Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Giggs continues to not sing the Welsh national anthem

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:14 am

deadmouse wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:I hate it when people know the words to the Welsh anthem, but don’t know what they mean when translated. :lol:

Very true. What makes me laugh is all those who call themselves proud and passionate welshmen yet can’t speak the language and make no effort to learn it. Basically then just English but with a Welsh accent :shock:

That’s the biggest bullshit I’ve ever read in my life.. so because people don’t speak Welsh there pretty much English :lol: :lol:

Seemingly more English than welsh, yes. What differentiates you otherwise, your accent? :roll:

learning the welsh language doesnt make you any more welsh than learning the german language makes you german....

I’ve mentioned above that my comment was tonge in cheek, but that’s a very good point to be fair.

I didn’t try during Welsh lessons in school (many years ago), but kept my efforts for subjects that were going to improve my chances of getting a job in South Wales such as English, Maths, IT and Science as I had no interest in being a tour guide at St Fagans National Museum of History. Plus, our Welsh teacher was a JB, so if you listened to him you got bullied, hence the entire class would play Chess instead.

My way of ticking the patriotic box is by supportinging a Welsh football team and I even watched Pobol y cwm once.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 am

deadmouse wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:I hate it when people know the words to the Welsh anthem, but don’t know what they mean when translated. :lol:

Very true. What makes me laugh is all those who call themselves proud and passionate welshmen yet can’t speak the language and make no effort to learn it. Basically then just English but with a Welsh accent :shock:

That’s the biggest bullshit I’ve ever read in my life.. so because people don’t speak Welsh there pretty much English :lol: :lol:

Seemingly more English than welsh, yes. What differentiates you otherwise, your accent? :roll:

learning the welsh language doesnt make you any more welsh than learning the german language makes you german....

Of course it does.
And learning German doesn’t make you German, but it makes you more German than if you couldn’t speak the language. Pretty obvious really. If you were born and bred in Germany would you opt out of speaking the language and still be looked upon as being fully patriotic and as German as somebody who could speak the language?

Clearly it’s not just about language as where you are born, family history etc also play a part, but language is more often than not the clear differentiator between countries.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:44 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:
deadmouse wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

I’ve mentioned above that my comment was tonge in cheek, but that’s a very good point to be fair.

I didn’t try during Welsh lessons in school (many years ago), but kept my efforts for subjects that were going to improve my chances of getting a job in South Wales such as English, Maths, IT and Science as I had no interest in being a tour guide at St Fagans National Museum of History. Plus, our Welsh teacher was a JB, so if you listened to him you got bullied, hence the entire class would play Chess instead.

My way of ticking the patriotic box is by supportinging a Welsh football team and I even watched Pobol y cwm once.

What’s stopping you learning welsh now?
Your post sadly pretty much sums up the apathetic attitude of many in Wales.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:10 am

Carpe Diem wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:
deadmouse wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

it doesn't make you any more Welsh though...I actually know a couple of English people that moved down and are having lessons...sorry they will never ever be as welsh as ME...only as Welsh as you..

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:47 pm

dogfound wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:
deadmouse wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

it doesn't make you any more Welsh though...I actually know a couple of English people that moved down and are having lessons...sorry they will never ever be as welsh as ME...only as Welsh as you..

Another nonsensical post from dogfound :oops:

You're either Welsh or you're not...doesn't matter where you live or whether you talk the lingo; a 'modern' trend in the principality rather than an 'historic' one since it was drowned out by the English industrialists who constantly feared plots against them when in Wales! ;)

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:02 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

So what happens, if you're born dumb? Does that make you less Welsh? Do they use Welsh sign language maybe instead of BSL?

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:
deadmouse wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

Another nonsensical post from dogfound :oops:

You're either Welsh or you're not...doesn't matter where you live or whether you talk the lingo; a 'modern' trend in the principality rather than an 'historic' one since it was drowned out by the English industrialists who constantly feared plots against them when in Wales! ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
sorry..but i feel welsh enough as i am....nonsensical then ramble into an inaccurate crumb size history of Wales lesson for us minions... :lol:
the welsh population doubled between 1800 and 1850 and again between 1850 and 1900...mostly through non welsh speaking imigrants.. so feared plots against them in welsh when the majority of workers were English speaking imigrants doesnt really work..

Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:29 am

nubbsy wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

this guy thinks only 19% of the population of Wales are actually Welsh :laughing5: :wave:

Well that's a generous estimate actually. This probably isn't the place to get into a detailed discussion on the subject but as I pointed out here recently the populous areas of South East Wales had hardly any inhabitants before coal, shipping and the industrial revolution brought a flood of workers not only from the rest of the U.K but from all over the world for jobs.

Before that it's an historically repeating process of various ethnic groups being driven to the margins of the country by successive invaders. Celts driven there by Britons, celts displaced first by Romans then Saxons who in turn fled to the area we now call Wales when displaced by new conquerors and so in ad infinitum.
The borders of Wales have always been indistinct and have constantly changed , and families have intermixed through all this time. In fact the idea of Wales being a country is very new and has taken on momentum in recent decades as part of divisive political and globalist machinations.

The language itself isn't actually Welsh either. It's the lingua Franca of the ancient Britons ( the language which all the tribes who had their own dialects shared ) This is why Caractacus , ( Caradog), who was a Catavallaunae from modern Hertfordshire was able to flee to modern Wales and communicate sufficiently to gather a new army. Unlike Irish and Scots forms of Gaelic , it has remained quite true to its original form and you would expect Bodecea to have understood modern Welsh for this reason.

People will probably have a fit with me for saying all this of course, but I'm afraid it's quite true even if it upsets anyone's romantic illusions of history and genealogy.

You'd have to define what it is to be Welsh to start counting, but you really can't. A man born in Chepstow or Chester in the fifties could be registered as Welsh and a man born at the same time in Newport could equally consider himself English since the status of these places was unclear until defined by a referrendum in the early sixties .
Go a bit further and you'd find that the border changed continuously and for long periods simply didn't exist .