JOE BENNETT REGRETS...

A forum for all things Cardiff City

JOE BENNETT REGRETS...

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:32 am

Cardiff's Joe Bennett regrets poor tackle on Leroy Sane
Sky Sports

Cardiff defender Joe Bennett faces a reunion with Leroy Sane on Saturday, admitting he was not proud of the tackle which left the Manchester City star injured last season.

Bennett's lunge on Sane in an FA Cup fourth-round tie in January left the Germany winger with ankle ligament damage and sparked a war of words between City boss Pep Guardiola and his Cardiff counterpart Neil Warnock.

The two clubs meet again in the Premier League on Saturday and Bennett, recalling the Sane incident, said: "I didn't realise how bad it was at the time.

"But, looking back at the pictures, it didn't look great. It was a bad tackle and it's something I wasn't proud of.

"I apologised for that and moved on quickly, but the criticism did hurt me personally."

Bennett escaped dismissal for his first-half challenge on Sane, but he was sent off in the final seconds for collecting a second yellow card.

Warnock said he reacted to the media storm after the cup tie by "slaughtering" Bennett and blamed the 28-year-old for giving him "three days of hell".

He also immediately signed another left-back, Armand Traore from Nottingham Forest, but Bennett would regain his first-team place as Cardiff clinched promotion to the Premier League.

"It has made me stronger as a player," Bennett said of the Sane tackle.

"I definitely improved as the season went on. Now I just want to stay in the team and do well for the manager."
Attachments
Joe Bennett.jpg
Joe Bennett.jpg (32.23 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
Leroy Sane.jpg
Leroy Sane.jpg (44.19 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

JOE BENNETT REGRETS...

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: JOE BENNETT REGRETS...

Postby Dahboy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:03 am

Hope Bennett doesn't shy out of a tackle on Saturday which I think will be the case.
Dahboy

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:01 am

Dahboy wrote:Hope Bennett doesn't shy out of a tackle on Saturday which I think will be the case.

I dont think that is in his mental thinking, he will give 100% as always and maybe Sane will be looking over his shoulder for Joe if he is selected :occasion5: :ayatollah:
1980s Bluebird

Postby Lawnmower » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:02 am

He hasn’t ‘shied out’ of any tackles since. So no reason why he will today.

One of our best performers.

Committed but not at all dirty.
Lawnmower

Postby Sven » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:21 am

Got caught 'in the moment' against the best team in the country and 'Pep' made the ,most of it! ;)

As Neil Warnock said, no one mentions the Man City tackle that put Jazz Richards out for 17 games! :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Return to General Chat