Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What will the result be of Cardiff City v Burnley?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:00 pm

Cardiff City win
69%
Burnley win
8%
Draw
23%

Total votes : 39

Re: TEAM NEWS “ CARDIFF CITY v BURNLEY “ MATCH THREAD

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:01 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

28/09/18

INJURIES:

"Peltier’s not got to have an operation which is the good news but it’s still going to be between two and three months. Obviously it came out of the joint and they managed to put it back in without operating and the surgeon thinks he doesn’t need a plate and he’s got more of a chance of healing naturally."

"He’s in good spirits as is Mendez who’s got the brace off. Gunnarsson is training this week but I don’t think he’ll be anywhere near fit for Sunday but he has trained and he’s looked well. He’s shown us what we’ve missed over the last few weeks. There are one or two little niggles but that’s all."

Gunnarsson

NEIL WARNOCK:

"Yeah it’s been to build it back up again."

" He’s had a couple of little knocks now. We thought he’d be okay for the Chelsea game but he had another knock in training and sod’s law it’s in the same place so we’ve had to take him back a little bit."

"We’re crossing our fingers that this time it’ll be okay."

Lee Peltier / Aron Gunnarsson & Mendez-Laing are all out injured.

Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:38 pm

Bruno Manga:

“We don’t want to give Burnley the chance to take points in Cardiff because we need to win.
“We’re still looking the first three points, so hopefully that will happen on Sunday.”

Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:22 pm

What's the latest injury news?

Cardiff City look set to be without Lee Peltier for the next 2-3 months, after the full-back suffered a dislocated shoulder in the 5-0 defeat to Manchester City last weekend, but there are otherwise no fresh injury concerns for Neil Warnock.

Aron Gunnarsson has returned to training this week, but Sunday's game looks to have come too soon for him to be in any kind of contention. Long-term absentee Nathaniel Mendez-Laing remains sidelined with a ligament injury.

Meanwhile, Burnley are without Robbie Brady, who's due to appear for the under-23s as he continues his bid to return to full fitness, while Ben Gibson (hernia) and Nick Pope (shoulder) are both ruled out.

Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:55 pm

Sean Dyche: No easy games in Premier League

Saturday 29th September 2018

Burnley boss Sean Dyche has warned his players not to expect an easy ride when they travel to winless Cardiff.

Neil Warnock’s Bluebirds have endured a difficult time since promotion to the Premier League, picking up just two points and scoring only three times in six games.

The Clarets have also had some early-season problems and struggled to replicate the remarkable form which saw them qualify for the Europa League in May.

Last weekend’s 4-0 thrashing of Bournemouth was their first win of the campaign and Dyche feels they will have to repeat the desire shown in that game to pick up points from the televised fixture.

“They’ve had a tough start, partly because of the realities of their fixtures, partly because it’s tough in the Premier League,” Dyche said of Cardiff, according to his club’s website .

“We’ve been through that ourselves and been through that before in this division.

“I thought that was very pleasing last week to get a result. We have to earn the right again.

“There are no ‘gimmes’ and no easy games.”

Sunday’s clash is the first Premier League meeting between the two clubs.

Burnley have never won at the Cardiff City Stadium following the Bluebirds’ relocation from Ninian Park in 2009.

Four of their five visits have ended in draws, while they were thumped 4-0 in October 2012, a week before Dyche’s appointment.

“The main thing for me is to focus on what we do and the clear focus of how we perform,” added Dyche.

“Every game in the Premier League is a must-win, every game is a big game and every game you have to give everything to win, or certainly when you’re Burnley or a number of other clubs in the Premier League.”

Clarets midfielder Steven Defour could be involved in a Premier League squad for the first time since January following knee and calf injuries, but Republic of Ireland winger Robbie Brady remains unavailable.

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:01 pm

Just heard. Burnley, the team with the longest passrate against Cardiff. The team with fewest passes. I feel sorry for the ball. Funny.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:37 am

Two wingers because Burnley are said to have a weakness defending that and Ken to start as target man - based upon the fact that if he were really struggling in training then I don't think Sir Neil would say that in public and I suspect that the opposite is correct .
Bobby Reid in an advanced position to come through when Kens holding .
All that's IF the others can run and cover a little bit harder to fill the hole .

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:58 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Two wingers because Burnley are said to have a weakness defending that and Ken to start as target man - based upon the fact that if he were really struggling in training then I don't think Sir Neil would say that in public and I suspect that the opposite is correct .
All that's IF the others can run and cover a little bit harder to fill the hole .

