Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Martin O'Neill: "I WANT HARRY ARTER RETURN"

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:01 am

Martin O'Neill wants Harry Arter and Declan Rice back next month but reveals injury blow for Seamus Coleman
By Kevin Palmer

Wednesday 12th September 2018

Martin O'Neill confirmed he hopes to have Declan Rice and Harry Arter back in his squad for next month's UEFA Nations League games against Denmark and Wales in Dublin, as he hailed his back-up players after a spirited 1-1 draw in Poland.

Aiden O'Brien marked his international debut with a fine goal and while Mateusz Klich's late leveller denied O'Neill a chance to secure a morale boosting away win, the Ireland boss was proud of the effort of his players after a chaotic build-up dominated by the row between Arter and Keane.

Arter has opted to halt his international career while he considers whether to return to a set-up that still includes Keane, with the emergence of a WhatsApp audio message of defender Stephen Ward discussing the row between the duo piling pressure on the Ireland management duo, but O'Neill suggested he got the response he wanted from his players in Wroclaw.

"It was a brilliant effort by the players and we will step forward for the two games now next month," stated O'Neill. "It was a great effort and it was just disappointing that we didn't see it through."

Rice is considering his international options amid interest from England and Arter has decided to return to the Ireland set-up after his row with Keane, yet O'Neill was asked whether he expects the duo to return to his set-up next month.

"That would be nice (to have the duo back) and in an ideal world that would be terrific," he added. "I hope that will be the case. Confidence has been restored after this performance and we are ready to go in those games."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: O'Neill: I WANT ARTER RETURN

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:24 am

O'Neill = BULLSHIT. He didn't address the dispute, bad leader IMO.

Arter is better off staying put. Unless Keane comes on 2 knees with the apology Arter deserves he and IRE can do one.

Re: O'Neill: I WANT ARTER RETURN

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:31 am

TheHangedMan wrote:O'Neill = BULLSHIT. He didn't address the dispute, bad leader IMO.

Arter is better off staying put. Unless Keane comes on 2 knees with the apology Arter deserves he and IRE can do one.

With you on that, fella! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Re: Martin O'Neill: "I WANT HARRY ARTER RETURN"

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:03 am

Harry Arter is keen to return to the Ireland squad

By Luke Edwards

September 12

Harry Arter is keen to return to the Ireland squad for the next round of international fixtures following his heated argument with Roy Keane, with captain Seamus Coleman acting as a peace broker.

Arter, who is expected to have his say on the row later this week, rejected a call up when he was named in the squad for the League of Nations game against Wales and last night's friendly in Poland, but he has been in touch with both Coleman and manager Martin O'Neill to try and solve the problem.

One of the reasons given for his reluctance to join up with the Ireland squad was the argument he had with assistant manager Keane during their summer training camp, although O'Neill stressed there were other issues, in the player's personal and professional life following a move to Cardiff City on deadline day, behind the decision.

Keane was furious with both Arter (pictured) and Jonathan Walters for missing training sessions because of injuries back in May and a leaked audio message from Stephen Ward has put a graphic and expletive-ridden account of the argument into the public domain this week.

That version of events has been rejected by O'Neill but he admitted the bust-up had soured Arter's relationship with Keane.

That is likely to mean the pair will have to meet each other to resolve matters before Arter can return to the squad. Ireland face Wales and Denmark in Dublin in October.

Arter is one of the few Ireland players starting regularly in the Premier League and has earned all of his 13 caps under O'Neill, who met the midfielder to discuss his future before this international break.

Coleman has also been in contact with the 28-year-old to play a part in easing the tension and the players are willing to accept him back into the squad.

Irish Independent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:05 am

'You're treading on eggshells every day' - Harry Redknapp on Roy Keane row and how the game has changed

Wednesday 12th September 2018

Harry Redknapp has said that managers can no longer berate players like they used to in the past after being asked about Roy Keane's altercations with Jon Walters and Harry Arter.

Martin O'Neill found himself having to defend his "brilliant" assistant manager as they prepared for tonight's friendly in Poland after an alleged foul-mouthed rant from the former United skipper.

Audio emerged on social media supposedly of defender Stephen Ward outlining a version of Keane's training ground altercation with the pair during the summer.

In it, Ward claims that Keane called Cardiff midfielder Arter, who is on loan from Bournemouth, a "p****" and a "c***".

The manager admitted last week that Arter's decision to make himself unavailable for Ireland could have been down to the row, but disputed the detail of the account provided by Ward - who was not there at the time.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Redknapp said that modern players will no longer tolerate being ranted at.

"You've got to tread a bit more careful than you used to that's for sure, it's a very different game to manage these modern players," he said.

"You can't be steaming into them every day because they don't have it anymore.

"Years ago I think we used to sit there and take it and the manager would shout and scream at you. It's not done anymore. I'm not saying that Roy... I don't know what's going on there. It's a very different game today.

"The players are very, very sensitive. They've all got agents who ring the chairmen when you upset them. You're treading on eggshells every day really."

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:52 am

The one thing that has impressed me through all of this is Harry Arter himself :thumbright:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Arter simply told the Republic of Ireland that he was unavailable for selection for this round of games 'for personal reasons' and it is others who have snowballed the stories that have ensued since...

Harry Arter himself appears to have stayed silent on the topic whilst others (mainly outside the Republic of Ireland set up) have chased the story

We may one day get Harry Arter's side to the story but to date, I think the guy has shown a bit of class! :clap:

It could. of course, be said that Boy Keane has remained silent, too; but given his part as the villain of the piece, it shows a certain lack of class that he cannot front up when he must surely know by now he got it wrong! :(

I hope Harry After goes back to the Republic of Ireland squad and plays his part (maybe minus Boy Keane) :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Arter in talks to take Sean Morrison to 'sort out' Boy Keane with the Republic of Ireland! ;) :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=200239

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Sven wrote:Arter in talks to take Sean Morrison to 'sort out' Boy Keane with the Republic of Ireland! ;) :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=200239

Imagine if Keane is sitting in the dressing room on his own and in walks Arter, with his minder Morrison, for a chat! :laughing6: