Football fan 'saw big man trying to smash bottle over someon

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:35 pm

DAY 4:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=200626

Tuesday 2nd October / Cardiff Crown Court

Cardiff / Villa

Villa fans arrived at 7pm at Cardiff Pub 2hrs after game had finished.

Football fan 'saw big man trying to smash bottle over someone's head' during post-match pub brawl

Court Reporter

Birmingham live / Media Wales

Tuesday 2nd October 2018

A football fan accused of being part of “huge disorder” in a Cardiff pub following a match told a court he took “necessary” action.

Five men are on trial following a post-game brawl at The Cornwall pub in Grangetown following the Championship clash between Cardiff City and Aston Villa on August 12 last year.

Cardiff City supporters Nathan Pleace and Vincent Richards, along with Aston Villa supporters Mark Baker, Gary Tucker and Brett Clarke all deny violent disorder and are on trial at Cardiff Crown Court.

On Tuesday three of the defendants gave evidence in their own defence.

Bluebirds fan Pleace, 30, of Andrew’s Road, in Llandaff North, told the jury he and a few friends were heading to the city centre through Grangetown after the match and headed towards The Cornwall.

He said had consumed four of five pints of lager.

CCTV played in court showed him standing outside the pub when a bottle smashed nearby.

He said: “I thought it was a commotion between locals but when I heard their accent I knew they weren’t from here.

“The first thing I saw was a big man with a bottle physically trying to smash a bottle over someone’s head. I didn’t want the man coming any closer to us.”

The footage shows Pleace throwing a plastic glass at the men during what he described as “huge disorder”.

The CCTV also showed him kicking out at a man on the floor and appearing to throw a punch, which he described as a shove, to a man on the floor.

He described the men as “agitated” and said they were calling people for a fight.

Asked what was going through his head, he said: “You haven’t got time to think – it was just one of those moments.”

He then picked up a chair from the pub which he said was a natural reaction. Pleace said he thought the group’s intentions were to cause serious harm to people in and out of the pub.

He added: “I thought everything I was doing on that day was necessary.”

Fellow defendant Tucker, 51, of Holly Lane in Birmingham, said he and other Villa fans left the Cardiff City Stadium when Aston Villa were losing at half-time. He said they went on a “pub crawl” and went to several pubs around Cardiff.

The court heard how the men said they were going to stop off at the first off licence they saw.

The bus of around 20 to 30 fans stopped outside Millennium Fish & Chips in Cornwall Street, opposite The Cownwall.

Tucker told the court he was on the bus when he heard someone shout “pub, pub” and they made their way towards the pub. CCTV was shown to the jury of the bus arriving.

Giving evidence Tucker said he didn’t enter the pub but he threw an object – believed to be a plastic pint glass – out of “frustration” and felt it was “necessary”.

He said it was in the heat of the moment but wasn’t sure why he had thrown an object.

When Tucker was arrested he declined legal advice and gave a no comment interview until he had spoken with a solicitor he knew.

Baker, 47, of Ashburton Road in Birmingham, was dressed in a white T-shirt and blue shorts on the footage and said he stood out like a “sore thumb”.

He told the court if he was coming for violence he would have dressed differently.

CCTV showed Baker throwing a can down the street, which he said wasn’t intended to hit anyone.

He also told the jury their behaviour was “childish” and they acted like a “bunch of lads”.

After heading back to the bus the court heard Baker returned to the pub. He said he heard someone was “trapped inside” and went to try and help.

When he was arrested he declined to have free independent legal advice, claiming the solicitors could have been “useless”.

Clarke, 40 of Winchester Drive in Solihull, also involved in the case, chose not to give evidence.

Richards, 32, of Leckwith Road in Llandough, is due to begin his defence on Wednesday.

All of the defendants deny violent disorder.

The trial continues.

Attachments
BBEHZ3h.img.jpeg
BBEHZ3h.img.jpeg (18.34 KiB) Viewed 871 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Football fan 'saw big man trying to smash bottle over so

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:36 pm

Attachments
1_Untitled-design-67.jpg
1_Untitled-design-67.jpg (63.95 KiB) Viewed 870 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Re: Football fan 'saw big man trying to smash bottle over so

Postby dogfound » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:45 pm

court cases...

2 blokes threw PLASTIC GLASSES...both thought the action necessary
1 threw a can that was not intended to hit anyone.

it sounds like the CPS have very little evidence
dogfound

Return to General Chat