Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Should Slade be Honoured by cardiff

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:34 pm

It should take a remarkable managerial reign for a football manager to be honoured, Alex Ferguson deserves to be honoured for the years of service, success and dominance he gave to Man Utd. Russell Slade definitely doesn't deserve to be honoured, but he should definitely be thanked for what he did for our football club.

Slade had an incredible mess to sort out after Ole's disastrous reign. We were in free fall and I think Slade definitely steadied the ship, stopping us from plummeting down into League 1. Slade nearly got us into the playoffs and made the necessary cut backs required to make our club more financially stable. Slade was the correct manager to bring in at the correct time. Actually, I think Russell Slade was one of the most important managerial appointments in our clubs history, and I'm not joking!

I will never understand why some fans complained about Slade's "boring" football. We only lost at home twice in his one full season with us and he made us very difficult to beat. Fans moaning at Slade's style of play must have forgotten where Ole's "entertaining" football got us where we were sliced open at will by teams we finished well above in Malky's promotion season when we lost home to Hull 3-0 and home to Palace 4-0.

We actually played some decent stuff under Slade at times. He didn't even have a good enough natural striker to work with after all the cut backs he had to make, but he brought in Lex Immers and converted Pilkington to a striker, they forged a very successful partnership. Our 4-1 win home to Brighton was the highlight of Slade's full season with us and Slade wheeled and dealed impressively to offload the high earners and bring in the likes of Tom Lawrence on loan.

Unfortunately, because Slade was an ex PE teacher and lower league manager, it was easy for fans to slag him off. We were in free fall until Slade arrived and steadied the ship. Warnock never gets criticised for setting us up negatively to grind out an ugly 1-0 win. Nobody complained about Malky's football being boring. But with Slade, it was different. I was delighted Slade immediately got us more organised and more difficult to beat, even if it made us uglier to watch. It was what was required at the time to stop the rot and get us climbing the table.

Slade got us the results required to comfortably avoid the drop and he built on that with an 8th placed finish in his one and only full season with us. We actually only lost home twice in Slade's only full season with us. To be fair, the majority of our fans sympathised with Slade with those only 2 home defeats. We battered Hull, doing everything but score and we went down to 9 men against Leeds. We all applauded the players efforts as soon as Leeds put the second in, as we outplayed them with 9 men and gave it everything.

That's why I will never understand some of our fans. Everyone applauded the players efforts under Slade, he got the players giving their all for him and we only failed to make the playoffs because we fell away at the end with our lack of strength in depth from all the cut backs Slade had to make. But he's an ex PE teacher who had only managed lower league teams before us, so he wasn't "glamorous" enough for our fans and easy to criticise.

Personally, I will always appreciate what Russell Slade did for our football club, I will always stick up for Slade for the job he did and I will always defend Slade because of how disgracefully he was treated here by our fans. I have never seen a manager get so much unnecessary criticism for doing a very good job for us under difficult circumstances.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:56 am

No one cares if he was a teacher. No one would care if he was Jaba the hut. He was a shit manager who knew nothing of football Tonteg. No hero of any kind. He played Daelie as a duel midfilder, released Burgstaller on a free and payed money for Alex Revell for Christ sake. Shit manager, and done nothing since he left either..

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:03 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:It should take a remarkable managerial reign for a football manager to be honoured, Alex Ferguson deserves to be honoured for the years of service, success and dominance he gave to Man Utd. Russell Slade definitely doesn't deserve to be honoured, but he should definitely be thanked for what he did for our football club.

Slade had an incredible mess to sort out after Ole's disastrous reign. We were in free fall and I think Slade definitely steadied the ship, stopping us from plummeting down into League 1. Slade nearly got us into the playoffs and made the necessary cut backs required to make our club more financially stable. Slade was the correct manager to bring in at the correct time. Actually, I think Russell Slade was one of the most important managerial appointments in our clubs history, and I'm not joking!

I will never understand why some fans complained about Slade's "boring" football. We only lost at home twice in his one full season with us and he made us very difficult to beat. Fans moaning at Slade's style of play must have forgotten where Ole's "entertaining" football got us where we were sliced open at will by teams we finished well above in Malky's promotion season when we lost home to Hull 3-0 and home to Palace 4-0.

