Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Vince Alm: As good as Man City were today it still hurt to

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:42 pm

VINCE ALM:

As good as man City were today it still hurt to watch us lose 5.0! You try and enjoy the quality in front of you but when its your team its difficult. They were by far the best team i have seen play Cardiff city in my 50 years of supporting them. Yes we have lost by more goals than this is the past but that was in lower and leagues and we were awful. Today i'm not sure the 11 on the pitch could have done much more? The closing down and work rate of man City is nothing I have seen before, isolating our players with in a split second with 3 or 4 players surrounding them unable to shift the ball. Their finishing was top notch, every player had pace and a high skill level. In my opinion they are ahead of Chelsea and miles ahead of the likes of Arsenal.

I know some supporters are already in the negative corner that is just the way of the world we all have different opinions, I like to be a bit more level headed about things and in my opinion the quality of the top teams have moved on since we were last in the premier league. It is quite frightening where they are now to where they were 4 years ago! Thats three tough fixtures out the way early in the season, and the next two aways are tough. However, based on Huddersfield and Newcastle fixtures there is cause for optimism, and us we need to get right behind the team for the next 6 home fixtures, and help make the stadium a fortress and pick some points up.

We need to fill the stadium for these fixtures against Burnley, Fulham, Leicester, Brighton, Wolves, and Southampton those are the fixtures that will shape our season, not Man City, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal.

What helped today was the support in the canton, absolutely first class again ladies and gentlemen! You are really putting a shift in , and I hope the players can pick some points up for you over the coming months for your efforts? We have to hold our nerve these were always going to be tough games, I didn't realise how Good man city were until today.

keep your chin up everyone it will not be like this every week

Bluebirds

Re: Vince Alm: As good as Man City were today it still hurt

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:01 pm

Ditto.

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:44 pm

Agree entirely, i can't remember seeing a team come down here since I've been supporting this club since March 1968 that have ripped us apart like Man City did today.

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:49 pm

Quite right.
The worst thing about games like this is the potential psychological effect upon the players, and although we've got a good chance of successfully combatting that, any panic and trouser wetting by the supporters can have a very detrimental effect at the moment.
We know that there are people amongst us who whine and give up at the first sign of difficulty because we see some of the negative drivel they post at the best of times . Best thing for them now is to keep their defeatism to themselves and remember that there will be sufficient opportunities to build up a respectable number of points against teams who aren't playing the game with their hedge funds.

Very good and timely message !

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:09 am

Excellent post Vince. I've never seen a team like that before, it was quite frightening at times. I'm in the Canton behind the left post as we look and when that 3rd goal went in me and my Bro just looked at each other in disbelief. We didn't say a word, we didn't have to, what can you say! :shock:

I think it's a case of keeping things in perspective. Our players gave it their all and that's all we can ever ask of them. We march on to the next game and thankfully we've got more realistic chances of points in our home games coming up.

I just hope the players, and us fans, remember that just as one swallow doesn't make a summer, one defeat doesn't define a season. Onwards and upwards........City till I die. :bluebird:

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:57 am

Yep I said last night never seen a team like that in my 32 years watching, and never seen us toyed with even when we were in lower division against a higher division in the cup. When we got the ball two players of not three were on us straight away, not sure how they do it so quickly. It’s crazy.

Not a lot you can do, we weren’t dealing with a premiership team but a side that will dominate for a decade and who are the best team to grace the premiership.

Thankfully they are a one off, won’t have to face that often.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:55 am

Stringfellow wrote:Yep I said last night never seen a team like that in my 32 years watching, and never seen us toyed with even when we were in lower division against a higher division in the cup. When we got the ball two players of not three were on us straight away, not sure how they do it so quickly. It’s crazy.

Not a lot you can do, we weren’t dealing with a premiership team but a side that will dominate for a decade and who are the best team to grace the premiership.

I agree, I can’t remember a team so completely dominating us and being so superior in all departments as Man City were yesterday.
Regards it being a one off though I’m not so sure the way Liverpool are this season!

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:35 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Stringfellow wrote:Yep I said last night never seen a team like that in my 32 years watching, and never seen us toyed with even when we were in lower division against a higher division in the cup. When we got the ball two players of not three were on us straight away, not sure how they do it so quickly. It’s crazy.

I agree, I can’t remember a team so completely dominating us and being so superior in all departments as Man City were yesterday.
Regards it being a one off though I’m not so sure the way Liverpool are this season!

I was going to say, the only occasion resembling yesterday this season might be when Liverpool come to town.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:41 am

Annis, the problem with this game was (as they do with most other clubs) Man City made it look so easy!

However, to simply say that is to be discourteous to a group of players (no matter how expensively put together) who are clearly at the top of their field, are ambitious, ruthless in what they do and play as a cohesive team!

What disappointed me today (as in other games of late) was the 'cheap' way our players consistently give the ball way, allowing opposition players to attack us immediately whilst our defence is unprepared and (certainly in yesterday's case) scrambling!

It's hard to single out individuals, as from 1-0 on the 'panic clearances' were prominent and whilst in the Championship we (often) got away with it, in this League we simply won't!

I'm not giving up; I will continue to support the team and get behind them but lessons HAVE to be learned before

We know the start of the season would be tough and it has been but now we go into a run of games that potentially sees us picking up a cluster of very much needed points and the players simply HAVE to respond!

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:43 pm

:thumbup:

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:43 pm

Good post Vince had it spot on ,the way Man city were so quick to surround our players, they defended up front limiting our opportunities at getting forward,we were beaten by the best side ive seen yet,Our boys have to get over it dust themselves down and apply the same work rate.Thankfully we wont see many teams do that to us again. :bluescarf:

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:22 am

Carlossus wrote:Good post Vince had it spot on ,the way Man city were so quick to surround our players, they defended up front limiting our opportunities at getting forward,we were beaten by the best side ive seen yet,Our boys have to get over it dust themselves down and apply the same work rate.Thankfully we wont see many teams do that to us again. :bluescarf:

Well Liverpool probably will :thumbup: