Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SEAN MORRISON - " Ireland "

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:28 pm

According to the media he’s in talks to be called up to Ireland national team. Could be facing wales in the nations league if it happens

Morrison linked with shock Ireland call-up

Tuesday 12th September 2018

Cardiff City captain Sean Morrison could be in line to represent of the Republic of Ireland next month, after being watched by Roy Keane according to reports.

The 27-year-old was born in Plymouth but qualifies for Ireland, by having two Irish grandparents. Keane watched Morrison in Cardiff’s 0-0 draw with Huddersfield Town last month.

Morrison is uncapped at international level and would be free to join up with Martin O’Neill’s men. Back in 2011, former Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni identified Morrison as someone who could play for Ireland.

He could line up against Wales in the UEFA Nations League at the Aviva Stadium, if talks are successful, so say EatSleepSport.

The former Reading defender was part of the Cardiff defence that boasted the best defensive record last season, conceding the fewest goals in the Sky Bet Championship.

Morrison’s efforts in Cardiff’s remarkable promotion campaign, saw him awarded the Bluebirds’ Player of the Season, as voted for by the supporters.

Ireland already have two Premier League centre-backs in Ciaran Clark of Newcastle United and Shane Duffy of Brighton & Hove Albion. But

it is claimed O’Neill is eager to add to his back line following the retirement of John O’Shea and Morrison could be a viable option going forward.

He could be the fourth Irish international to play for Cardiff, with Anthony Pilkington and Greg Cunnignham also tied to Ireland, as well as Harry Arter.

Re: SEAN MORRISON - " Ireland "

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Good luck to him on a personal level as recognition if it comes off, though I would prefer if he didn't bother and concentrated on City. On the other hand he might help Arter sort out Keano

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Chris Holmes wrote:Good luck to him on a personal level as recognition if it comes off, though I would prefer if he didn't bother and concentrated on City. On the other hand he might help Arter sort out Keano

I also wish him good luck.

wish he could slot in at CB for Wales mind :(

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Chris Holmes wrote:Good luck to him on a personal level as recognition if it comes off, though I would prefer if he didn't bother and concentrated on City. On the other hand he might help Arter sort out Keano

First thing I thought was he 's going as Harry Arter's 'minder'! :thumbright: :lol: :clap:

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:55 pm

I often wondered if he had Irish connections , with his name.
Ireland are not blessed with a big player pool anymore ( not like in Jack Charltons day),so good luck to him .

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks to whoever edited this :thumbright:

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:37 pm

Go on Mozza, smack Keane in the face and shut him up.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:07 pm

If he fancies it, good luck to him!

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:54 am

He should hang on and see how the season goes, because he might well be a candidate for England if things go well