Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Why Ryan Giggs chose Cardiff's Jazz Richards over Swansnea's

Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:09 pm

Why Ryan Giggs chose Cardiff City's Jazz Richards over Swansea City's Joe Rodon in his Wales squad -

By Ian Mitchelmore

Thursday 4th October 2018

Ryan Giggs revealed Jazz Richards' experience ensured he got the nod for Wales over Swansea City defender Joe Rodon.

Rodon has been a revelation under Graham Potter so far this season and has helped Swansea keep three consecutive clean sheets since he returned to the squad after being left out for the 1-0 loss to Stoke City last month.

Speaking after his side's 0-0 draw with Wigan at the DW Stadium on Tuesday night, Rodon admitted he was keeping his fingers crossed for a call up to the senior Wales squad in the near future.

But he has been included in Rob Page's Under-21 squad for their games against Romania and Switzerland over the international break, with Richards being selected for the senior side's matches with Spain and Republic of Ireland in place of Tom Lockyer who is absent due to injury.

And Giggs believes 13-cap international Richards was a better fit for his plans ahead of the second international break of the campaign.

"It was in the respect that I was happy with the last camp. We had couple of injuries with Joe Ledley and Tom Lockyer, who had suffered with concussion," said Giggs.

"Joe Rodon was in the reckoning but it was whether if he came with me or Pagey.

"I just felt Jazz was a better fit for me. Even though he’s playing and Jazz isn’t.

"But I’m happy with Joe’s progress.

"They were the only problems I had in picking the squad."

Richards has featured just three times in all competitions for the Bluebirds so far this season while centre-back Rodon has made nine Championship appearances for the Swans.

Speaking ahead of his side's Championship clash with Ipswich Town, Swansea boss Potter admitted he is pleased Rodon is in the mix for Wales selection.

"It’s good to see he is close, and we are proud of Joe and what he has done," said Potter.

"He is at the start of his career and I respect Ryan’s decision. He has a lot of choices. For us we are happy Joe is with us and we look forward to helping him carry on developing."

Rodon's Swansea team mate Connor Roberts has once again been included in the senior set up, as has left-back Declan John who moved to the Liberty Stadium from Rangers in the summer.

Wales face Spain at the Principality Stadium next Thursday before taking on Republic of Ireland at Dublin's Aviva Stadium five days later.

Wales squad: Hennessey, Ward, A Davies; A Williams, Chester, B Davies, Gunter, C Roberts, Mepham, Richards, Ampadu, Dummett, John; Allen, King, Brooks, Smith, Ramsey; Bale, Woodburn, Wilson, Lawrence, Vokes, G Thomas, T Roberts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.