Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sunderland terminate the contract of record signing

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:14 am

BREAKING SKY SPORTS NEWS

25/09/18

Sunderland terminate the contract of record signing Didier Ndong.

A statement from Sunderland read: “Sunderland AFC has given notice under its contract with Didier Ndong. The player, who was under contract with the club until June 2021, failed to return to Sunderland for pre-season training in July as scheduled, nor in the subsequent months that followed. No reason was given for his failure to report and continued absence.

“As a result, the club has accepted Didier Ndong’s repudiatory breaches of contract and notice of the same has been provided to the player. Sunderland AFC does so whilst retaining the right to pursue the player and any club he may subsequently join in relation to compensation for the value of the player.”

Re: Sunderland terminate the contract of record signing

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:49 pm

About time a club did this. I don't understand why clubs are not more aggressive in their approach. For example if a player is clearly not fit and is making no effort to get fit, that can and should represent a breach of contract and as such allow the club to terminate the contract and at same time reserve right to claim compensation should that player then be signed by someone else. No prizes for which City player I am referring to here! (though personally I would like to see said player in a City shirt again)

Re: Sunderland terminate the contract of record signing

Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:50 am

JJ1927 wrote:About time a club did this. I don't understand why clubs are not more aggressive in their approach. For example if a player is clearly not fit and is making no effort to get fit, that can and should represent a breach of contract and as such allow the club to terminate the contract and at same time reserve right to claim compensation should that player then be signed by someone else. No prizes for which City player I am referring to here! (though personally I would like to see said player in a City shirt again)

Well they could do that if they'd stipulated a level of fitness in the original contract, but not otherwise really. Since you raise it, it has occurred to me that whoever prepared the contract for that particular player on behalf of the club didn't do a very good job.
Perhaps the salary increase if promoted should have been contingent upon being selected for the first team squad or making a certain number of first team appearances ?