Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Premier League clubs to have feeder clubs?

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:02 am

SHERWOOD ON FEEDER CLUBS

09/09/18

Former Spurs and Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood has called for a revamp of the English league system to introduce feeder clubs to teams in the Premier League in the lower leagues.

Sherwood feels it would benefit the development of young British players as they would be exposed to first-team football at a competitive level sooner than is currently the case.

The system has worked well in Spain where Barcelona B and Real Madrid's Castilla teams, amongst others, compete in the Segunda Division B - the equivalent of League One in England.

Re: Premier League clubs to have feeder clubs?

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:10 am

We could use Swansea or Bristol.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:45 am

I believe we need the complete opposite.

We need to stop the stockpiling of young players by the big clubs. Too many are wrapped up in the age groups and U23 system then farmed out to lower teams with their big salaries and little loyalty, then dumped with little real playing time.

Would a decent 15 year old leave Cardiff Citys youth system to go to Man city if they thought they may never get a break at Citeh, whereas he may get a better chance at Cardif or similar clubs.

Tom Lawrence is the same age as Joe Ralls and has made around 100 1st team appearances whereas Joe Ralls has doubled that.

Ethan Ampadu should have been bought by a big championship team or mid ranking premier club then gone top 6 as he may not get the game time he needs.
Look at Dele Alli he played over 60 first team games for MK Dons, learnt a lot about the game and himself when other we tossing around playing at half pace at the athletic stadium in the U23s system in front of family, 2 men and a dog. He was then ready to go to a top club and get straight into the first team match day squad.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:15 am

This story is follow on from Chelsea idea of loaning out all it's young players to lower league clubs!, it's a case of do fans of these clubs want to be watching a man u b side? It's ok in Spain as only got 2 clubs doing it, premiership got at least 6 clubs capable of fielding b sides elswhere. And what about other clubs in same league it could produce a lopsided league with b sides winning league every season who gets promoted ? :o

Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:28 pm

I think I recall that Vincent Tan also owns a club in Slovakia or somewhere which was supposed to be a feeder club but I don't think we've ever got a player from there. Anyone know what happened with that ?

Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:10 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:I think I recall that Vincent Tan also owns a club in Slovakia or somewhere which was supposed to be a feeder club but I don't think we've ever got a player from there. Anyone know what happened with that ?

Don't think was a feeder club more of he owns couple of clubs and raised the possibility of interaction between clubs! He as similar partnership in Malaysia which is on going . :old: