Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING NEIL WARNOCK: " UPDATES CARDIFF CITY FANS"

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:47 am

:bluebird: " NEIL WARNOCK UPDATES CARDIFF CITY FANS " :bluebird:

Friday 5th October 2018

Injury latest

NEIL WARNOCK:

"We don’t have anything new as such. Gunnarsson will hopefully be involved against Fulham, he’s not far away."

How do you feel on your two-year anniversary?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“There’s so much water that’s gone under the bridge, it’s amazing and something I’m really proud of. But we’ve got to move forward now. It was incredible to see 30,000 against Burnley and it’s my biggest achievement to bring everyone together. All I need now is some results to make everyone happy.”

Results needed?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“I don’t know how we didn’t win last week but it was a positive performance and the fans were a positive - I’m sure we’ve filled our allocation for Wembley, whatever that is!”

Why didn’t striker happen in the summer?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“We just couldn’t get it over the line. As you’re aware agents push targets and we were really close to the line on getting terms agreed, it was just one of those things. It get very close with the midfield lads, it was 10 minutes before the deadline, but I don’t know where we’d be without those lads. You only have to look at the money that’s been spent to see what money gets you in the Premier League. But we do need that striker to finish it off.”

Why are fans on side?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“I’m not knocking the English but it must be something in the Welsh blood!"

"They do seem to be quite intelligent regarding things. It’s almost like a family here, in any family you have fallouts and you have to overcome things."

"The fans are probably more supportive now than they were 12 months ago and that’s great for the players. It’s an amazing situation and I can’t remember it happening anywhere else. I’m so grateful that they’re behind us.”

" READ ALL NEIL WARNOCKS UPDATES BELOW ' :thumbright: :bluebird:

Under pressure?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“Every manager is under pressure, two or three managers have already been mentioned to take my job but you’re going to get that I’m afraid. "

"The worst is when other managers are in the stand watching when you’re still in the job - I’ve had that a couple of times! What’s the worst that can happen? I get a few weeks with Sharon, go to Italy and have a good Christmas - that’s the worst case scenario!”

Keen to prove people wrong?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“Intelligent people know the situation we’re in and we know it’s going to be difficult. We knew we weren’t going to be in the market for the players that other clubs were in the market for. But we’ve got some decent players, a close-knitted group and I don’t think it’s been a lack of quality which has cost us. It’s been individual silly mistakes, not even the quality of the opposition.”

Are this group good enough without additions?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“At the minute having looked at the situation for 7 games, we do need 2 or 3 quality players. But we need to grind out results until January, maybe try one or two things to see if we can get goals from other areas. Our top scorer last year was 10 goals, so we’ve not been prolific even in the Championship. But it’s not been the goals that’s concerned me, it’s been letting them in."

“Our chief scout has got to come up with names, from abroad as well as England, and we’ve got to be careful and make sure we get value for money in our dealings.”

Spurs injuries?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“They’ve had six injuries but with the squad they put out, would any of my team get into their squad? I’m not sure. They’ve got people like Harry Winks to come in, who is under 23 so not even in their 25. So we’ve got to build that academy and the future.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL WARNOCK:

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:48 am

NEIL WARNOCK:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:49 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

“Vincent wants 30 shots per game! We do work on attacking, but Liverpool didn’t even have one shot the other night."

"It’s not black and white football, you can have 20 shots like ourselves and end of losing a game. Lots of ingredients go into the recipe.”

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:49 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

Uniting Cardiff City - team and fans :bluebird:

"My biggest achievement at Cardiff is bringing the whole club together in my two years here," Warnock admits.

"Seeing the 30,000 crowd to watch us play Burnley on a Sunday afternoon - with the game on television - just summed that up. I thought it was incredible and it just shows how far we've come."

From day one, he set about giving those fans, stung by the rebrand and other issues, a team to be proud of again.

After a morale-boosting Severnside derby victory over Bristol City in his first game, the prospect of an eighth promotion never left his mind, even if he had off-field issues to iron out.

"I felt I could do that (promotion) here, but I needed Mehmet and Vincent and the fans on board," he says.

"I felt if we had a decent run at the end of my first season we could then have a look at what we needed to push for the top six. We were proved right.

"Most managers would have said that first season 'my job is to keep us in this division', but the squad had a nucleus of solid players, which I could build on and organised them to give them belief. That first game was important too as that gave belief to the fans that something could happen."

The process of managing "upstairs" - keeping owner Vincent Tan in the loop and tempering expectations - has been a well-documented part of Warnock's role in the Welsh capital.

And it's something which suited the Yorkshireman's effervescent personality and his ability to man manage, which he once described as his "only skill".

"The way that I am, most of my time as a manager has been putting fires out and I don't enjoy dealing with chairmen and owners but I know it's part of my job," Warnock says.

"I knew the club could be successful if everyone was singing from the same song sheet.

"We did everything we could to bring it together and I felt it was important to go round the Valleys, visit a few supporters clubs, to show the fans how much I cared, to give them a voice.

"To show them I hadn't just come to Cardiff for a job, I wanted promotion.

"We've sprinted before we can walk and we didn't expect to get where we are so fast - but you can't turn down success. But it's difficult to maintain when it comes so quick."

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:50 am

Does it worry you that the fans could turn?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“I don’t want it to sour, Mehmet knows my feelings and we know what we want in January. But I’m going to enjoy myself and try to get a result against one of the best teams. You’ve not got to think too much about that.”

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:50 am

How do you feel on your two-year anniversary?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“There’s so much water that’s gone under the bridge, it’s amazing and something I’m really proud of. But we’ve got to move forward now. It was incredible to see 30,000 against Burnley and it’s my biggest achievement to bring everyone together. All I need now is some results to make everyone happy.”

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:51 am

On Pochettino

NEIL WARNOCK:

“I think he’s super, he’s a lovely guy. I’ve always done quite well against him actually. You get criticised at the top of the league differently to us."

"They should have beaten Inter Milan, they played so well and they ended up losing. They’re a really good exciting team and with the English lads they’ve got we should be proud of Poch for giving them an opportunity. No disrespect to Tottenham but I think he’ll go onto higher things.”

Mauricio Pochettino

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:01 am

Most enjoyable moment in two years?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“Without a shadow of a doubt the biggest achievement that I’ve had is putting the fans back on side, that they love their club again, they love the Bluebirds and they’ve come and supported again."

"I have a number of highlights, the first game against Bristol City, Hull City last year. When you see fans react, you have to look back fondly. We got promotion a bit quickly but I bet lots of clubs in the Championship wished they’d done that.”

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:02 am

Under pressure?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“Every manager is under pressure, two or three managers have already been mentioned to take my job but you’re going to get that I’m afraid. "

"The worst is when other managers are in the stand watching when you’re still in the job - I’ve had that a couple of times! What’s the worst that can happen? I get a few weeks with Sharon, go to Italy and have a good Christmas - that’s the worst case scenario!”

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:16 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:16 am

Wembley pitch?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“It didn’t look good, did it? The middle part looked like Blackpool beach, but then it didn’t play that badly. I was really surprised because going to Wembley in the old days was like a bowling green, it was like playing on a snooker table. My ambition was always to manage at Wembley on the hallowed turf."

"I’m disappointed it’s not the new stadium but it wasn’t to be. White Hart Lane was always my favourite ground from a manager’s point of view, but I’m sure the new stadium will be ready for next season...”

Spurs / Wembley pitch where Cardiff will play tomorrow

Angry fans and pundits branded the bobbly surface a 'disgrace' and an 'embarrassment' for such a prestigious occasion.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:27 am

I’m happy with the Wembley pitch, it’ll suit NW brand of football. Speaking of NW there’s no doubt he’s brought the club and fans together, so well done for that, BUT he should have bowed out gracefully at the end of last season, head held high and enjoy a well deserved retirement.
He’s out of his depth, comfort zone etc etc.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:14 am

Pathetic

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:27 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

Ball out of play for a long time?

“It looked like if Sean gets an injury to his arm, we might have to cancel the game! I don’t think we’re doing anything that’s against the laws. If anything, we’ve got to do quick throw-ins, so if anything it’s given us a jolt. There’s times we don’t need that, we’ve got to get on with it a bit quicker.”

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:35 am

Spurs to beat Cardiff 2/9

Cardiff to beat Spurs 14/1

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:10 am

' Neil Warnock Competitive Record at Cardiff City ' :bluebird:

Days: 730
Games: 95
Points Per Game: 1.61
Promotions: 1

Re: BREAKING NEIL WARNOCK:

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:23 am

Why didn’t striker happen in the summer?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“We just couldn’t get it over the line. As you’re aware agents push targets and we were really close to the line on getting terms agreed, it was just one of those things. It get very close with the midfield lads, it was 10 minutes before the deadline, but I don’t know where we’d be without those lads. You only have to look at the money that’s been spent to see what money gets you in the Premier League. But we do need that striker to finish it off.”

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:26 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

“Vincent wants 30 shots per game! We do work on attacking, but Liverpool didn’t even have one shot the other night."

"It’s not black and white football, you can have 20 shots like ourselves and end of losing a game. Lots of ingredients go into the recipe.”

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:29 am

Injury latest

NEIL WARNOCK:

"We don’t have anything new as such. Gunnarsson will hopefully be involved against Fulham, he’s not far away."

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:38 am

The test of Harry Kane

NEIL WARNOCK:

“It will be a good test for the lads and if you make a mistake with Harry Kane you’re going to get punished."

"We’ve got better players than people give us credit for, Arter and Camarasa have been excellent and Josh has done well and if we can play anything like that at the back, we can get a good result."

“But I think Mitrovic is going to be as tough as anyone, I guess it shows how far we’ve come.”

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:39 am

Is poor pitch to Cardiff’s advantage?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“What do you mean? Maybe if they took a tractor to it and ploughed it up it could help us. It might stop my ball-players from playing, if that’s what you mean."

“All you’ve got to do to beat Tottenham is have a Messi. Maybe Josh Murphy is our Messi - we’ll have to call him Jessi or something!”

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:41 am

Spurs injuries?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“They’ve had six injuries but with the squad they put out, would any of my team get into their squad? I’m not sure. They’ve got people like Harry Winks to come in, who is under 23 so not even in their 25. So we’ve got to build that academy and the future.”

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:44 am

Neil Warnock On Mourinho

NEIL WARNOCK:

“If he’s downbeat he should come in my office for a couple of hours and that’ll cheer him up! It’s not easy when everyone’s an expert and the British press like to build heroes up to knock them down."

"I don’t know Jose well but he’s always been superb with me, I wish him well. When you see him behind the scenes, he’s not the same Mourinho you see on the cameras.”

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:46 am

Why are fans on side?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“I’m not knocking the English but it must be something in the Welsh blood!"

"They do seem to be quite intelligent regarding things. It’s almost like a family here, in any family you have fallouts and you have to overcome things."

"The fans are probably more supportive now than they were 12 months ago and that’s great for the players. It’s an amazing situation and I can’t remember it happening anywhere else. I’m so grateful that they’re behind us.”

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 am

On Vincent Tan

NEIL WARNOCK:

“Vincent is as difficult as any owner but his heart is in the right place and he wants to do well. And if he wanted a different direction, I wouldn’t have a problem with that."

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:56 am

Spoken to Vincent this week?

VINCENT TAN:

“If Vincent could shoot for us, he would do, he just wants us to shoot more! He was disappointed like us last week and that’s how it is."

"You know names are being mentioned behind the scenes, every Tom, Dick and Harry."

"I have a conversation with him twice a week and he tells me where I’m going wrong."

"You get so much advice from these top agents who have done it at certain clubs, but these agents who have done well at clubs have done terrible at other clubs. Sometimes the grass is not always greener.”

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:58 am

Murphy says a win is coming

NEIL WARNOCK:

“It’s slightly different for a player than a manager. But when I first met Josh I thought he was very positive and he was very consistent last week and he can be a threat for us at this level. And he’s a good lad as well. He proved to himself last week that he’s capable. We need our version of Messi - I’m sure you’re not going to make a headline of that."

“People like Josh and Bobby Reid, you can’t just come into a club and make an impact, it takes a couple of months. Josh is more relaxed and things then become more natural to you when you’re relaxed. That’s what we’ve got to be like.”

Re: BREAKING NEIL WARNOCK: "TODAY UPDATES CARDIFF CITY FANS"

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:18 pm

Neil Warnock: Cardiff City boss already eyeing trio of signings in January including a striker and believes and hopes owner Tan will back him.

BBC

Friday 6th October 2018

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock says the club must not get cut adrift in the Premier League before the transfer window re-opens in January.

The Bluebirds are yet to win this season, their worst start to a campaign since 1964/1965.

NEIL WARNOCK:

"It's the biggest challenge of my career, we have to find away of getting results until January," Warnock said.

Warnock thinks Cardiff owner Vincent Tan will allow him to strengthen his squad in the New Year as he continues to battle in his "toughest job."

"It has been a pretty amazing ride really, a lot of memorable times and probably as difficult a job as I have ever had in my career, really," he told BBC Sport Wales.

No clue how to improve Cardiff defence - Warnock

"We've got there (the Premier League) too quick though, we've been victims of our own success.

"Every few months we've jumped up two steps, rather than one.

"You can't say no to the Premier League though. The bookies have already written us off… but we can win games at this level.

"It is alright to say Vincent (Tan) should put more money in, but he's spent a fortune already.

"We need to do the best we can. Let's get more results and stay in and around the group until January and then Vincent I think will let us have two or three players."

Warnock says the Bluebirds will target the signing of a striker, having missed out on players during the summer.

"We went after quite a number of strikers, but they all fell through for one reason or another," he said.

"Sometimes you have to move quickly and we hesitated on a couple of occasions and it cost us dearly.

"We are still learning, right from the start we've said we won't moan about anything. We wanted a few more players but they aren't here. There is no point crying over spilt milk.

"We've got to try and conjure up, up until the January transfer window . . . so that we don't get adrift and that we can hopefully get two or three players in.

"When you think to deadline day, we only got Harry Arter and Victor Camarasa in 10 minutes before deadline. Imagine where we'd be without those two.

"We've really worked hard, but it has been a difficult time for us and there is no point saying differently.

"We've come so far so quickly, but you can't turn it down can you?

"When I joined we wanted to stay in the Championship, now we are in the Premier League."

Warnock says the Bluebirds' failure to capture Jefferson Lerma, who subsequently signed for AFC Bournemouth, emphasises the difficultly Cardiff have in competing in the top flight.

"We looked at Lerma. We offered £5 million. He went to Bournemouth for £25 million. We aren't in that bracket yet," Warnock said.

"I have got to work within a budget and try and get the best I can.

"At the moment I don't think we can do too much more.

"Sometimes it is difficult to digest, but you have to walk before you can run."

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:20 pm

" PREMIER LEAGUE TABLE 2018-19 SEASON "

:bluebird: " OCTOBER 2018 " :bluebird:

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:50 pm

Neil Warnock admits his Cardiff City job is under pressure as agents float replacements to Vincent Tan -

By Ian Mitchelmore

Friday 6th October 2018

Neil Warnock accepts his position as Cardiff City manager is under pressure after revealing he has been holding regular talks with owner Vincent Tan.

And on the day he marked two years as Bluebirds boss , he admitted he would walk away from the job he has "loved every minute" of.

Cardiff's seven-game winless run in the Premier League has prompted question marks about Warnock - who has never enjoyed a full season and survived in the top flight - and his ability to keep the Welsh club afloat.

Volatile owner Tan sacked Malky Mackay midway through the Bluebirds' last, ill-fated, stint in the top flight, and Warnock revealed conversations have been taking place behind the scenes between the pair. He says agents have been floating other managers as potential replacements.

Yet the 69-year-old remains adamant he can grind out results before vital January investment in a bid to turn the Bluebirds' fortunes around.

"Vincent is as difficult as any owner but his heart is in the right place and he wants to do well," said Warnock.

"I have a conversation with him twice a week and he tells me where I’m going wrong.

"And if the time came where he felt someone else would be a different and a better option, I wouldn’t have a problem with that at all because I've loved every minute of it."

Warnock said the support from Cardiff's fans, who stayed behind to sing his name following the 2-1 defeat to Burnley last week , is driving him on to prove the critics wrong.

He believes he is still the right man to lead the club he has transformed in two years at the helm. That's despite currently sitting as the bookmakers' second favourite, behind Jose Mourinho, to become the first Premier League manager of the season to be sacked.

"It’s been a long slog for me and any manager will wonder ‘is the hard work worth it’ at times," he said.

"But when I look at 30,000 against Burnley and singing like they are, I think 'yeah it is worth it'.

"So we've got to get our fingers out, get some results to keep them on board until January. If we don't, it'll be someone else's problem, no doubt.

"Every manager is under pressure and every big agent is pushing managers' names - I've heard two or three have already been mentioned to take my job. But you’re going to get that, not just me - I'm sure Jose might have had one or two.

"You hope that the right people know what's going on and you can only do your own job, what will be, will be.

"The worst thing used to be when other managers come up and watch the game before you've had the sack - I’ve had that happen to me couple of times! That's not easy to take.

"But there are a lot worse things in life. What’s the worst scenario? I can go away for a few weeks with Sharon, to Italy or somewhere, have a nice relax and have a good Christmas - that’s looking at the downside!

"You know names are being mentioned behind the scenes but the grass isn't always greener."

Warnock hopes to harness the good feeling from Cardiff supporters - as well as ironing out a few issues on the pitch - ahead of a crucial run which includes home games against Fulham, Brighton and Leicester City.

First is the mammoth challenge of playing Tottenham at Wembley, where Warnock's team will be backed by a vocal sold-out away allocation.

And he revealed why he believes Cardiff's fans remain so firmly behind him despite a barren run of form.

"I’m not knocking the English but it must be something in the Welsh blood!" he smiled.

"They do seem to be quite intelligent regarding things.

"It’s almost like a family, we're in it together and in any family you have fall-outs and you have to overcome things. The fans are probably more supportive now than they were 12 months ago and it's great for the players.

"The fans know the players are giving everything. I think it’s an amazing situation and I can’t remember it happening anywhere else.

"You just hear, they'll out-shout the Tottenham fans tomorrow and I’m so grateful that they’re behind us

"I don’t want it to sour. I want enjoy myself and go to Wembley to try to get a result with my team who haven't won yet, against one of the best teams."