Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Giggs continues to not sing the Welsh national anthem

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:41 am

Giggs continues to not sing the Welsh national anthem :shock:

Re: Giggs continues to not sing the Welsh national anthem

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:40 am

grange_end1927 wrote:Giggs continues to not sing the Welsh national anthem :shock:

So feckin what.Drama queen :lol:

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:43 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:
grange_end1927 wrote:Giggs continues to not sing the Welsh national anthem :shock:

Drama queen? :? :shock: :roll:

I think the OP makes a valid point. If the Cardiff born Wales manager had an ounce of pride or passion for his country (rather than his TV confirmed adopted "we" country of Engerland) he would sing or at least mouth the words to his national anthem!

Or perhaps you think he should have knelt down on one knee in protest of the injustices of Welsh born players who really wanted to play for said Engerland? :? ;)

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:44 am

Well although he was born in Cardiff, he left there when he was 5 or 6 and was brought up in Manchester.
How do you expect him to sing in Welsh ?

Half the silly buggers are only miming anyway after the first line or two and everyone knows it, so perhaps he doesn't want to join the charade.
If there are many people here who claim to either know it properly or understand it all the way through I'll doubt that they're being truthful

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:49 am

Ampedu sang it all the way through no mumbles great to see

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:41 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Well although he was born in Cardiff, he left there when he was 5 or 6 and was brought up in Manchester.

Half the silly buggers are only miming anyway after the first line or two and everyone knows it, so perhaps he doesn't want to join the charade.
If there are many people here who claim to either know it properly or understand it all the way through I'll doubt that they're being truthful

I disagree. I know it word for word and have since I was a boy and no I'm not a welsh speaker!

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:05 pm

If you look he was at least moving his mouth or maybe he was just chewing gum? If so there was some players doing the same as they certainly wasnt singing out loud! besides its a well known fact lots people are to tense ect ect to sing their anthem, but let's find something else to bash giggs with wonder what's next? :roll:

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:26 pm

Sven wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:

I think the OP makes a valid point. If the Cardiff born Wales manager had an ounce of pride or passion for his country (rather than his TV confirmed adopted "we" country of Engerland) he would sing or at least mouth the words to his national anthem!

Or perhaps you think he should have knelt down on one knee in protest of the injustices of Welsh born players who really wanted to play for said Engerland? :? ;)

England is his adopted country ffs, has lived there for 40 years since a child..
i know lots of people of English and Italian origin who call both Wales and their birth country WE.
its called intigrating..

but eh oh keep up the closed minded bashing..

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:28 pm

RYANBLUE wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:Well although he was born in Cardiff, he left there when he was 5 or 6 and was brought up in Manchester.

I disagree. I know it word for word and have since I was a boy and no I'm not a welsh speaker!

Same here.If your Welsh,then you need to learn your national anthem full stop.It also helps knowing that our anthem is one of the greatest anthems in the world,in my eyes it is the best."LEARN IT GIGGS" :bluebird:

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:45 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:

:shock: :o

dick

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:44 pm

That’s weird the camera panned in on him singing it during the Ireland game.

But hey who am I to point out the truth to the we hate Ryan Giggs haters.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:16 pm

I hate it when people know the words to the Welsh anthem, but don’t know what they mean when translated. :lol:

Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:32 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:I hate it when people know the words to the Welsh anthem, but don’t know what they mean when translated. :lol:

Very true. What makes me laugh is all those who call themselves proud and passionate welshmen yet can’t speak the language and make no effort to learn it. Basically then just English but with a Welsh accent :shock:

Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:52 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:I hate it when people know the words to the Welsh anthem, but don’t know what they mean when translated. :lol:

Very true. What makes me laugh is all those who call themselves proud and passionate welshmen yet can’t speak the language and make no effort to learn it. Basically then just English but with a Welsh accent :shock:

That’s the biggest bullshit I’ve ever read in my life.. so because people don’t speak Welsh there pretty much English :lol: :lol:

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:54 pm

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

That’s the biggest bullshit I’ve ever read in my life.. so because people don’t speak Welsh there pretty much English :lol: :lol:

