Talksport last night

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Talksport last night

Postby Jumanji Jim » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:28 pm

The topic was that Cardiff City should be forced to spend more money to become more competitive!!

What a joke Adrian Durham is!! Look at Newcastle and Huddersfield who have spent way more than us and are in the same position!!
But this I swear, before you and before Almighty God, that when we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead or alive, we will all come home together
Jumanji Jim

Talksport last night

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Talksport last night

Postby City Slicker » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:07 pm

Jumanji Jim wrote:The topic was that Cardiff City should be forced to spend more money to become more competitive!!

What a joke Adrian Durham is!! Look at Newcastle and Huddersfield who have spent way more than us and are in the same position!!

Damn good point I think and it may well be something the PL will look into in the future.
City Slicker

Postby Willo Cardiff » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Tbf Durham didn’t have a bad word to say about the fans and the players commitment he was basically pointing the finger at Tan for not even trying to compete to stay in The league.
Willo Cardiff

Postby Sneggyblubird » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Willo Cardiff wrote:Tbf Durham didn’t have a bad word to say about the fans and the players commitment he was basically pointing the finger at Tan for not even trying to compete to stay in The league.

They don't call it Talk Shite for nothing and that Durham fella most important job is to work out who he can best offend so as to boost his ratings.If you take him seriously then more fool you.
Sneggyblubird

Postby Jumanji Jim » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:47 pm

Willo Cardiff wrote:Tbf Durham didn’t have a bad word to say about the fans and the players commitment he was basically pointing the finger at Tan for not even trying to compete to stay in The league.

Why should clubs be forced to spend beyond their means? We aren't a rich club, we are planning for the future at the end of the day, and look what happened the last time we were in the PL, we spent like it was going out of fashion and still got the same end result, with players on ludicrous contracts in the Championship as a result.
But this I swear, before you and before Almighty God, that when we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead or alive, we will all come home together
Jumanji Jim

Postby dogfound » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:50 pm

City Slicker wrote:
Jumanji Jim wrote:The topic was that Cardiff City should be forced to spend more money to become more competitive!!

Damn good point I think and it may well be something the PL will look into in the future.

they have looked into spending at length and come up with things like FFP to try and get clubs to spend LESS and live within their means.
there is a long long list of clubs overspending but recently Villa were in a hell of a mess last summer and Swansea are in the process of selling anything that's not nailed down..
as a matter of interest how much do you think the EPL should be insisting we spend in your eyes.?
dogfound

Postby BluebirdWhitchurch » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:56 pm

Newcastle have a far better net spend than us
BluebirdWhitchurch

Postby Walinoz » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:35 pm

I heard the programme , in fairness Durham said he loves warnock , the stadium and the fans down here and when some Chelsea fan came on saying that Cardiff shouldn’t even be in the English premier league as they are Welsh blah blah blah he shot him down and said this is not to be an anti Cardiff topic and that he loved the city had some of the best times when coming down here for the fa cup finals , Goughie was the same saying Cardiff is a magnificent city and always loves coming here
Walinoz

Postby City Slicker » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:57 pm

Walinoz wrote:I heard the programme , in fairness Durham said he loves warnock , the stadium and the fans down here and when some Chelsea fan came on saying that Cardiff shouldn’t even be in the English premier league as they are Welsh blah blah blah he shot him down and said this is not to be an anti Cardiff topic and that he loved the city had some of the best times when coming down here for the fa cup finals , Goughie was the same saying Cardiff is a magnificent city and always loves coming here

Yes but that's patronising. Durham's point was well made. From the Premier League's point of view the reason so much money is available to newly promoted clubs is to get them up to speed with the step up in quality; it''s not within the spirit of things for it to end up in owners' pockets. However, there is a fair point to be made that, given the massive difference in money available, it may not no be currently enough.
City Slicker

Postby Walinoz » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:46 pm

The subject of the topic was fair enough , we know why we only spent 29mil but how was he patronising ? He and goughie were being very sincere in what they said about us in general
Walinoz

Postby billy ronson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Phil,
Don’t forget clubs are given parachute payments as well to help them adjust financially when relegated . So I guess they have a point saying the money made from being in the Premier is meant to improve your team not to cover debts incurred which is fine except this would distract buyers who would see less profit from buying a football club.
However, how many clubs have spent above their means , been relegated then fallen into HMRC and transfer embargo’s,etc ! clubs also have to be smarter when negotiating contracts to ensure they have a relegation clause in contracts for reduced salaries.
I'm free to be
Whatever I, whatever I choose
And I'll sing the blues if I want
billy ronson

Postby goats » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:01 pm

I think Tan is right to be frugal and bring our debts down to be honest, all I wonder is why doesn’t he find one if his wealthy buddies to chip in and help run the club maybe? He could sell half and use that investment to buy a striker or something?
It wouldn’t take too much to keep us above hudds, Burnely etc surely
goats

Postby City Slicker » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:10 pm

billy ronson wrote:Phil,
Don’t forget clubs are given parachute payments as well to help them adjust financially when relegated . So I guess they have a point saying the money made from being in the Premier is meant to improve your team not to cover debts incurred which is fine except this would distract buyers who would see less profit from buying a football club.
However, how many clubs have spent above their means , been relegated then fallen into HMRC and transfer embargo’s,etc ! clubs also have to be smarter when negotiating contracts to ensure they have a relegation clause in contracts for reduced salaries.