Remember Burnley beat a quality Bournemouth team 4-0 last week. :(

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:27 am

Dahboy wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:Two wingers because Burnley are said to have a weakness defending that and Ken to start as target man - based upon the fact that if he were really struggling in training then I don't think Sir Neil would say that in public and I suspect that the opposite is correct .

Remember Burnley beat a quality Bournemouth team 4-0 last week. :(

Yeah absolutely. Against the run of play they say, but they're a very good team indeed and it'd be hard to beat them. People seem to underestimate Burnley because they're comparing them to the moneyball teams but that'd be a huge mistake. They're exactly what we are working towards being - a proper football team ,not a bought one, which has nonetheless sustained its position in the top level .
Whether my little formula there will work I don't know, but it's our best shot in my opinion. I also know I'm expecting extra running and cover from certain players who've been struggling at this level so far. Without getting involved in the instant panic movement I'm seeing from some, this is a game we really don't want to lose at home because that really could start to frighten the horses .
On the other hand it's not impossible that we could win it and a win at this stage could be a significant boost to morale so it's a call from Sir Neil about which way to play it and I tend to think he might do what I said there. I mean, actually I wouldn't in fact. I'd shut it up horribly tight at the back and hope to get something on the break but I don't think he'll go that way so this is more what I think they will do rather than what I think they should do. I think he's got a better record in this sort of thing than me though, so he's probably right and either way he gets my backing.

Re: MATCH THREAD “ CARDIFF CITY v BURNLEY “ MATCH THREAD

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:21 pm

The formation today is critical.
NW needs to get it spot on, we can’t keep playing with 2 against 3 in midfield.
Hopefully Murphy to step in and Junior to wake up and be the player we know he is.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:29 pm

Teams in full

Cardiff City: Etheridge; Manga, Morrison, Bamba, Cunningham; Camarasa, Ralls, Arter, J Murphy; Paterson; Zohore.

Subs: B Murphy, Richards, Bennett, Reid, K Harris, Ward, Madine.

Burnley: Hart; Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Taylor; Lennon, Cork, Westwood, Gudmundsson; Vydra, Vokes.

Subs: Heaton, Barnes, Wood, Hendrick, Defour, Bardsley, Long.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Good call by Sir Neil, but where's Hoilett - is he injured

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:18 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Good call by Sir Neil, but where's Hoilett - is he injured

Out sick.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Not much Football on display, but we are on the front foot!

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:23 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Good call by Sir Neil, but where's Hoilett - is he injured

It really isn’t. 4-4-1-1 seems s bit to defensive. We have good control at the back, but struggling with balance in the final third.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:26 pm

We’re midway through the opening half here, and it’s all gone a bit flat.

Sean Morrison does well to head clear as Burnley threaten, but both sides are lacking that bit of quality at the business end of the pitch

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:31 pm

Both teams down in their 60% passrate, but it’s even Steven in possession.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:33 pm

City fans at their best though. Not much sound but 12’th man support coming through

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:37 pm

Goal disallowed by Morrison

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:43 pm

China ping pong over the bar.. we are on this, going for a goal

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Another ping pong denierd

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:51 pm

Half time. We own this. But why are Camarasa our wide? Get Reid to support Zahore and get Ralls off. Give Patterson a run out right. Need to push on looking to exploit our advantage. Need more balance in the final third

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Thought that was a good 45mins, limited Burnley and had our chances.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:53 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Thought that was a good 45mins, limited Burnley and had our chances.

I agree. We played well. Need to put some of these chances in the net! A corner or a long throw looks most likely.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:54 pm

Cardiff should be 2 up

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:58 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Thought that was a good 45mins, limited Burnley and had our chances.

I agree. We played well. Need to put some of these chances in the net! A corner or a long throw looks most likely.

Should given pen for handball his hands were raised whilst only a foot away hand stopped ball going goalbound! Disallowed goal debatable if that was defended on attacker certainly wouldn't be a pen so why give foul? :old:

Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:02 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:

Should given pen for handball his hands were raised whilst only a foot away hand stopped ball going goalbound! Disallowed goal debatable if that was defended on attacker certainly wouldn't be a pen so why give foul? :old:

I think the disallowed goal was right.

Pen, close one but could have been given.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:10 pm

What a f*cking whopper

Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:11 pm

0-1 :cry:

Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:13 pm

Not being funny. He was all over Cunningham. If he disallows Morrison for that first half then that's got to be too...

Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:18 pm

Ffs! Adjust the balance Neil!