Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

A record low Sky Sports TV audience that watched Cardiff's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:35 am

The record low Sky Sports TV audience that watched Cardiff City's 2-1 defeat to Burnley

The (average audience) figure of 447,900 for Cardiff's game is Sky Sports' lowest for a Premier League fixture.

By Dominic Booth

Tuesday 2nd October 2018

Cardiff City's Premier League defeat to Burnley was the least-watched Sky Sports TV game of season so far, with fewer than 450,000 tuning in to watch the beleaguered Bluebirds.

The 2-1 loss for Neil Warnock's side coincided with the thrilling climax to the Ryder Cup, the huge golf event scooping the vast majority of Sky Sports' viewers at the weekend.

And after viewers slammed Sky Sports' choice of Cardiff versus Burnley for its 'Super Sunday' offering — with fans of rivals clubs joking about "false advertising" — that feeling was borne out in the viewing figures.

The (average audience) figure of 447,900 for Cardiff's game is Sky Sports' lowest for a Premier League fixture this season, 23,800 fewer than the audience that watched Southampton's Monday night clash with Brighton (471,700).

Manchester United's 3-0 defeat to Spurs on August 27 remains the most-watched Sky Sports game of the season with an average audience of 1.49million.

However, Cardiff's match was not helped by the fact it was only screened on the Sky Sports Premier League channel, with most games on both that and the Main Event channel.

An audience of 1.09million watched West Ham's 3-1 win over Everton in the 4pm kick off on Sunday September 16, while a fortnight earlier 948,000 watched Tottenham Hotspur beaten by Watford. But again both those games were screened simultaneously on two channels.

The Super Sunday affair between Newcastle and Chelsea on August 26 was watched by 1.24million while 1.19million watched Man United beaten by Brighton a week earlier.

The earlier Sunday kick offs tend to attract lower audiences than 4pm games, while the Southampton versus Brighton clash represents a very low audience — considering it was shown on two channels with no major clashes.

It costs Sky Sports around £10.8million to show each match, a figure which will go down to £9.3million after the latest TV deal that agreed they will air 128 live games between 2019 and 2022.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: A record low Sky Sports TV audience that watched Cardiff

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:45 am

Perhaps the Ryder Cup had an impact on the figures aswell.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:18 am

noisycat wrote:Perhaps the Ryder Cup had an impact on the figures aswell.

mate, it had finished before City's game went live :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:20 am

Hardly a 'record' low. The lowest so far THIS season. Up against a major sporting event reaching its conclusion, buried by Sky on just one channel instead of the usual two. It was deliberate.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:21 am

grange_end1927 wrote:

No it hadnt, i was watching both at the same time

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:25 am

Deano1 wrote:
grange_end1927 wrote:

As usual mate, never down there in person :laughing6:

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:31 am

The day before the game tv announcers was taking the piss. How Burnley had the record for longest passes and Cardiff had the record for fewest passes. They went on about how they felt sorry for the ball. It is what people think of games like this, and sadly for those who missed it, the game was pretty entertaining.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:42 am

grange_end1927 wrote:
Deano1 wrote:
grange_end1927 wrote:

As usual mate, never down there in person :laughing6:

The 850 mile round trip on a sunday afternoon isnt always convenient, i'll give you that :thumbright:

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:52 am

Got to be honest the constant negativity and outright piss taking of our club by outside bodies & platforms is starting to get on my tits. We are one of 20 clubs in the highest level of football in the country and earned this place by right. We deservedly finished ahead of many “big” clubs like Leeds, Villa, Derby, Wednesday, Forest last season to our place in the elite. Honestly anyone who thinks it’s a bad time for CCFC should have been there when we lost 5-0 at home to Maidstone & 7-2 to Cambridge.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:56 am

Armchair fans who cares.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:11 am

Makes sense.
If I was a neutral the last thing I would be doing on a sunny Sunday afternoon would be watching this game on TV.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:02 pm

