Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Roy Keane and Harry Arter patch up differences to delight of

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:05 pm

Roy Keane and Harry Arter patch up differences to delight of Martin O'Neill

Irish News

Thursday 4th October 2018

Roy Keane and Harry Arter have patched up their differences and the Cardiff City midfielder is back in the Ireland squad.

But Declan Rice - as expected - has not made himself available for the Nations League games against Denmark and Wales.

Ireland boss Martin O’Neill remains “hopeful” that Rice could still side with Ireland despite strong suggestions in the UK today that he will side with England.

But Arter is back in the mix having made himself unavailable for last month’s games against Wales and Poland.

He stepped away in protest following a series of furious summer bust ups with assistant manager Keane, as revealed by Mirror Sport.

O’Neill said today: “It’s fine. Roy and Harry have had a conversation and Harry is pretty happy and wants to be in the squad and play.

“He wants to put it behind him and Harry does as well. Harry is pretty happy with the outcome (of the meeting with Keane) and is back in the squad.

“I’m delighted as we don’t have that many players playing in the Premier League even though his club side is finding it difficult.”

O’Neill continued: “Harry is back in the squad and wants to play. I think we’ve all learned something from it.

“The game is about trying to prove people wrong and that’s it. The conversation between the two went excellently. They put it right and that’s the case. I’m happy.”

Meanwhile, O’Neill said he remains in contact with both Rice and the player's father and has not given up hope that the West Ham teen will side with Ireland.

“I spoke to the family and to Declan,” he said. “They want a little more time to make their minds up and I’m comfortable with that. He hasn’t chosen anyone yet.

“I’m hopeful. I wouldn’t want to put a deadline on it, but you would want some sort of resolution as we’ve games to play but if he chose us I’d be delighted.”

Ex-Dundalk star Richie Towell has been called up for the first time but crocked skipper Seamus Coleman, Jon Walters and Robbie Brady are out.

Stephen Ward is a doubt with injury but Darragh Lenihan, Derrick Williams, Greg Cunningham, Alan Browne, Shane Long, Seanie Maguire and Scott Hogan return after missing last month's games.

Republic of Ireland Provisional Squad

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Colin Doyle (Hearts), Sean McDermott (Kristiansund BK)

Defenders: Cyrus Christie (Fulham), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Richard Keogh (Derby County), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Kevin Long (Burnley), John Egan, Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Darragh Lenihan, Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers), Greg Cunningham (Cardiff City)

Midfielders: Alan Judge (Brentford), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Shaun Williams (Millwall), David Meyler (Reading), Harry Arter (Cardiff City*), Daryl Horgan (Hibernian), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City), Richie Towell (Rotherham United*)

Forwards: Shane Long (Southampton), Graham Burke, Callum Robinson, Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Aiden O'Brien (Millwall), Scott Hogan (Aston Villa), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Roy Keane and Harry Arter patch up differences to deligh

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:54 pm

That whole Declan Rice situation is a disgrace imo and something FIFA need to get a grip on and sort out so as not to make a mockery of International Football.

I know as a Nation we have benefited from non Welsh born players qualifying through a grandparent etc and I know Ben Thatcher had played four games for England U21's before his 7 caps for us.

But this Rice kid has been in the ROI set up since the u16's and has played 20 games from U16's to U21's and 3 times for the Senior Side, how you can then switch to a different country is beyond me to be honest.