Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Why didn’t striker happen in the summer?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:23 am

Why didn’t striker happen in the summer?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“We just couldn’t get it over the line. As you’re aware agents push targets and we were really close to the line on getting terms agreed, it was just one of those things. It get very close with the midfield lads, it was 10 minutes before the deadline, but I don’t know where we’d be without those lads."

"You only have to look at the money that’s been spent to see what money gets you in the Premier League. But we do need that striker to finish it off.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Why didn’t striker happen in the summer?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:24 am

Are this group good enough without additions?

NEIL WARNOCK:

“At the minute having looked at the situation for 7 games, we do need 2 or 3 quality players. But we need to grind out results until January, maybe try one or two things to see if we can get goals from other areas. Our top scorer last year was 10 goals, so we’ve not been prolific even in the Championship. But it’s not been the goals that’s concerned me, it’s been letting them in."

“Our chief scout has got to come up with names, from abroad as well as England, and we’ve got to be careful and make sure we get value for money in our dealings.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:34 am

I'm sorry but saying we couldn't get one over the line isn't good enough. Along with midfielder it was surely a priority ahead of Reid and Murphy in my opinion.

He said the other week he was waiting on Abraham, madness at this level to be waiting for someone like him.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:35 am

Still not clear why we didn't get Tammy Abraham in when Chelsea wanted him to go to a premier league club and presumably the player would have preferred that too. Maybe we simply did not work hard enough on the deal. We seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time obsessing over signing Grujic who did not sign for us anyway.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Crayfish wrote:Still not clear why we didn't get Tammy Abraham in when Chelsea wanted him to go to a premier league club and presumably the player would have preferred that too. Maybe we simply did not work hard enough on the deal. We seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time obsessing over signing Grujic who did not sign for us anyway.

They probably seen him struggle at Swansea and didn't want him to go to another struggling club.

If he came how many goals would he have got 4/5/6 if lucky. His value will probably increase more banging them in at championship level than struggling again in the prem.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:04 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Crayfish wrote:Still not clear why we didn't get Tammy Abraham in when Chelsea wanted him to go to a premier league club and presumably the player would have preferred that too. Maybe we simply did not work hard enough on the deal. We seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time obsessing over signing Grujic who did not sign for us anyway.

They probably seen him struggle at Swansea and didn't want him to go to another struggling club.

If he came how many goals would he have got 4/5/6 if lucky. His value will probably increase more banging them in at championship level than struggling again in the prem.

He’s a decent player and whilst I don’t think he’s going to make it at Chelsea, I also don’t think he’d suit our style of play.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:07 pm

Warnock wasting millions on Smithies and Cunnigham two players we didn't need didn't help the situation.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:16 pm

to me this is something which IS very rotten at the club. we know in clubs managers don't negotiate or even chose the players, they give a list of names to the guys upstairs to go sign, its obvious Warnock gave a list of names. now a few things stood out for me,

1 - Grujic, the whole saga behind him to me smells of inexperience upstairs, does anyone believe Warnock would of wasted all that time for 1 player, leaving all his other targets go. I don't, I believe who ever was dealing with the transfers just focused on one player and it backfired and shows the lack of experience.

Lamar(spelling?) - the whole saga for this one, is worrying, Warnock came out and said, we bid £4m for the lad, and then Bournemouth went and signed him for £25m. this tells me again the guys doing the transfer dealings at the club really have no knowledge when it comes to players, the fact we offered so low....normally these guys speak to the opposition clubs and they give an idea of the fee, Cardiff obviously didn't do this. which then leads to our other signings. £3.5m for a defender in the championship, sounds about right. Bristol city sold their star defenders Aden Flint to Boro for £5m, and Joe Bryan to Fulham for £6m. we came in and offered £10m for bobby reid. now I know forward players are valued at a higher rate than defenders, but it seems to me the club rushed in with a bid higher than Bristol city were willing to accept at and snapped our hands off......he might be worth the money, but It comes across as a rash amount of money.,,,,,we did the same last year for gary madine, Warnock said hes my number one target, and the club threw £6m at the deal.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:24 pm

bluebird04 wrote:to me this is something which IS very rotten at the club. we know in clubs managers don't negotiate or even chose the players, they give a list of names to the guys upstairs to go sign, its obvious Warnock gave a list of names. now a few things stood out for me,

1 - Grujic, the whole saga behind him to me smells of inexperience upstairs, does anyone believe Warnock would of wasted all that time for 1 player, leaving all his other targets go. I don't, I believe who ever was dealing with the transfers just focused on one player and it backfired and shows the lack of experience.