Yes, Bill the parachute payments are available in reverse; to soften the blow after losing the Premier money and help adapt to the Championship, with the view that crowds, merchandising and general income will be lower.

I guess many would be football owners realize this can be a tricky business, but not insuperable. I don't believe even those with particularly large pockets want to lose any money. If there were any one secret to success it would be to set a development plan and ensure you keep to it. That will obviously involve key aspects like selecting the right manager and optimising crowd engagement to build a business platform for incremental success.

I take your point about potential owners not liking business constraints but, if done properly, the rewards are there in merchandising and television money to make it worthwhile. An absolutely crucial aspect is to ensure contract negotiations are conducted to your advantage.

However, I just think it's not in the Premier League's interest for some business owners to just use a season in the league as a cash cow for a quick injection of funds. They have a product which their business plan requires them to maintain its value and if it starts to devalue it could lead to big problems for them. They may need to think of certain investment rules for new club members to ensure the league's integrity. Nevertheless, in my opinion the Premier bosses also urgently need to address the ever widening gulf between the top and new entrants because ultimately it could all lead to the failure of their project.
City Slicker

Postby billy ronson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:21 pm

Yes, the reason the Premier League attracts sponsorship,etc is based on the end product and clubs not improving their squads,etc could potentially impact that making the gap between the have and have nots even bigger talent wise !
I know realistically there are only 4 maybe 5 teams who can win the division but usually the other 15 make it competitive, the last thing they want is a division like La Liga where basically the results can be predictable !

Let’s hope we can come away with something on Saturday, the whole club and fans desperately need a lift :bluescarf:
I'm free to be
Whatever I, whatever I choose
And I'll sing the blues if I want
billy ronson

Postby RhiwEbbwBluebird » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:29 pm

I listened too. Durham and goughie very complimentry of cardiff the city and shot that thick tw*t from chelsea down straight away. Dont agree with their point about being forced to spend money. We should have spent more though in my opinion, not stupid money like fulham or wolves but more towards the 50 million they were on about and that would have made us more competative so they had a point there.
RhiwEbbwBluebird

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:13 am

Well you can't force people to spend money for several important reasons which should be clear even to Adrian. It infringes the right to private property for a start and what if they haven't got the money to spend ?

No, but we could ,and as I have said several times here, should , introduce spending limits for clubs. It's been done in the USA which doesn't warm to being told his to spend its money , but they realised that if they didn't act it would kill the game .

There's no doubt that our game is dying on its feet and if Sky or their new owners either go out of business or decide to stop handing out ridiculous sums for tv rights then it'll happen very suddenly. I don't know whether it's considered racist to say this in our insane society , but we also need to limit the number of foreign players per team or we'll end up without any British nations being able to field a credible side in internationals.

Looking at attendances for most games , particularly in the lower divisions, you wonder how sick people are of seeing their teams unable to compete and existing merely as stooges for rich teams to ritually beat on TV every week .
SirJimmySchoular

Postby dogfound » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:25 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Well you can't force people to spend money for several important reasons which should be clear even to Adrian. It infringes the right to private property for a start and what if they haven't got the money to spend ?

No, but we could ,and as I have said several times here, should , introduce spending limits for clubs. It's been done in the USA which doesn't warm to being told his to spend its money , but they realised that if they didn't act it would kill the game .

There's no doubt that our game is dying on its feet and if Sky or their new owners either go out of business or decide to stop handing out ridiculous sums for tv rights then it'll happen very suddenly. I don't know whether it's considered racist to say this in our insane society , but we also need to limit the number of foreign players per team or we'll end up without any British nations being able to field a credible side in internationals.

Looking at attendances for most games , particularly in the lower divisions, you wonder how sick people are of seeing their teams unable to compete and existing merely as stooges for rich teams to ritually beat on TV every week .

not sure what your point is re attendances...?
dogfound

Postby City Slicker » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:28 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Well you can't force people to spend money for several important reasons which should be clear even to Adrian. It infringes the right to private property for a start and what if they haven't got the money to spend ?

If you own the rights to your own competition you can construct whatever rules you wish to protect your interest. They can set qualifying criteria.
City Slicker

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:44 am

dogfound wrote:

not sure what your point is re attendances...?

Well simply that people will eventually get sick of going to watch teams whom they cannot even hope will win anything much. All the components which combined to gain football success are now trumped with a big chequebook aren't they ?
There's little point in taking part in a game of poker if you know the cards are marked.
And this isn't just a prediction at this point because we can see that there are very limited opportunities for the likes of a young Bobby Charlton to develop when the big teams just buy in established foreign players and ,to answer your question , we can see that the crowds at smaller clubs are dwindling away because they know very well that there's no hope whatever that their teams can progress .

Actually, Cardiff are quite a big club which has spent a lot of money compared to the majority of clubs in England an Wales,which is easy to forget in the current circumstances, we've got a lot of stuff right, but we can see that's not good enough when a few moneyball consortiums can just cancel that all out with their chequebooks. The majority of clubs in the league, ( some of whom have a magnificent traditiion),could only dream of spending what Cardiff have, so what possible hope remains for them ?

We've sold our whole game out to a few clubs and I'm saying that if we don't act , football as a popular sport in the uk will cease to exist except as some sort of show business circus type events between six teams. Maybe they'll eventually play the games on a computer instead of a pitch and they'll allow teams to have extra players or smaller goals if they pay for it.
SirJimmySchoular

Return to General Chat