Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ A VERY GOOD OPPORTUNITY “

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:19 pm

The next four games we got coming up will be our best opportunity to get maximum points from.

We have played Newcastle, Arsenal and Man City at home and taken one point, I genuinely think if we are to carry out the miraculous escape from relegation then the teams of Burnley, Leicester, Fulham and Brighton at CCS are games we must target for the wins we require to achieve our goal.

Sunday Sep 30th - Burnley (h) Live on Sky 4pm :bluebird:

Sat Oct 6 - Tottenham Hotspur (a)

Sat Oct 20 - Fulham (h)
Sat Oct 27 - Liverpool (a)
Sat Nov 3 - Leicester City (h)

Sat Nov 10 - Brighton & Hove Albion (h) Now live on Sky 12:30pm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ A VERY GOOD OPPORTUNITY “

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:24 pm

Apart from Liverpool away we have to collect points especially at home. A Burnley win really would kick start our season but its going to be tough.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:11 am

Far too early to be talking about miraculous escapes, but you're certainly quite right that we need to be winning at least two of those home games which you mentioned .
It's hard to find a positive out of yesterday, but remember that all the other footballing clubs have to play the chequebook sides and take a ritual hiding from a selection of the worlds best international players. It's unfortunate that we've had to take our medicine two weeks running, but everyone else will have to take their turn at being the stooges in these uneven matches and the outcome in terms of points ( if not goals) will be the same for them.

Actually it wouldn't be allowed in boxing or any other sport which I can think of, but there you are.

Point I'm making is that we can only compete with the 14 clubs who are real football clubs and have achieved good standards as competitors in a domestic league, but we've got a realistic chance of doing that if we can swallow the bitter pill of knowing that we've got to take periodic hammerings from what are essentially International teams as part of the deal .

Yeah, I know it's more like domestic violence than sport , but it's the same for everyone and as you suggest, we can only survive if we make sure that we do really well in those games we can realistically compete in.
Maybe other clubs should just field their reserve teams when playing the moneyball teams to avoid injury.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:28 am

Someone will remind me...who was the manager/team that got absolutely slated and charged by the Premier League for fielding what they said was an 'under strength' side when playing the top teams a few years ago? :?

I recall his (the manager's) response was effectively "It's my squad, I'll pick my team as I see fit in order to save my best players for the games that matter, i.e. against the teams around us in the table!"

I was always an advocate of 'your play the best team you can at every opportunity' but in this new world of money football and whilst I personally don't agree with it, I can (in some small part) appreciate where he was coming from

For me, as a football supporter, I believe the 'ambition' and/or 'challenge' of Cardiff City FC going up against the best is what should continue to drive us to continue our support and (so it appears by the sudden increase of crowds at the CCS since we got promoted) and not just the pursuit of financial again by 'treading water' in the top Division

To do that, IMHO, will eventually drive supporters away when they realise they are being short-changed by financially ambitious owners rather than proper custodians of the game of football and it's once proud values! :(

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Sven wrote:Someone will remind me...who was the manager/team that got absolutely slated and charged by the Premier League for fielding what they said was an 'under strength' side when playing the top teams a few years ago? :?

I recall his (the manager's) response was effectively "It's my squad, I'll pick my team as I see fit in order to save my best players for the games that matter, i.e. against the teams around us in the table!"

I was always an advocate of 'your play the best team you can at every opportunity' but in this new world of money football and whilst I personally don't agree with it, I can (in some small part) appreciate where he was coming from

For me, as a football supporter, I believe the 'ambition' and/or 'challenge' of Cardiff City FC going up against the best is what should continue to drive us to continue our support and (so it appears by the sudden increase of crowds at the CCS since we got promoted) and not just the pursuit of financial again by 'treading water' in the top Division

To do that, IMHO, will eventually drive supporters away when they realise they are being short-changed by financially ambitious owners rather than proper custodians of the game of football and it's once proud values! :(

Couldn't agree more.
I'm just watching football on Sky and someone said " Chelsea are going to have to spend some REAL money if they want to compete with Manchester City "
As I said above, no other sport allows people to buy success through mis matches of the very best in the world against those who are in the process of getting better through hard work and as yet unfulfilled talent. We don't let heavyweight world champions smash talented 18 year olds round a ring then tell them how great they are for winning again.

As you say, fans will eventually walk away from football unless something is done to establish a more level playing field. If the only chance of winning anything in domestic leagues is to start as an international then get bought for millions by one of the rich clubs with a monopoly on the title, well then eventually no one will bother to go through the normal levels of progress and there'll be no good players for them to buy anymore.

It's a pity , but the game is getting spoiled and whilst I hope I'm wrong I can see it getting worse. How long can it be before they start insisting that you've got to have women players in the team ? I'm sure we've all noticed that we've already got lots of lady pundits on tv who are somehow experts on the game. That's another subject of course, but it's probably inevitable

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:16 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Sven wrote:Someone will remind me...who was the manager/team that got absolutely slated and charged by the Premier League for fielding what they said was an 'under strength' side when playing the top teams a few years ago? :?

Couldn't agree more.
I'm just watching football on Sky and someone said " Chelsea are going to have to spend some REAL money if they want to compete with Manchester City "
As I said above, no other sport allows people to buy success through mis matches of the very best in the world against those who are in the process of getting better through hard work and as yet unfulfilled talent. We don't let heavyweight world champions smash talented 18 year olds round a ring then tell them how great they are for winning again.

As you say, fans will eventually walk away from football unless something is done to establish a more level playing field. If the only chance of winning anything in domestic leagues is to start as an international then get bought for millions by one of the rich clubs with a monopoly on the title, well then eventually no one will bother to go through the normal levels of progress and there'll be no good players for them to buy anymore.

It's a pity , but the game is getting spoiled and whilst I hope I'm wrong I can see it getting worse. How long can it be before they start insisting that you've got to have women players in the team ? I'm sure we've all noticed that we've already got lots of lady pundits on tv who are somehow experts on the game. That's another subject of course, but it's probably inevitable

In the next decade I can see a European Super League, the likes of the top 6 in this country won't, I think, be in the premier league.
That'll mean Sky will not be paying such huge money to domestic football, and we can go back to proper competition again where the likes of Cloughie can build league title winning sides.
The downside is that a lot of clubs will go to the wall unless it's phased in with proper notice, which is unlikely.