Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Madness? '

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:10 pm

' Madness? '

Having read the quotes today re why we didn’t bring in a new striker in the summer and the fact that we need 2/3 quality players I believe that most fans will acknowledge that spending 24m on promotion is unlikely to keep you in the Premiership. Mostvwould accept that we needed a new striker, some extra quality & some players with Premiership experience.

Is it a case that City for whatever reason (presumably debt) tried to survive in the Premiership on an unrealistic budget but are now prepared to spend the money in January? Reading between the lines it appears that the club will back NW in the January window but surely isn’t it a case of a 2little 2late? Most of the decent strikers were snapped up in the summer & come the January window players carry a higher fee because clubs know that there is desperation out there.

Why not invest in quality in the summer window & give it a whole season to give it a go rather than doing things on a minimal budget with little hope of competing? Come January if we are cut loose from the bottom pack then there is no way back. Just hoping that we can pick up some points to keep us in the hunt for survival. The Burnley performance shows that we can compete with the bottom half teams but just frustrating to think that was a game we should never have lost and probably wouldn’t have if we had invested in the summer.

Perhaps there are a few or even many who think that we have spent enough and are happy to return to the Championship. In my eyes you fight so hard to reach the promised land why not give it a proper go? Survive the first season & it’s bingo! Strengthen year in year out with huge cash rewards and debts are a thing of the past. It’s a fine balancing act.

Re: Madness?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Your assuming Warnock spent all his budget.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:54 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Your assuming Warnock spent all his budget.

No, not at all. Was at a Q & A session with NW where he said he had a further 10m to spend. Suppose you could question the quality of the signings or the fact why all of the supposed budget wasn’t spent. If it was 34m I would suggest that a striker was a priority.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:00 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:

No, not at all. Was at a Q & A session with NW where he said he had a further 10m to spend. Suppose you could question the quality of the signings or the fact why all of the supposed budget wasn’t spent. If it was 34m I would suggest that a striker was a priority.

I think Warnock couldn't get the striker he wanted and he wasn't prepared to waste 10 million on a striker for the sake of it. That 10 million will hopefully be spent on a better quality striker in January to what was available in the summer window. It's a gamble, but if Warnock panic bought, we could have quite easily had another Cornelius and then been left with nothing to strengthen us further this January.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:25 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

I think Warnock couldn't get the striker he wanted and he wasn't prepared to waste 10 million on a striker for the sake of it. That 10 million will hopefully be spent on a better quality striker in January to what was available in the summer window. It's a gamble, but if Warnock panic bought, we could have quite easily had another Cornelius and then been left with nothing to strengthen us further this January.

We have in Madine

Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:58 pm

a striker.?
any old striker.?
we don't know how many NW had on his list or how many he enquired about..how many clubs didn't want to sell the player we enquired about or how many clubs valuation was miles away from ours.
then there are the players..and their advisors, wages,signing on fees and numerous different clauses might be stumbling blocks...then there is us..take off the blue tinted glasses and who wants to risk going to a club that everyone and their cat thinks is nailed on for relegation, and whose strikers get little or no service.?

which leaves us in this catch 22 situation where you have to get around the stumbling blocks by paying more than the player is worth in wages etc to get a striker that maybe was not very high on your most wanted list to start with or leave it until January when certain players/clubs outlooks might have changed..

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:54 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

Last thing we want us a panic buy but for me it was one of the priority positions. If we needed to spend more then I personally think we should have ahead of the other signings. Personally I think having the entire summer to get someone in he should have.

I don't see there being much of a bargain around come. January time.

I personally think it was a very poor transfer window and Warnock on that front is out of his depth with transfers at this level.

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:55 am

2blue2handle wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

Last thing we want us a panic buy but for me it was one of the priority positions. If we needed to spend more then I personally think we should have ahead of the other signings. Personally I think having the entire summer to get someone in he should have.

I don't see there being much of a bargain around come. January time.

I personally think it was a very poor transfer window and Warnock on that front is out of his depth with transfers at this level.

It was a poor transfer window by most standards but was the problem NW? By that I mean his reputation and style of play putting players off? We've got forwards but they dont seem to fit into the NW way which was ok in championship but is falling short in premiership. :old:

Re: ' Madness? '

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:37 am

I'm really not sure, NW has said he was waiting an age for Grujic and Abraham (not sure why). But then he is saying he didn't want to upset the teams work ethic and how it has to be the right person etc.

I think the signings were a bit lazy pick a few championship player he seen and liked. Arter hardly needed a scout to look out for. Casamara is the only one who isn't one that springs to mind as a natural warnock signing so maybe some scouting done on him.

Id have thought some players especially strikers would be put off by out style or lack of it and service to the strikers. If we paid for Mitrovic (not that he would have come) would we be any better off? I don't really think so, maybe he'd have finishd one of them at Newcastle.

We missed out on getting in to many positions. For me at least if we got a holding midfielder ie an upgrade on Gunner /Grujic we could have tried something different but we are just to light in midfield and the defence doesn't seem up to it. Maybe to much loyalty.

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:55 am

2blue2handle wrote:I'm really not sure, NW has said he was waiting an age for Grujic and Abraham (not sure why). But then he is saying he didn't want to upset the teams work ethic and how it has to be the right person etc.

I think the signings were a bit lazy pick a few championship player he seen and liked. Arter hardly needed a scout to look out for. Casamara is the only one who isn't one that springs to mind as a natural warnock signing so maybe some scouting done on him.

Id have thought some players especially strikers would be put off by out style or lack of it and service to the strikers. If we paid for Mitrovic (not that he would have come) would we be any better off? I don't really think so, maybe he'd have finishd one of them at Newcastle.

We missed out on getting in to many positions. For me at least if we got a holding midfielder ie an upgrade on Gunner /Grujic we could have tried something different but we are just to light in midfield and the defence doesn't seem up to it. Maybe to much loyalty.

Regarding forwards your right any striker would struggle in our setup and that's why think we did not get one? And will say we have a very good championship side for next season because it will be a major shock if we survived this season. :old:

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:45 am

Walinoz wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

We have in Madine

He's nowhere near as good as Cornelius

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:24 am

I don't understand how you can say reading between the lines we will spend in January.

Managers always talk and Warnock is the best and saying what you want to hear. That's not a criticism.

I actually don't want us to invest with over inflated fees I. January. Unless we spend 50 million on 3 or 4 players it won't make a difference. Also we may already be a drift by then. Keep the money till next year.