Just to confirm, my comment was tonge-in-cheek as I only speak about five words of Welsh myself. :thumbup:

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:55 pm

Neither did I on Thursday.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:43 pm

If we had won the match would this question of been asked ? But he did mumble s little bit :lol:

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:11 am

sir ninian wrote:
RYANBLUE wrote:

Same here.If your Welsh,then you need to learn your national anthem full stop.It also helps knowing that our anthem is one of the greatest anthems in the world,in my eyes it is the best."LEARN IT GIGGS" :bluebird:

Yes I happen to know it too. I did used to be able to speak Welsh, ( the proper version rather that the s4c / school learned gibberish). I say, " used to" because I haven't had much call to use it for a long time. Thing is though that in reality most people in that area don't speak Welsh and so they only be singing words they don't understand if they did learn it parrot fashion.

That's probably another conversation, but as far as Giggs is concerned it'd be daft to expect him to either learn Welsh or try and sound out the words when they're singing the anthem - it'd be dishonest on his part if anything. Don't you remember that MP who was sec state for Wales who made himself look like a complete pudding trying to mime it ?

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:15 am

dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:

England is his adopted country ffs, has lived there for 40 years since a child..
i know lots of people of English and Italian origin who call both Wales and their birth country WE.
its called intigrating..

Yet he (Giggs) got the job on the back of being this supposed 'proud' Welshman? :?

He (like you) can't have it both ways! :roll:

PS: it's integrating and that specific word doesn't fit the example you gave, if you're going to be playing your pedantic games) ;) :thumbright:

Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:52 am

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:

its called intigrating..

Yet he (Giggs) got the job on the back of being this supposed 'proud' Welshman? :?

He (like you) can't have it both ways! :roll:

PS: it's integrating and that specific word doesn't fit the example you gave, if you're going to be playing your pedantic games) ;) :thumbright:

what a load of narrow minded crap.
he went to school in England..lived 40 years in England..his friends are English and his children were born there...what sort of person thinks as you do for christ sakes..and yes you can still be and feel a proud welshman..but i doubt the FAW appointment was based soley on a who is the most Welsh competition..thats just ANOTHER svenism
i dont think thats him or me wanting it both ways....its just being reasonable.

my spelling is not great but god im in some top notch company there, as for you spell checking, your in the company of some real pompous beauts..

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:36 am

What a thread :laughing6:

At least we are more unified on Cardiff City :thumbup: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:48 am

Carpe Diem wrote:

this guy thinks only 19% of the population of Wales are actually Welsh :laughing5: :wave:

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:52 am

what sort of national manager he will be only time will tell.

but he IS our national team manager and all this knives out over anything and everything is just wrong.
and super hypocritical when others are not judged by the same yard stick

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:01 am

dogfound wrote:what sort of national manager he will be only time will tell.

but he IS our national team manager and all this knives out over anything and everything is just wrong.
and super hypocritical when others are not judged by the same yard stick

Most people on this forum are miserable assholes who can’t wait for somebody or something to fail.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Why is this thread in English?

Or is it continuing not to be in Welsh?

Anyway, if Giggs doesn't want to sing it, no probs...in this country he's free to choose.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:19 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Why is this thread in English?

Or is it continuing not to be in Welsh?

Anyway, if Giggs doesn't want to sing it, no probs...in this country he's free to choose.

because most of these super offended nationalistic zealots can not speak welsh and probably think the actual lyrics to men of Harlech are da da da da da da in Welsh.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyHr-4SeILI

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:13 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

this guy thinks only 19% of the population of Wales are actually Welsh :laughing5: :wave:

More like 19% are true Welsh. What better identity can a country have than its language?
Many in Wales will declare they’re a passionate Welshman, even hate the English, yet speak their language first and not their own. Many of these will sing the anthem in some pigeon form, bumbling through it with no idea what it even means.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:18 pm

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

Seemingly more English than welsh, yes. What differentiates you otherwise, your accent? :roll:

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:08 am

Carpe Diem wrote:
BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

Seemingly more English than welsh, yes. What differentiates you otherwise, your accent? :roll:

learning the welsh language doesnt make you any more welsh than learning the german language makes you german....