Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sutton/Jason explosive live radio row over 'awful' Cardiff

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:25 am

Chris Sutton and BBC's Jason Mohammed embroiled in explosive live radio row over 'awful' Cardiff City

Monday 10th September 2018

Former Chelsea striker Chris Sutton has added to his astonishing Cardiff City prediction from the start of the season in another explosive row.

Sutton, on air with Cardiff fan and BBC 5Live presenter Jason Mohammed claimed the Bluebirds were "awful" and reiterated his stance that Neil Warnock's side were certainly doomed for relegation.

Sutton, in an argument with former Wales star Robbie Savage, claimed Cardiff could break Derby's lowest ever Premier League points total — before the season had even started.

And he now questioned whether Cardiff would even win a game this season, triggering another row with Mohammad.

This is how the row unfolded, live on air

It started with the duo going back over Sutton's previous comments with Mohammed very critical of the "lazy" pundit.

Sutton: "Did you not say that Jason because I'd never been to Cardiff... I don't need to go to Cardiff to tell you they're awful. I just watched them.

Mohammed: "You hadn't watched them! You hadn't even seen them play."

Sutton: "I know enough about Cardiff. I know they're going down. I know they weren't fancied to come up last season and that they proved everybody wrong — prove me wrong this season! Neil Warnock doesn't even know who his first choice striker is."

Neil Warnock speaks with Harry Arter after Cardiff's draw at Huddersfield (Image: 2018 Getty Images)

Mohammed then questions why Sutton is so confident the Bluebirds will go down, pointing out that Warnock's transfer spend of roughly £20million isn't the best arbiter.

Sutton: "What you do Jason is look at the other squads and the other teams. Fulham have spent £100million... it's about recruitment, it's about ambition. And I'm not saying Cardiff don't have ambition to stay in the Premier League, of course they do, but when you look at what Fulham have done and how Wolves won the Championship, you compare."

Sutton then claimed it was "irrelevant" and he was "not interested" that in the last 10 seasons two-thirds of promoted sides have stayed up in the Premier League, as pointed out by Mohammad.

Sutton rubbished claims that Cardiff's team spirit could be a deciding factor in keeping them up, adding: "You could get 11 people out of a pub that had team spirit.

"He (Warnock) has never stayed in the Premier League."

Mohammed said: "He's got a lot to prove as well though hasn't he? We were fourth from bottom in the Championship, he came along and rescued us that season, the most unfancied team to get promotion from the Championship.

"I know a couple of the players, they've got phenomenal team spirit, they've got young players who have an opportunity to be a Premier League side."

And though Cardiff have drawn two of their first four games, pushing Arsenal very close in the process, Sutton had the final word and posed the final question.

"Do you think Cardiff will win a game this season?" he asked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Sutton/Jason explosive live radio row over 'awful' Cardi

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:42 am

Whenever we win we should ring in or text 606 to make sure Mr Sutton has to acknowledge it. :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:21 am

The same Sutton who was crying on Twitter when Celtic got knocked out of the Champions League and Jason Mohammed asked how they got on?

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:57 am

Watched the video on MOTD facebook page.

I think Sutton is saying it purely for a reaction. However, it is lazy, but he makes some valid points as does Jason Mohammed. It's down to us to prove everyone wrong, you only have to read the comments on the post on facebook to realise that we're not liked and the misconceptions about our style of play and indeed our players. f**k em, worry about ourselves. I've seen more than enough to know we can compete at this level and there are definitely at least 3 worse teams than us in this league! :bluescarf: :bluebird: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:22 pm

I listen to the podcast every week. First off the heading is poor it wasn't explosive, it's clearly banter between the two. Sutton admitted the other week when he said it, it was all tongue in cheek, but since then Cardiff had not scored a goal, and Warnock come out and said he didn't know who his best striker was. Sutton still stands by the fact he firmly believes we will be relegated and there's nothing wrong with that, but he will joke about with the worse than derby stat until we actually surpass it.

Honestly nothing wrong in his opinion, this forum of lately seems to be copying and pasting any shit and using click bait titles to get views.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:41 pm

My hate for Chris sutton is growing every word that daft prick speaks. Grade A arsehole

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:22 pm

I think Chris Sutton is great! He should be given an houanry membership of planet swans where he could share all his bitterness with other like minded individuals. He could be their guest speaker at the Christmas Party. :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:18 pm

Everything that Sutton says is purely for a reaction, always has been.

Harry Arter was right when he said that Sutton is trying to be controversial to get a bigger job.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:53 pm

mugsy wrote:Whenever we win we should ring in or text 606 to make sure Mr Sutton has to acknowledge it. :ayatollah:

Or " Are you watching Chris Sutton!!! "

Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:55 pm

every pundit (and fan) is entitled to their honest opinion, but this clearly strays into saying something for shock value to make headlines. at the very least we are committed and organised, whereas derby were a shambles from start to finish.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:47 pm

Am I the only one who loves listening to Sutton and his wind up banter where as I always feel that J.M.sounds very forced with his . And is he really a City supporter or does he just need a team to join in

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:15 am

coming from an average players whose best days were in the Scottish League which he praises as good it sums him all up really ,grade A bellend