Team Selection

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Team Selection

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:19 pm

I am 100% behind the manager but what happened to the team selection today? Saving players for next week?

Yes, it was always going to be difficult playing against the champions but to make 3 changes to our defence was a huge surprise. Bamba made a few mistakes against Arsenal and gave a penalty away against Chelsea but dropping him and moving Manga to centre back left right back vulnerable. Manga has been playing well at RB so why move him. Then to bring in Peltier instead of Richards is bizarre.

Bennett has played well this season except for one mistake against Chelsea so was surprised to see him dropped. Since learnt that he may have picked up a knock in mid week (?) but he was clearly fit enough to be on the bench. Also thought that Murphy (although coming back from injury) could have started instead of Hoilett or at least be given 30 mins.

Our strength over the past 18 months has been our defence so why dismantle it?
bridgendbluebird30

Team Selection

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Team Selection

Postby CF23 Bluebird » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:29 pm

I'm just hoping that Joe Bennett wasn't left out because of what happened last season with Sane because that would totally suck to me
CF23 Bluebird

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:47 pm

I could see the logic in the changes, man City have pace all across the front 3 so Manga in the middle made more sense especially with Bamba struggling with pace last week.

Fullbacks he has gone for the ones who are the best defenders. Maybe a bit harsh on Bennett but I'm sure last seasons tackle was in the back of his mind and would the ref also be wary of it.

The way the midfield set up was stranger.
2blue2handle

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:52 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I could see the logic in the changes, man City have pace all across the front 3 so Manga in the middle made more sense especially with Bamba struggling with pace last week.

Fullbacks he has gone for the ones who are the best defenders. Maybe a bit harsh on Bennett but I'm sure last seasons tackle was in the back of his mind and would the ref also be wary of it.

Unfortunately I have to disagree re best defenders. There is no way on this earth is Peltier a Premier League player and I would put him behind Manga and Jazz at right back.
bridgendbluebird30

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:02 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I could see the logic in the changes, man City have pace all across the front 3 so Manga in the middle made more sense especially with Bamba struggling with pace last week.

Unfortunately I have to disagree re best defenders. There is no way on this earth is Peltier a Premier League player and I would put him behind Manga and Jazz at right back.

I think Warnock would rather Manga at right back but he moves him into the middle which I personally agree with. That leaves you Jazz or Peltier at right back and for me Jazz is a much better right back but Peltier a slightly better defender. Problem is neither are up to it and it was obvious in the summer but Warnock didn't seem to agree.
2blue2handle

Postby bluemun » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:29 pm

The formation and tactics were also dubious. We had to get in their faces and rattle them with hard tackles from the off. Arter was stuck wide left and wasted. Peltier isn't up to the Prem and Hoilett was on the wrong flank.
bluemun

Return to General Chat