Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BURNLEY GAME: WEAPONS CITY SIMPLY MUST UNLEASH

Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:14 pm

The weapons Cardiff City simply have to unleash against Burnley and the worrying trend Man City profited from
By Ian Mitchelmore

Here are the key talking points from the Bluebirds' heavy defeat to the reigning Premier League champions

Sunday 23rd September 2018

Cardiff City slipped into the Premier League's relegation zone for the first time this season as they were thumped 5-0 by Man City.

We run through the key talking points from the one-side affair.

A big game just got huge (even at this early stage of the season)

The Bluebirds were never likely to gain big - if any - rewards from their clashes against Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City.

But as a result of the loss to Pep Guardiola's side, Cardiff slipped into the relegation zone for the first time this season.

And as they were being pummelled by the reigning champions, their next opponents Burnley were busy thrashing Bournemouth 4-0 at Turf Moor.

Warnock admitted after the loss to Man City that it's results against the sides around Cardiff that will ultimately decide whether or not the Bluebirds stay up this term.

A Burnley clash that was already big just got a whole lot bigger as the Bluebirds desperately go in search of their first victory of the season just eight days after Sean Dyche's side got their own monkey off their back.

Six-pointers don't tend to come around at this stage of the season. Cardiff, however, have one.

It's time to unleash the wingers

Given that he operated on the flanks during his playing days, it's easy to understand why Warnock places such an emphasis on wingers.

He has been robbed of two key stars during the opening stages of the season, with Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Josh Murphy missing games after the international break through injury.

Murphy returned to action in the closing moments of the hefty loss to Man City, his first taste of action since the 0-0 draw with Huddersfield, the same match in which Mendez-Laing was injured.

The absence of the two widemen placed further pressure on Junior Hoilett, but he has been unable to showcase his attacking talents this season as much as he did during the course of the 2017-18 campaign.

It's largely been down to the pressure placed on the Bluebirds by better teams, and Hoilett has been excellent defensively, regularly tracking back to provide cover and help alleviate the strain on those behind him.

But that in turn has hampered his progress at the business end of the pitch.

So with Murphy back, you have to hope Warnock will give his wide men licence to run riot against Burnley as the Bluebirds go in search of a desperately needed victory.

Errors need to be cut out... and quickly

The damage had been done by the time Neil Etheridge was forced to collect the ball out of his own net for the fifth time when Riyad Mahrez netted his second of the afternoon.

But it was a goal that quite simply shouldn't have happened.

Having battled admirably throughout the game and comfortably been the best of Cardiff's back four, Bruno Manga looked to have expertly put out another Man City fire in the final stages before a sloppy pass gifted Mahrez his second goal.

In may ways it was irrelevant by that stage, but even under intense pressure Cardiff can't afford such elementary errors.

Warnock was quick to comment on Sol Bamba's failure to track Skhodran Mustafi when the German headed Arsenal in-front during the Gunners' 3-2 win over the Bluebirds, while Josh Murphy felt his manager's wrath after Bournemouth's second and decisive goal on the opening day.

So while it may sound obvious, Cardiff need to cut out such basic mistakes.

You can get away with them in the Championship. In the Premier League, you'll be punished.

The goal dilemma that needs to be solved

Warnock's concerns over the failure to bring in a top quality striker have been heightened after the Bluebirds' first six games, with Cardiff managing just three goals so far this season at an average of one every 180 minutes.

Danny Ward proved his worth in the defeat to Arsenal, scoring Cardiff's second equaliser. He had next to no service against Chelsea and Man City, although given the quality of the opposition he has started against, you feel Ward deserves a crack to showcase his talents against a lesser side where Cardiff should hopefully enjoy more possession and clear cut chances.

That said, there have to be doubts as to whether he is the man to net the goals Cardiff so desperately crave.

Kenneth Zohore was Warnock's first choice, but hasn't started a game since the 0-0 draw with Huddersfield, while Gary Madine still has plenty to do in the eyes of many Cardiff fans following his £6m arrival.

It's quickly getting to the point where someone has to stand up and take the division by the scruff of the neck.

Without goals Cardiff have no chance. And after the hard work put in to get into the top flight, it would be a crying shame if they sunk like a stone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BURNLEY GAME: WEAPONS CITY SIMPLY MUST UNLEASH

Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:34 pm

This game screams out Callum Paterson, I think Hoilett needs to be dropped and Bobby Reid switched to the wing but allowed to come inside and Josh Murphy back in with Paterson behind Danny Ward, this game is gonna require an aerial threat but need Victor Camarasa and Arter so we can keep the ball on the deck also.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Not much point playing wingers if they've got no one to cross to. That last post has me baffled I must admit - I was waiting for the culmination that we play Ethridge as a probing midfielder and put Gary Madine in goal. What a shame we're restricted to the 25 man squad - otherwise Vincent Tan could have has a game instead of Sol Bamber.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:10 pm

In my opinion we need the strength of a big physical target man like Zahore who successfully held up linked up with Houlet and were a huge part of our promotion season, we must have a big target man, Zahore’s work rate alone and presence was a big factor last season. Warnock must tactically take some responsibility and for his team selection too. We must have a consistent starting 11 to have cohesion and unity with the players. We sat to deep against Man City inviting pressure, when Warnock said we would have a go and push up. Yes Man City has quality but we didn’t show desire or fight,we should be chasing teams down like we did last season.I respect everyone’s opinions but we must show the same desire and fight as we did last season.

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:40 am

Clubfortyfourer wrote:In my opinion we need the strength of a big physical target man like Zahore who successfully held up linked up with Houlet and were a huge part of our promotion season, we must have a big target man, Zahore’s work rate alone and presence was a big factor last season. Warnock must tactically take some responsibility and for his team selection too. We must have a consistent starting 11 to have cohesion and unity with the players. We sat to deep against Man City inviting pressure, when Warnock said we would have a go and push up. Yes Man City has quality but we didn’t show desire or fight,we should be chasing teams down like we did last season.I respect everyone’s opinions but we must show the same desire and fight as we did last season.

It was always dubious whether what we did last year could work in the Premiership but that question has been answered and I'm afraid the answer is that it doesn't work at this level. I don't think Sir Neil is evading responsibility is he ?
Pure commitment can take you so far and I think it's our biggest asset , but we certainly need to find a different approach to what we did on the Championship and I think that's what we're trying to do. I appreciate your sentiments but we can't go running at the likes of Manchester City like nut cases and if we'd done that it'd have been even worse .