What do you expect with burnley population of 70 odd thousand

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:03 pm

To be fair if I wasn't a city fan I probably wouldn't have watched it either

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:04 pm

Well it was expected really, i know fans of football are mad on the sport but to have the match on when the golf was on was a bit stupid in Sky Sports side of things, this means that not many care for our club.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:15 pm

neilst wrote:What do you expect with burnley population of 70 odd thousand

Off the point, I know, but got to admire these Lancashire towns, each with their own club. Burnley, Blackburn, Preston, to name just three. All in the shadow of the Manchester and Liverpool clubs.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:15 pm

I used to play and watch golf quite a bit but these days I don’t play at all and the only golf tournament I always watch is the Ryder Cup but football is much more important. The golf wasn’t over when I went to my seat in the Canton about quarter to 4 as I was watching it on the big screen under the stand.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:27 pm

caegarwblue wrote:Got to be honest the constant negativity and outright piss taking of our club by outside bodies & platforms is starting to get on my tits. We are one of 20 clubs in the highest level of football in the country and earned this place by right. We deservedly finished ahead of many “big” clubs like Leeds, Villa, Derby, Wednesday, Forest last season to our place in the elite. Honestly anyone who thinks it’s a bad time for CCFC should have been there when we lost 5-0 at home to Maidstone & 7-2 to Cambridge.

Exactly the way i am thinking about the national media towards our club, i wonder if the media made an issue the day after the previous lowest viewing figures. (saints v brighton) ???

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:28 pm

Why? A lot of people in those towns watch Manchester united and Liverpool.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Its a welsh thing plain and simple a constant drip and piss take of anything to do with wales whats a welsh club doing in our League, cue the england lovers springing to there defence, would be interested what the viewing figures where for our home game with arsenal though

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:05 pm

montyblue wrote:Its a welsh thing plain and simple a constant drip and piss take of anything to do with wales whats a welsh club doing in our League, cue the england lovers springing to there defence, would be interested what the viewing figures where for our home game with arsenal though

Swansea were everyone's darlings

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:27 pm

That's ok perhaps all our home games will be saturday 3pm, happy with that as I had to miss sunday's game because I was in London.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:32 pm

It's no surprise when every media outlet moan about city's performances and style of play? This match was a niche market only city/Burnley fans interested besides stragglers with nothing better to do.! At least now we won't be on to many times again? :laughing6:

Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:31 pm

The Ryder Cup is the third most watched sporting event, after the Olympics and the World Cup. Of course it’s going to impact on viewing figures for anything on at the same time.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:25 pm

The tossers at sky must have been rubbing their hands with delight when they saw our fixture with burnley coincided with the Ryder cup ,
Let’s get that pile of shit on super Sunday and we’ve done our bit to pacify the Cardiff and burnley fans

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:27 pm

City Slicker wrote:
montyblue wrote:Its a welsh thing plain and simple a constant drip and piss take of anything to do with wales whats a welsh club doing in our League, cue the england lovers springing to there defence, would be interested what the viewing figures where for our home game with arsenal though

Swansea won a lot of praise for their football in their first 3 seasons there. After the attractive football died away, very few people outside Swansea give a flying f**k them.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:59 pm

How many watch the games on those Kodi boxes/ Firesticks too? Must be tens of thousands...most of South Wales anyway!

Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:35 am

Ryder Cup final day - Nonarticle just an excuse to have a dig, feck em they don't like us who cares, stick together Bluebirds it's us against the Media and the rest of the League. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:44 am

murphy wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

Swansea won a lot of praise for their football in their first 3 seasons there. After the attractive football died away, very few people outside Swansea give a flying f**k them.

his point was that its clearly NOT a Welsh thing..

Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Bluebina wrote:Ryder Cup final day - Nonarticle just an excuse to have a dig, feck em they don't like us who cares, stick together Bluebirds it's us against the Media and the rest of the League. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:thumbup: