NEIL WARNOCK: PRESS CONFERENCE AHEAD OF MAN CITY

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:54 am

Press conference talking points: :thumbright: :bluebird:

A round up of the main talking points to emerge from our morning in the company of Neil Warnock and Danny Ward:

Aron Gunnarsson has been hit by an injury set-back ahead of the Man City game

Cardiff also have one or two ‘niggles’ and a virus in the camp, according to Warnock

The Bluebirds boss doesn’t believe Man City will be weaker after their Champions League loss to Lyon

He spoke at length about the brilliant job Pep Guardiola has done (and that January FA Cup tie)

Danny Ward said he was pinching himself to be leading the Cardiff line in the Premier League

Friday 21st September 2018

Reaction to Man City's defeat to Lyon

Neil Warnock is in the hot seat and the first question concerns Manchester City’s 2-1 defeat to Lyon in the Champions League.

"It’s a blip. It just showed the standard of the opposition. They made a few changes didn’t they. They looked stronger with the regular on in the second half. Lyon played very well too.

"Thanks goodness we only play them twice! It might give them a kick up the backside. I don't think it helps us!"
Attachments
7FAC6FA2-04BE-4BBB-B9E6-1431DB1EE970.jpeg
7FAC6FA2-04BE-4BBB-B9E6-1431DB1EE970.jpeg (138.83 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: NEIL WARNOCK: PRESS CONFERENCE AHEAD OF MAN CITY

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:55 am

Gunnarsson suffers injury set back

Aron Gunnarsson has suffered yet another injury setback ahead of Cardiff City’s Premier League clash with Man City.

The Iceland international is yet to feature for his club this season due to a knee problem, despite Neil Warnock revealing ahead of the 4-1 loss to Chelsea that the midfielder could have featured at Stamford Bridge.

Warnock also admitted he was eager not to rush the 29-year-old back to action to ensure he doesn’t suffer any further issues.

But speaking ahead of the Bluebirds’ clash with Pep Guardiola’s side at Cardiff City Stadium, Warnock revealed that Gunnarsson picked up another knock in training ahead of the visit of the reigning champions.
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:56 am

Warnock on Gunnarsson's set back

"Aron picked another knock up in midweek. A couple of the lads clashed so we’ve got a couple of lads with knocks and we’ll have to wait and see about them. I don’t know the extent of them.

"We want his type of leadership on the pitch but in all fairness the midfield area is doing really well considering we don’t have too much competition in there. There’s two or three lads we’ll have to make decisions on. They have to be 100% to be considered tomorrow. If one or two do play we’ll probably have to think about changing things after an hour anyway but circumstances will decide that.”
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:57 am

Did Pep's absence hurt Man City?

"I think it does make a difference. No disrespect to Arteta, but he’s such an important part and a figure. It brings the best out of them."
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:58 am

It's not easy being in the stands...

... as Warnock knows well!

"You’ve got no say in it really. I don’t think he could even make contact. It’s difficult but you have to get on with it. I think that’ll start them off and I think they’ll still qualify."
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:58 am

Reflections on that Man City FA Cup tie

"Both teams wanted to win. It was one of those games. A lot of things were made about certain things."

No doubt Warnock is referring to the maelstrom of controversy that surrounded Joe Bennett’s tackle on Leroy Sane here...
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:00 am

Pep wants better protection for his players

"I totally agree with him, players should get more protection if I’m honest. You guys only want to talk about the top players, in the 50th minute, a tackle from de Bruyne put Jazz Richards out for 17 games - but a tackle on Richards probably doesn’t sell papers. One or two naughty things we didn’t get. Benno (Joe Bennett) knows it was a disgrace but there were one or two clever tackles. Jazz missed 17 games. That sounds like a worse tackle than Bennett’s, but we didn’t make a song and dance about that.”
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 am

How has Bennett recovered?

"I thought he did well at the end of the season. It looked a lot worse in slow motion. The reason I gave him a rollicking was because I GOT stick for days! I thanked him for that. But once again it’s an easy target.”
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 am

Man City cup tie was crucial to promotion - Warnock

An interesting thought here from Warnock... that the fallout from January’s FA Cup defeat to Manchester City was one of the factors in firing the Bluebirds to promotion:

"That game gave us a massive lift. That’s the way to answer people. That’s why we’re playing them on merit now. They’re all top internationals. And I don’t know how many of their players cost more than our entire squad.

"Our fans have been unbelievable. Even the Chelsea staff afterwards commented on the noise they made, even at 4-1 down. We’ve got another full house, you’d never have thought that around two years ago."
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:02 am

No wins yet, a concern for Warnock?

"The players are trying their hardest. We’ve made individual errors but they’re really doing their best.

"You just have to keep going. Games against Man City and Chelsea won’t define your season. Our lads are looking forward to it"
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:03 am

Will Man City miss De Bruyne?

"When you have a top player like that you’ll miss him. I think they might just mucker on!"
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:03 am

Other Cardiff injury problems

"We’ve got one or two little niggles as always. We’ll leave it till the last minute. We’ve had a little bit of a virus this week too but everyone wants to be involved if I can. We’ll have a look at the sick parade."
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:05 am

Has Warnock seen the Amazon Prime Man City documentary?

"I don’t know what that is. I just see it on my bill when my wife orders things everyday!

"I’ll probably watch it when I finish. I like books when I’m not doing anything, autobiographies and the odd film, but the last film like that I watched was mine at Sheffield United."
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:05 am

Warnock on Guardiola

"He goes to clubs where he gets good backing and signs the best players in the world. It’s alright signing players, you have to get them to blend. He makes players better than they are. They’ve stepped to another level. Liverpool are hanging in there but they’ve had to spend around £200m to be anywhere near them. He must know what he’s doing with the amount of trophies he’s won.
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:06 am

Where do Man City rank among Premier League's best sides?

"I can’t see it happening again. It’s very difficult to get a shock against them now. You’ve got to be very lucky with one or two things going for you. I hope we get a handball goal.”
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:08 am

Warnock's regrets

"All season when I look at the games, we could’ve got a result at Bournemouth with Mozza(Sean Morrison)‘s chance, Newcastle and Huddersfield we could’ve won. Against Arsenal I thought the goals were down to bad mistakes we made."
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:09 am

'Bamba has got to learn'

Warnock is asked about Sol Bamba, who had a mixed performance against Chelsea last week, scoring the opening goal and then conceding a silly penalty:

"He epitomises where we are but even at his age he’s got to learn. He’s so keen to do well and I don’t want to curb his enthusiasm but he’s got to be a bit cuter with some things he does. I listen to him talking with the other lads at the back and it’s probably the best league in the world in terms of competitiveness so it’s great for them.

"Bruno’s stepped up a gear as well.

"The pleasing thing is, whatever the result, the best things has been the fans. They want to enjoy it and they epitomised that at Chelsea so you have to have people like Bamba.”
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:10 am

'Try to keep it to single figures' v Man City - Warnock

"I mentioned to Sol try and keep it to single figures.

"We just want to do our best. It’s a difficult thing from a manager’s point of view.

"Do you shut up shop? The chances are you’ll get beat.

"Liverpool and Chelsea are special but I think these are the best. As long as we prepare as best we can to try and make a game of it.I want us to try and enjoy it."
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:11 am

Is Pep worried about Cardiff?

"If Pep’s worried about Cardiff City then that’s fantastic! But I don’t think he will be.

"With the fans behind us and the type of team we are, he knows they’ll be in for a game."
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:13 am

Warnock on empty seats at Man City Champions League game

"I think he (Pep) will be disappointed with the crowd. I remember them beating Gillingham in the playoffs and to be in the Champions League you think it’d be a full house. But everything’s on a plate for fans now, you can pick your games."
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:13 am

Are Cardiff better now than when they last faced Man City?

"Yes by a long way! When we arrived and you look at the bench and where we are now, it’s a tremendous plus. We had to change after the first three games because we wouldn’t have scored. You have to learn. I don’t want to be in the league without thinking we can’t score a goal.”
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:14 am

Warnock's message to the fans?

"I don’t think I need to send anything. What they’re doing is unbelievable.

"They’re almost treating it like going to the theatre. Like watching the Eagles in concert, you want to join in.

"They sucked the ball into the net against Arsenal for the second one."
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:17 am

A full, informative and entertaing press conference ends with Neil Warnock handing over to Danny Ward :thumbright:
Sven

Return to General Chat