“ JUNIOR HOILETT CONFIDENCE IS SHOT TO PIECES “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:19 pm

JUNIOR'S CONFIDENCE LOOKS SHOT TO PIECES

By Nathan Blake

Wednesday 19th Sept 2018

From day one I have been a huge backer of Junior Hoilett. For me, he and Sol Bamba, Neil Warnock's first two signings, have been Cardiff City's main men.

But, for whatever reason, we're not seeing the true Hoilett at the moment and his lacklustre performances are one of the main reasons why the Bluebirds have yet to win a game.

If Cardiff are to create and score goals, take the pressure off their defence, and win matches, then Hoilett is one of the men who holds the key.

For me it's not an ability thing, so personally I can only put it down to a psychological issue.

I've seen countless players down the years shine in the Championship, yet appear not convinced in their own minds about their ability to do it in the Premier League.

Against Chelsea on Saturday , there were two or three occasions where Junior was one to one with Cesar Azpilicueta. Against a Championship right-back, he'd have run, twisted, turned, tormented and got a cross or shot away. At Stamford Bridge he stopped and passed the ball either sideways or backwards.

I was screaming 'Junior, just push it and race him'.

I just wanted him to put doubt in Azpilicueta's mind by running at him.

But he didn't and for me that's about self-belief. In my opinion Junior looks like he's playing with a little bit of self-doubt, rather than being the main man of the team when it comes to creativity — which when on form, he undoubtedly is.

Contrast Hoilett with Anthony Knockaert of Brighton, who has started like a house on fire and inspired his team to their draw at Southampton. No way is Knockaert a better player than Hoilett. He can only go one way, for starters, whereas Junior can go past defenders on the inside or the outside.

Yet Knockaert is influencing Premier League matches, whereas Junior isn't. That doesn't make sense to me.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: “ JUNIOR HOILETT CONFIDENCE IS SHOT TO PIECES “

Postby montyblue » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Perhaps we will have to keep singing super junior hoillet and junior junior give us a wave making it personal and to show that we are all behind him and all the team build there confidence if anybodys flagging even zohore
montyblue

Postby JJ1927 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:43 pm

2-1 down on Saturday and with about minutes left, Joe Ralls had the ball 40 yards out and there was acres of space down the flank. But Holliet preferred to look for the square ball rather than run into the space. A sure sign of a player lacking confidence.
JJ1927

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:19 pm

Couldn’t agree more. Well said Blakey.........Hoilett looks like a rabbit in headlights and has got gradually worse game by game.

His confidence looks shot to bits and maybe that’s why he has never really made the step up to the very top level despite having the obvious ability.

He looks like a school boy in the big boys play ground. Let’s hope Warnock can get his mind in gear
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:41 pm

Would definitely start Murphy instead of Hoilett on Saturday against Man City with that extra pace. Doubt if we see much of the ball anyway! Bring Hoilett on second half and try to build his confidence again.
bridgendbluebird30

Postby northernbluebird » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:38 pm

players of his quality and trickery are very rare in the championship but are 10 a penny in the PL.

he's good enough, but he's got to step up and start running at players, and stop giving them so much respect. he's in the team to try things in the final third and make things happen.
northernbluebird

Postby Wolfpac » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:41 pm

Knockeart is better than Junior so Blakeys smoking crack with that comment though Junior is a good player he isn’t cut out for the Prem imo
Wolfpac

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Have to disagree with Blake here.
I’ve been watching Knockaert for a couple of years and he’s a much better player than Hoilett. Far superior.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby mugsy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:01 am

Lol - ah good, another scapegoat has been found - Ken and Gunners will be pleased!
mugsy

Postby Bluebird1990 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:19 am

mugsy wrote:Lol - ah good, another scapegoat has been found - Ken and Gunners will be pleased!

What the f**k are you talking about? nobody is using him as a scapegoat, nobody is blaming him for losing games, they're just noting he looks low on confidence which can happen to players if you weren't aware of that
Bluebird1990

Postby Bluesman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:26 am

Come on Junior prove all the doubters wrong. You can do it. :bluebird:
Bluesman

Postby nubbsy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:19 am

mugsy wrote:Lol - ah good, another scapegoat has been found - Ken and Gunners will be pleased!

No scape goats here, just a balanced and imo fair review of his performance this far.
nubbsy

Postby Pontypool_Bluebird » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Many top wingers have tried to get the better of Azpilcueta so I wouldn't be worrying too much about it. Best full back in the league.

Warnock will have set instructions to him I'm sure and if those instructions were to beat the man as often as he could I'm sure he would at least try.

Ball retention against these top teams is important and if that means junior holding it in the wing the passing backwards then it'll result in a lot of Chelsea players getting back behind the ball (not great for scoring) but it helps against counter attacks.
Pontypool_Bluebird

Postby TAP_Sheep » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:43 pm

Forever Blue wrote:JUNIOR'S CONFIDENCE LOOKS SHOT TO PIECES

By Nathan Blake

Wednesday 19th Sept 2018

From day one I have been a huge backer of Junior Hoilett. For me, he and Sol Bamba, Neil Warnock's first two signings, have been Cardiff City's main men.

But, for whatever reason, we're not seeing the true Hoilett at the moment and his lacklustre performances are one of the main reasons why the Bluebirds have yet to win a game.

If Cardiff are to create and score goals, take the pressure off their defence, and win matches, then Hoilett is one of the men who holds the key.

For me it's not an ability thing, so personally I can only put it down to a psychological issue.

I've seen countless players down the years shine in the Championship, yet appear not convinced in their own minds about their ability to do it in the Premier League.

Against Chelsea on Saturday , there were two or three occasions where Junior was one to one with Cesar Azpilicueta. Against a Championship right-back, he'd have run, twisted, turned, tormented and got a cross or shot away. At Stamford Bridge he stopped and passed the ball either sideways or backwards.

I was screaming 'Junior, just push it and race him'.

I just wanted him to put doubt in Azpilicueta's mind by running at him.

But he didn't and for me that's about self-belief. In my opinion Junior looks like he's playing with a little bit of self-doubt, rather than being the main man of the team when it comes to creativity — which when on form, he undoubtedly is.

Contrast Hoilett with Anthony Knockaert of Brighton, who has started like a house on fire and inspired his team to their draw at Southampton. No way is Knockaert a better player than Hoilett. He can only go one way, for starters, whereas Junior can go past defenders on the inside or the outside.

Yet Knockaert is influencing Premier League matches, whereas Junior isn't. That doesn't make sense to me.

Misleading as he hasn't said Junior has low confidence. He says in his opinion he has. Unless Junior or NW come out with it, then no point saying he is.

It's the Prem, you aren't going to run at top class defenders the same as you will Championship defenders. Make a mistake in the Prem and you WILL be punished, it's a bit more open and less clinical in the Championship so I'd rather him find a player than run at a world class defender for a world class team and us be hit on the counter.
TAP_Sheep

Return to General Chat