Fans with UNREALISTIC expectations of transfer targets.

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby BrightBlueFuture » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:54 pm

We're having a lot of comments about signings and the perceived lack of value people think Warnock has been getting... Here are some points to argue:

1) transfer market inflation is well beyond the inflation of our club value and guaranteed income streams.

2) We have many people showing real naïvety criticising players for having the temerity to be worth £10m in the current market and then expecting them to be nailed on players to be ready to star in the Premier League immediately. The near minimum for a player that is Premier League quality is £18m - £20m + WAGES of £40k+. Even then it can go wrong. We are nowhere near ready to start competing at that level.

3)Wage structure - There is no way under our current model we can start handing out long-term contracts with big money guarantees.

4) Do any of you realise the type of player that is even interested in playing for us?... It's not that wide a pool of players. Unfortunately we ended up with Madine I believe due to this. We are an attractive proposition for higher-level Championship players because they know from recent history we will always be there or thereabouts at the top of the Championship or lower Prem...

Overall, I am pleased with how the fans are backing the team and manager at games but there's an undercurrent of people online making uneducated comments and judgements.

We need to be looking at the long-term plan. Murphy, Reid, Smithies, Cunningham is one hell of a fall-back if we end up back in the Championship. Even if we go down we'll still be able to make positive outlay next season and bring some other exciting new talent to the club as we won't be in a perilous position any more.

I'm also seeing some of the players being brought in to slowly adapt our style of play to have even more pace in the attack. Okay we're not near the finished article yet but there are positive signs.

And you never know, we could actually stay up this season... 31 games to go and all that... Remember we lost 4-in-a-row last season... What happened next? :ayatollah:
BrightBlueFuture

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Fans with UNREALISTIC expectations of transfer targets.

Postby phildavies » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:55 pm

I have no problem with the amount of money we spent. My main gripe is that Warnock completely wasted millions on the signing of Smithies and Cunnigham that we’re not needed. When anyone with a brain cell knew we needed to sign a RB and a striker.
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Return to General Chat