Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

PREMIER LEAGUE BUBBLE BURST? REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL AHEAD

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:39 am

How Neil Warnock has proven Premier League bubble may have been burst... but it's not a problem for Cardiff City
By Scott Johnson

It’s starting to feel like things are about to turn serious. Neil Warnock even moved to address this in his press conference last week when he added as an aside: “I can’t keep saying: ‘I want to enjoy it,’ because I’ve been told to stop saying that.

Until now, the general vibe has been that Cardiff are just happy to be at the party.

That’s completely understandable, as their promotion was so unexpected. Unfortunately, their points total does not necessarily reflect their performances and after five games, they only have two points to show for their efforts.

They’ve not dropped in to the bottom three yet, but chances are that might happen at the weekend, as they host champions Manchester City.

Then attention will turn to a run of more reasonable home games in the lead up to Christmas that includes Burnley, Fulham, Leicester, Brighton, Wolves and Southampton.

I’ve already seen the Burnley game billed as a ‘must win’, which seems a bit extreme for a September fixture, but you can see where people are coming from.

As one of the few teams below Cardiff, it would be great if they could keep them at arms reach, but this remains a side that qualified for Europe last season and in many respects, it will be no easier than the Manchester City game, just very different.

It’s hard to see where Cardiff’s first win is coming from, but that is always the way when you go a run of games without a victory. There are also question marks over certain players.

Some have adapted better to the top flight than others, but it was a big ask to expect all of their Championship squad to seamlessly step up.

For every Joe Bennett or Neil Etheridge, that has thrived, there is a Sean Morrison or Junior Hoilett, who has struggled.

It is far too early to write anyone off yet though and those two players in particular were slow burners when they first joined the club. I would back both to come good in time.

The thing is, to my eyes, Cardiff are not doing a lot wrong at the moment. They’ve been competitive in every game and with a little more luck, may have added a few more points.

Against Arsenal and Chelsea, they were undone by moments of individual brilliance, which is something you can’t legislate for.

They’ve been positive and played to their strengths. I’m not sure what more we can ask of them to be honest. Theirs is a squad with limitations because they didn’t spend £100m like Fulham in the summer, but they’re only two points better off than Cardiff anyway. Wolves are a different proposition and are overwhelming teams, but their designs are on Europe rather than merely staying up.

Sol Bamba, who has obviously judged the mood, spoke out about this recently and claimed: "People expect us to park the bus, if I can call it that. We didn't. We tried to play good football and go forward and score a few goals. That's a positive thing to take from the last few games. On the other hand, I think we've got to do better at the back. If we play like that through the season, I think we're going to win more games than lose.”

I’m not sure I would go that far, but I do think they are on the right track.

Yet the criticism is starting to get a little spikier and patience is wearing a little thinner. The other side of the coin is that a little naivety is to be expected initially, but eventually you have to find your find and start racking up some points.

My advice would be to keep calm and carry on, but a degree of unrest is starting to bubble. I doubt it will make any difference to Warnock and his approach, yet he is acknowledging it, so it is occupying his head space.

I think the majority of Cardiff’s supporters are well aware that they’ve won the lottery and will remain level headed. The vocal minority are sure to be recruiting though.

My personal view is that I’m going to enjoy the ride. I think the club need to stick by Neil Warnock no matter what because not only is he holding this team together, he is also holding the club together too. I don’t doubt that he would fall on his sword if he thought he was the wrong man for the job anyway.

I think you get what you pay for in the transfer market and that with the ridiculous sums of money generated by playing in the Premier League, maybe Cardiff should have pushed the boat out a little.

Their failure to land a striker has already cost them and will continue to cost them, but they now need to show greater faith in Kenneth Zohore. Wilfried Zaha proved to be the difference between safety and relegation for Crystal Palace last year and Zohore can make all the difference for Cardiff.

What I do think more than anything though is that Cardiff are in safe hands. Finally. Where there’s a Warnock, there’s a way, this season and beyond, whichever division that may be in. I back his judgement because he’s earned it and I back these players because they’re giving their all.

We can all get fixated on potential six-pointers and winnable games, but who knows how things will pan out. None of these games are winnable on paper, so they can only meet or exceed expectations. Football is bipolar by nature, you’re up and then you’re down, sometimes all in the same game.

Maybe it will be all ok in the end or maybe it won’t, but as long as Cardiff are continuing in the right direction, we can’t really ask for more than that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: PREMIER LEAGUE BUBBLE BURST? REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL AHEA

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:19 am

Scott Johnson alway writes the biggest load of shit in every article he writes.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:08 am

We are 10 points of a Champions League spot :occasion5: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:48 pm

Bluesman wrote:Scott Johnson alway writes the biggest load of shit in every article he writes.

:lol: so true

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Didn't get past first paragraph, a chimp could write better drivel and that's plain offensive to the chimp

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:14 am

I'm not at all familiar with the author. Others here clearly are - who does he write for ?

Actually I was just thinking that it was quite a good piece for a football journalist, so I was surprised that people didn't like it.

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:32 am

Scott Johnson is a Cardiff City season ticket holder and the WalesOnline Cardiff City fan columnist

Scott is a regular contributor on the 'View From the Ninian' website and has written two books on the club, 'Cardiff City: Rebranded' and 'The Blues Are Up', covering their 2013 promotion

Both his books are well worth a read! :thumbright:

Scott is a decent writer, loves this club (unlike some other Media Wales writers) and puts some good stuff out there whether we always agree with his views or not!

He has Cardiff City in his heart and is clearly 'one of us' when it comes to his support! :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:00 pm

Can't see anything at all to object to in this article. Presumably some people protest if someone thinks Cardiff City aren't the greatest team the world has ever seen and all we need to do is get behind the boys and everything will be alright.