Lamar(spelling?) - the whole saga for this one, is worrying, Warnock came out and said, we bid £4m for the lad, and then Bournemouth went and signed him for £25m. this tells me again the guys doing the transfer dealings at the club really have no knowledge when it comes to players, the fact we offered so low....normally these guys speak to the opposition clubs and they give an idea of the fee, Cardiff obviously didn't do this. which then leads to our other signings. £3.5m for a defender in the championship, sounds about right. Bristol city sold their star defenders Aden Flint to Boro for £5m, and Joe Bryan to Fulham for £6m. we came in and offered £10m for bobby reid. now I know forward players are valued at a higher rate than defenders, but it seems to me the club rushed in with a bid higher than Bristol city were willing to accept at and snapped our hands off......he might be worth the money, but It comes across as a rash amount of money.,,,,,we did the same last year for gary madine, Warnock said hes my number one target, and the club threw £6m at the deal.

Hhmmm I'm not sure, thought Warnock was more hands on, seemed to be speaking with Grujic from his interviews.

I would say everything over the summer was typical Warnock style.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:29 pm

phildavies wrote:Warnock wasting millions on Smithies and Cunnigham two players we didn't need didn't help the situation.

We will certainly need Smithies when Etheridge goes off to play in the Asian Cup.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:32 pm

bluebird04 wrote:to me this is something which IS very rotten at the club. we know in clubs managers don't negotiate or even chose the players, they give a list of names to the guys upstairs to go sign, its obvious Warnock gave a list of names. now a few things stood out for me,

Bit confused are we offering too little money or too much :?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:33 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
phildavies wrote:Warnock wasting millions on Smithies and Cunnigham two players we didn't need didn't help the situation.

We will certainly need Smithies when Etheridge goes off to play in the Asian Cup.

I did agree with that at the time and still don't think it was a bad signing but I assumed we had more to spend or the full budget would be used.

Looking now I do wonder if we could have looked at it come January with a loan or even trusted Murphy for the couple of league games. I'm sure someone said it's only a few games.

Looking now I wondered if trying to get a holding midfielder should have been a priority ahead of Smithies, Cunningham, Reid and even Murphy.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Not good enough. It was sheer complacency on Warnocks part that we didn't get a striker in

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:14 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

No we wont we had Murphy anyway who is more than good enough to cover for is likely only going to be 2 games max. Plus we could have just signed someone on a free transfer to be second/third choice wasting millions was stupid we were never going to find someone better than Etheridge.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:15 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it's high wage demands that stopped some of the deals happening.
Transfer fee is one thing, but too high wages and you piss off all the guys currently there.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Nora0343 wrote:Not good enough. It was sheer complacency on Warnocks part that we didn't get a striker in

How do you know that? After all he was working within within tight financial restraint! Chances are we wouldn't or couldn't pay the wages or agents or the inflated prices Why must it be NW fault? :old:

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:52 pm

I wrote (along with two or three others) that Neil Warnock had said he still had £10 m he could have spent in the summer. But others on here said that was wrong and there was no more money available. ;)
Obviously the summer budget was limited but realistic. So it seems those players criticising Tan for providing no more funds were wrong - and should be eating humble pie. Will they?? :roll:
:bluebird:
On a separate point it's got to be Worth a couple of quid on City tomorrow ....a win is due. And they say the darkest hour is just before the dawn :thumbup: come on City!

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Either we didn't offer enough money, they had a better offer from another club, or a similar offer from another club they preferred. Stop thinking FFS :banghead:

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:11 pm

Does make you wonder when you see Gayle going to West Brom and there was no clubs that seemed to be in for Jay Rodriguez etc why we didn't get any of these in?

Only way I can see it as Warnock had money to buy players and then had certain amount for loan and seemed to gamble with his loan signing being a striker.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:13 pm

we paid 2 mill for Madine thats how much he would cost if it hadnt worked.

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:00 am

Because they are money grabbing bas...... Not cardiff but players and agents who think they are the dogs boll......

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:51 am

I find it a bit hard that there was no better strikers out there than what we currently have,dont want to run any down but xahore apart from a decent spell few seasons back,aint really up to it,yes i understand we had a budget but its costing us at the moment,with a decent striker,i would say we would have had at least 3 wins now

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:47 pm

people talk as if its a computer game or dream team where you pay the value and get the player..