We actually played some decent stuff under Slade at times. He didn't even have a good enough natural striker to work with after all the cut backs he had to make, but he brought in Lex Immers and converted Pilkington to a striker, they forged a very successful partnership. Our 4-1 win home to Brighton was the highlight of Slade's full season with us and Slade wheeled and dealed impressively to offload the high earners and bring in the likes of Tom Lawrence on loan.

Unfortunately, because Slade was an ex PE teacher and lower league manager, it was easy for fans to slag him off. We were in free fall until Slade arrived and steadied the ship. Warnock never gets criticised for setting us up negatively to grind out an ugly 1-0 win. Nobody complained about Malky's football being boring. But with Slade, it was different. I was delighted Slade immediately got us more organised and more difficult to beat, even if it made us uglier to watch. It was what was required at the time to stop the rot and get us climbing the table.

Slade got us the results required to comfortably avoid the drop and he built on that with an 8th placed finish in his one and only full season with us. We actually only lost home twice in Slade's only full season with us. To be fair, the majority of our fans sympathised with Slade with those only 2 home defeats. We battered Hull, doing everything but score and we went down to 9 men against Leeds. We all applauded the players efforts as soon as Leeds put the second in, as we outplayed them with 9 men and gave it everything.

That's why I will never understand some of our fans. Everyone applauded the players efforts under Slade, he got the players giving their all for him and we only failed to make the playoffs because we fell away at the end with our lack of strength in depth from all the cut backs Slade had to make. But he's an ex PE teacher who had only managed lower league teams before us, so he wasn't "glamorous" enough for our fans and easy to criticise.

Personally, I will always appreciate what Russell Slade did for our football club, I will always stick up for Slade for the job he did and I will always defend Slade because of how disgracefully he was treated here by our fans. I have never seen a manager get so much unnecessary criticism for doing a very good job for us under difficult circumstances.

EVERYONE applauded ..well the 10k ST holders that regularly didnt turn up didnt.
as for this avoid the drop....are you on drugs...we were one of the favs to GO UP ffs.we had lost 3 out of 7 { all to good teams }same as eventual champions Bournemouth..Newcastle lost 3 out of 8 year before last..

we sacked OGS to avoid the drop??????????????????????? :o :o :o
what he did to our football club was half our ST sales and manage 11th with a top 6 squad..undoing 10 years of growth within a few months ....twist it all you like thats the realty....as for not having a striker well....your either Slade himself on very good meds or his mother..he didnt know how to use strikers, couldnt spot one in a bryant and may factory going by the crap he bought..but didnt have any..? waw..

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:47 am

yes, because i know he was there just to trim the squad down and keep the wage bill down BUT he is part of the history of Cardiff rebuilding towards the Premier League so no matter what you say he did an ok job considering he was under pressure from us fans and the Cardiff board. He done the best he could in a bad situation at Cardiff.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:35 am

No. I’d rather forget about the football under Slade to be honest.

If his objective was not to get relegated then he achieved that. That’s the only positive I can take from his time in charge. The football under him was terrible and Going to watch Cardiff felt more like a chore. Attendances reflected that. People can rave about him getting us to 8th but I think that a decent championship manager would have finished top 6 with the squad we had, regardless of what was going on off the pitch.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:22 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:It should take a remarkable managerial reign for a football manager to be honoured, Alex Ferguson deserves to be honoured for the years of service, success and dominance he gave to Man Utd. Russell Slade definitely doesn't deserve to be honoured, but he should definitely be thanked for what he did for our football club.

I agree Tonteg! For some to state that he was sh.t is beyond. I think we saw the true colours of some of our fans when he was a manager. To think we finished 8th when we had all the rebrand knightmare going on until Jan that season. Many fans were against him and shouting abuse. All this against him plus the mess he had to sort out, imagine how well we would have done if we hadn’t had all that. I think he would have or us well into the play offs at the least. Fans were angry because we had got relegated were still in red for a while and thing had gone bad under Ole. Slade was written off before he even got started and I for one was disgusted at how some of our fans behaved then. I’m just glad I’m not one of that minority!