's a proper Cardiff anthem and the other gets the stadium rocking :bluescarf:

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:49 pm

Put the words up on the screens in the stadium when playing men of harlech now everbody is trying to sing it after a few home games should be sorted.if you thought it was loud against arsenal should have heard it against newcastle

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:25 pm

I've always wondered why we don't really use that, ( not properly anyway).
The native chant should be included , but separately.

It might involve people learning the words and it absolutely needs to be something like in tune, but it would be most intimidating and off - putting if done properly .

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:30 pm

No, forget the national anthem. Most people in Cardiff don't speak Welsh and unless it was done really properly it would sound f@@king awful !
Let's be honest, most of them would be miming and it's far too complicated for most people to get right

Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:04 am

actionman wrote:Sounded awesome where I was sat in the ninian really got the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up. This would be a great song to sing and nobody could pinch it ie.Liverpool. Can you imagine this echoing around the stadium would give us real momentum. So come on you guys out there let’s learn this and really support the team and our heritage this could be our anthem.

That post was going so well until you said 'you guys'.....we're Welsh not bloody Americans. Cut the lazy slang language butty and we may join you. :thumbup:

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:29 am

It sounded great. Men of Harlech, Mae hen wlad fy'n nhadau & I'll be there should all be mainstays on the terrace home and away. The generic songs are fine but these are ours.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:09 am

Sounds mint when both MOH and the National Anthem are sung. All for it! :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:21 am

Moonstomper wrote:it sounded great, and unique to Cardiff
Much better than the "Da da da da da da" :ayatollah:

I heard the Jacks trying to sing it in the Swans V Leeds game :banghead:

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Men Of Harlech belted out from the Red Wall would sound better with words instead of the da da da da da’s too

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Ha ha when it started off on Saturday it really winds me up when we go dah dah dah and I was shaking my head on Sunday against Arsenal so I started belting out the words then those around me followed suit then within 30 seconds the whole Canton was singing it.
Most do know the words so let’s put the dah dah dah in the bin and sing the damn thing. So much more impressive :D

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:49 pm

I 100% agree we need to sing the lyrics to this song and it will be our war cry.

We might need to agree on the lyrics, as a quick google search returns a lot of variations!

Someone want to put forward the lyrics we can all get on board with?

I love the national anthem too, and fully support us using it. Though it did make me laugh internally a little when we sang it (brilliantly) away at Bournemouth, with the only Welshman on the pitch being David Brooks for Bournemouth, but there we go. Get Jazz on the pitch and it can be his tribute, haha.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:53 pm

joethebluebird wrote:I 100% agree we need to sing the lyrics to this song and it will be our war cry.

We might need to agree on the lyrics, as a quick google search returns a lot of variations!

I love the national anthem too, and fully support us using it. Though it did make me laugh internally a little when we sang it (brilliantly) away at Bournemouth, with the only Welshman on the pitch being David Brooks for Bournemouth, but there we go. Get Jazz on the pitch and it can be his tribute, haha.

This is the one I feel is more familiar:

Men of Harlech, stop your dreaming
Can't you see their spearpoints gleaming
See their warrior pennants streaming
To this battle field

Men of Harlech stand ye steady
It can not be ever said ye
For the battle were not ready
Welshmen never yield

From the hills rebounding
Let this war cry sounding
Summon all at Cambria's call
The mighty foe surrounding

Men of Harlech on to glory
This will every be your story
Keep these burning words before ye
Welshmen will not yield

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:22 pm

joethebluebird wrote:I 100% agree we need to sing the lyrics to this song and it will be our war cry.

You give everyone different versions and you will send everyone back to square one. :lol: Different versions ? Only heard one version down the city so let’s stick with that one hey :notworthy: :notworthy:

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

You give everyone different versions and you will send everyone back to square one. :lol: Different versions ? Only heard one version down the city so let’s stick with that one hey :notworthy: :notworthy:

Ohh and it will send the lefties into meltdown as that was the version for the film Zulu and they get quite upset these days with that film :lol: :lol:

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Hence why I think it's a good idea to put the "correct" lyrics up here, while we're talking about it, to all learn it properly.

Care to share?

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:53 pm

joethebluebird wrote:Hence why I think it's a good idea to put the "correct" lyrics up here, while we're talking about it, to all learn it properly.

Care to share?

Somebody needs to put the proper lyrics up that we’re used on the advertising boards if hey can, there are 11 different versions alone on Rourkes Drift VC website

Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:36 pm

snoopystorm wrote:
joethebluebird wrote:Hence why I think it's a good idea to put the "correct" lyrics up here, while we're talking about it, to all learn it properly.

Care to share?

Somebody needs to put the proper lyrics up that we’re used on the advertising boards if hey can, there are 11 different versions alone on Rourkes Drift VC website

Someone has put the words up. Just before my post above :thumbup:

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:54 am

They need to be on the screen in the stadium though to get the ones who don't know the words to learn and join in,imagine the whole stadium singing it.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:59 am

City Slicker wrote:

Pick & Shovel and Hey Jude. One's a proper Cardiff anthem and the other gets the stadium rocking :bluescarf:

I agree Hey Jude would be great as the players are walking out and just prior to KO.
Pick and Shovel is brilliant and unique to us and would be great if it was sung more frequently but Men Of Harlech is definitely the one to get the blood flowing and make our own.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:12 pm

The lyrics sang by Cardiff City fans for many seasons have been the following verse and chorus repeated to keep it simple:

“Men of Harlech onto glory
This shall ever be your story
Welshmen will not yield

The mighty force surrounding”

You can add Calon Lan to our list of songs as well. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:17 pm

I’ve started this one on many away day! If you just belt out a “ON THE HILLS REBOUNDING”.. they all follow

Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:10 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:The lyrics sang by Cardiff City fans for many seasons have been the following verse and chorus repeated to keep it simple:

Welshmen will not yield

Agree this is the version that was shown on the ad boards around the stadium a few years back. Cant be anything wrong PC wise with that.

I always sang it never da da da'd it.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:24 pm

Gravity wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:The lyrics sang by Cardiff City fans for many seasons have been the following verse and chorus repeated to keep it simple:

Welshmen will not yield

Agree this is the version that was shown on the ad boards around the stadium a few years back. Cant be anything wrong PC wise with that.

I always sang it never da da da'd it.

Who gives a flying f**k about PC wise ?

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:28 am

Welshmen will not yield

I really like calon lan but not for football...its a traditional rugby anthem.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:53 am

bring back the old songs, including hey jude