' Ethan Ampadu insists '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Ethan Ampadu insists '

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:55 am

Ethan Ampadu insists he was only ever going to play for Wales

By Ian Mitchelmore

Sunday 9th September 2018

Ethan Ampadu hopes his international exploits with Wales will help him force his way into Maurizio Sarri's plans at Chelsea.

The 17-year-old made his first competitive start for Wales in the 4-1 demolition job of Republic of Ireland at Cardiff City Stadium on Thursday, less than a year after being handed his international debut by Chris Coleman against France.

The teenager - who turns 18 next week - produced a majestic display in the centre of the park against Martin O'Neill's side and earned rave reviews from the British and Irish media.

And Ampadu says he's been somewhat frustrated at his lack of game time at Stamford Bridge, but admits he's willing to keep working hard in order to make the Blues' Italian boss take notice.

"You could say there’s been frustration on one hand, but at the same time I’m getting experience training with their players and I’m just trying to improve to get into the team," he said.

"This season’s plans are this season’s plans and at the moment I’ve just to keep improving to try and get in the team and show the manager what I can do."

Exeter-born Ampadu's appearance in the emphatic win over Ireland ensured that his international future lies with the Red Dragons.

The youngster - who was previously eligible to represent England, Republic of Ireland and Ghana - has been highly thought of by the FAW for some time.

And after being handed his first competitive start for Wales by Ryan Giggs against Ireland, Ampadu admitted he had "always been thinking about Wales".

"There was talk, but for me I’ve always been thinking about Wales anyway," he added.

"As you could see tonight I really enjoy playing for Wales, the atmosphere, and everything around it.

"I’ve always felt part of the set-up and the senior players and staff have helped that."

Ampadu's appearance against the Irish was his first under new boss Giggs, and he couldn't have made a greater impression.

The 17-year-old - operating in front of the back four - delivered a composed and confident display as Wales got their Nations League campaign off to a dream start in Cardiff.

And Ampadu believes the blend of youth and experience within Wales' ranks has played a key role in ensuring everyone is on the same wavelength under Giggs.

"The older, more experienced players definitely help us settle in and that gives us more confidence to go out on the pitch and express ourselves," he added.

Wales 4-1 Republic of Ireland

"The main thing was to get the win. It was the first home game for the new manager and my first game playing under him.

"It’s very good to have some familiar faces there. Ben (Woodburn) is my room mate, but the older more experienced players have helped us to settle in.

"It’s about recovery now this game is done and dusted and now it’s on to Denmark. If I get more game time, I get more game time, I’ve just got to be ready."
Attachments
0_Wales-v-Republic-of-Ireland-UEFA-Nations-League-League-B-Group-4-Cardiff-City-Stadium.jpg
0_Wales-v-Republic-of-Ireland-UEFA-Nations-League-League-B-Group-4-Cardiff-City-Stadium.jpg (37.52 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

' Ethan Ampadu insists '

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Return to General Chat