Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Do we need to finish expanding the stadium?

Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Nope. Selling out the ground doesn't mean you need to fully expand the stadium. I think I read somewhere we can take this ground to roughly 60,000. Yes, we sold out the Arsenal and City game but we didn't sell out the Newcastle game...so by looks of things we'll probably only sell out top 6,7,8 max. That doesn't warrant an expansion in our first season back in the prem at all. If we can stay up and kick on and we're always selling out, then we can talk.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:34 pm

snoopystorm wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
snoopystorm wrote:Heard the same argument when the stadium was being planned... do we need a bigger stadium when Ninnian Park is perfect for what we need.......the decision back then wasnt welcomed with open arms, heard a lot of people say they would boycott a new stadium, fast forward x amount of years and now do we need more seats?

Short answer yes, the bigger games sell out rapidly, season tickets sell out rapidly in the want to be areas (USW Stand)......

OP mention Man Utd and big 6 teams, they are the bread and butter of income for the smaller teams, in business terms it would be stupid not to take full advantage of that financial gain, so yes adding a new tier or more seats makes perfect sense... Man Utd benefited financially by opening new seating areas in the upper quadrants, Arsenal and Man City benefited from newer improved stadiums with more seating, Spurs have benefited from using Wembley and will further benefit from their new stadium, West Ham.... ok they haven’t benefited on the pitch and there’s ongoing issues but seating wise they have benefitted from the switch to a bigger stadium, our noises neighbours did too when they moved from the vetch to the Liberty.

Clubs survive from ‘bums in seats’ and shirt sales as their main income throughout the season so more seats means more financial stability, ultimately results in larger transfer kitties :thumbright:

Agree with a lot of what you say apart from the last bit.

What Clubs get from match day ticket sales through the season is a drop in the ocean.

You would be lucky to pay 7-8 of our squad one weeks wage of what we take in match day ticket sales.

It obviously helps but Clubs don't survive on it far from it.

What I meant by the last part is it’s gaurenteed income throughout the season, advertising is a lump sum at the start, sales of tickets and shirts are a weekly/fortnightly income, I can see what your saying about one weeks wages for several players but that’s for us, on the whole the sales of tickets and shirts go back into the club and part of that is funnelled into the transfer kitty, so more seats means more revenue for any club ultimately resulting in a larger transfer pot to play with

Your right it's guaranteed income mate but it's minuscule. The TV money drives the transfer budget for a Club like us and most others 100% and nothing else.

If we increased our capacity by 5,000 and sold every ticket at an average of £30 a ticket it would be £150k a game. £2,850,000 over a season minus the running cost's of the stadium, the police bill etc etc. You would be lucky to get a £1 Million profit on that and I doubt it would go into a transfer kitty and what could you get for that anyway.

Shirt sales through the season again, is a non event, the Club shop probably takes in hardly anything, I would be amazed if we were selling 100 shirts a week at what £50 a pop, that's 5k a week, lets say they sold another £20k of merchandise a week (I very much doubt they do) that's £25k a week minus running costs. £20k a week net profit £960,000 a year, even if we sold 25,000 shirts in August that would lump of £1,250,000 taking it up to £2,210,000.

That's over a season! Say our entire playing squad of 25 are on an average of £15k a week, that's £3 Million in two months and your tickets sales and merchandise for an entire season gone!.

The benefit of expanding the stadium would be to give us more exposure, make us a bigger club and for people to take notice, and of course success, Arsenal signed a deal with Visit Rwanda to sponsor their sleeve for £30 Million, and Utd with Kohler for £20 Million, that's where the money is mate. The top sides are getting £40-50 Million + a season from their shirt sponsorship's, DHL even paid Man Utd £10 Million a year to sponsor their training kit.

We don't get any of that, I doubt Nathaniel Car Sales are paying even a Million quid to sponsor the family stand.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:48 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:Nope. Selling out the ground doesn't mean you need to fully expand the stadium. I think I read somewhere we can take this ground to roughly 60,000. Yes, we sold out the Arsenal and City game but we didn't sell out the Newcastle game...so by looks of things we'll probably only sell out top 6,7,8 max. That doesn't warrant an expansion in our first season back in the prem at all. If we can stay up and kick on and we're always selling out, then we can talk.

You say we didn't sell out the Newcastle game but that doesn't sell the entire story. Capacity is 33,280.

Attendance 30,720.

However, Newcastle took their full allocation and sold 1,500 odd? so you had almost half the away end empty add on segregation, then the Club in their fantastic wisdom had the game as sold out on e:ticketing on more than one occasion so people thought it was sold out.

Also, no we won't sell out for the lesser games but that it because the Club as myself and others said have messed up with the ticket prices, with the booking fee you are looking at £35 a ticket for Burnley at 4pm on a Sunday live on Sky, you and I both know that the South Wales Public are not going to pay that so we will probably get 29,000+ for it, however, you sell it right and you could easily fill 38,000, by making the prices attractive.

We proved this last season by putting 8,000 extra bums on seats in the space of 10 days from a Saturday game against Sheffield Wednesday to a Tuesday Nighter against Leeds.

Its all about boxing clever for a Club like us.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:51 pm

RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:More seats = more money, tan is a businessman he will expand it if we are looking like being in the premiership again next season because we will sell more than 33,000 for a lot of games and the fan base and club will continue to grow the longer we are in the premiership which i think is bloody great

More seats only equals more money if youre filling them. Yes we will sell out against the big clubs, not sure if we will against the smaller clubs though. Will be interesting to see the crowd against Burnley.

More of a reason not to expand though is that we only averaged around 20k in the championship last season and the atmosphere was shocking. Until we are an established premier league side there is no point expanding the stadium incase we are relegated.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:11 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:More seats = more money, tan is a businessman he will expand it if we are looking like being in the premiership again next season because we will sell more than 33,000 for a lot of games and the fan base and club will continue to grow the longer we are in the premiership which i think is bloody great

More seats only equals more money if youre filling them. Yes we will sell out against the big clubs, not sure if we will against the smaller clubs though. Will be interesting to see the crowd against Burnley.

More of a reason not to expand though is that we only averaged around 20k in the championship last season and the atmosphere was shocking. Until we are an established premier league side there is no point expanding the stadium incase we are relegated.

Wrong on so many levels.

You have to speculate to accumulate in order to grow and this is what we have done in order to now get to averaging 30,000+ in the Premier League so to think of taking it 'up a notch to the next level' in the long term interests of the Club is well worth thinking about.

By your logic we shouldn't expand because we only averaged 20k last season, yet when the plans were draw up to build the CCS with a 27k capacity we were averaging about 13-14k at Ninian Park. Imagine if back then people had taken the same attitude and said there's no point?

We shouldn't even be thinking about relegation, that is the worst case scenario, we need forward thinking and thankfully that's what we have had at the Club which is why we are where we are and long may it continue.

We need to look forward not back, South Wales is a Football Hotbed, now is our time.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:57 am

I look at it from a different angle. How much will it cost to build?

With the Welsh FA talking about throwing their lot in with a British World Cup bid we may get funding from elsewhere to get the ground to 40k so we have two stadia in the bid.

Free seats? Yes please.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:20 am

Wayne S wrote:I look at it from a different angle. How much will it cost to build?

With the Welsh FA talking about throwing their lot in with a British World Cup bid we may get funding from elsewhere to get the ground to 40k so we have two stadia in the bid.

Free seats? Yes please.

Tan did say if we consolidate in the prem then work will go ahead to expand both ends.