Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Question for all the Moaners

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:53 pm

Serious question for the whingers mostly being mainly newbies or Trolls - How much extra spent in the Summer in your opinion would have been a sensible amount and shown ambition by the club - 20, 30, 50, 70 million?

Lets for argument sake say an extra £70 Million which would then place us level with Fulham so a total £100 Million spent.

Now lets look at the results so far -

Bournemouth 2 - Cardiff 0
Fulham 0 - Palace 2

Cardiff 0 - Newcastle 0
Spurs 3 - Fulham 1

Huddersfield 0 - Cardiff 0
Fulham 4 - Burnley 2

Cardiff City 2 - Arsenal 3
Brighton 2 - Fulham 2

Chelsea 4 - Cardiff 1
Man City 3 - Fulham 0

Cardiff 0 - Man City 5
Fulham 1 - Watford 1

Cardiff 1 - Burnley 2
Everton 3 - Fulham 0

Spurs 1 - Cardiff 0
Fulham 1 - Arsenal 5

OK Fulham have had that 1 win over us so £70 Million eight games in as bought them 3 extra points.

Looking at the results so far i think it is fair to say we are pretty much on par with our results against both Arsenal and Spurs being much more favourable.

Both City and Fulham were smashed by Man City and Fulham still have Chelsea to play.

So what would you have preferred?

Cardiff - £70 Million wiped of debt (for the whingers who probably wouldn't know, this was the amount cleared of our debt recently)

Fulham - An extra £70 Million spent on top of Cardiff's 30 Mill which sees them very much on par results wise but granted an extra 3 point after beating Burnley.

I Know what a real fan's answer would be

Seriously though, lets just put things in perspective, as proven above throwing money at it, guarantees absolutely nothing so can all the usual cry babies please change the record, :sleepy2:

Re: Question for all the Moaners

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:46 pm

I said this on another post the other day!

Apart from the Man City game we have been pretty competitive! With better finishing we could’ve been a few points better off!

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:56 pm

You make a good point with all those stats but focusing on other clubs is not for me. 20/30 million more for us. The money we spent was wasted even if it was so small compared to our rivals. As for Fulham that's their problem.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:22 pm

BlueVanman wrote:Serious question for the whingers mostly being mainly newbies or Trolls - How much extra spent in the Summer in your opinion would have been a sensible amount and shown ambition by the club - 20, 30, 50, 70 million?

Lets for argument sake say an extra £70 Million which would then place us level with Fulham so a total £100 Million spent.

Fulham 0 - Palace 2

Cardiff 0 - Newcastle 0
Spurs 3 - Fulham 1

Fulham 4 - Burnley 2

Brighton 2 - Fulham 2

Chelsea 4 - Cardiff 1
Man City 3 - Fulham 0

Cardiff 0 - Man City 5
Fulham 1 - Watford 1

Cardiff 1 - Burnley 2
Everton 3 - Fulham 0

Spurs 1 - Cardiff 0
Fulham 1 - Arsenal 5

OK Fulham have had that 1 win over us so £70 Million eight games in as bought them 3 extra points.

Looking at the results so far i think it is fair to say we are pretty much on par with our results against both Arsenal and Spurs being much more favourable.

Both City and Fulham were smashed by Man City and Fulham still have Chelsea to play.

Cardiff - £70 Million wiped of debt (for the whingers who probably wouldn't know, this was the amount cleared of our debt recently)

Fulham - An extra £70 Million spent on top of Cardiff's 30 Mill which sees them very much on par results wise but granted an extra 3 point after beating Burnley.

Seriously though, lets just put things in perspective, as proven above throwing money at it, guarantees absolutely nothing so can all the usual cry babies please change the record, :sleepy2:

It's not just the amount though, it's how you spend it and there is a myriad ways you can build a squad. So this is comparing chalk and cheese.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:32 pm

If we had that kind of money no doubt about it we would have had to replace Warnock.

Personally as we kept faith with Warnock I wouldn't have given him to much more. Spending isn't his strong point.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:44 pm

City Slicker wrote:
BlueVanman wrote:Serious question for the whingers mostly being mainly newbies or Trolls - How much extra spent in the Summer in your opinion would have been a sensible amount and shown ambition by the club - 20, 30, 50, 70 million?

Fulham 0 - Palace 2

Cardiff 0 - Newcastle 0
Spurs 3 - Fulham 1

Fulham 4 - Burnley 2

Brighton 2 - Fulham 2

Chelsea 4 - Cardiff 1
Man City 3 - Fulham 0

Cardiff 0 - Man City 5
Fulham 1 - Watford 1

Cardiff 1 - Burnley 2
Everton 3 - Fulham 0

Spurs 1 - Cardiff 0
Fulham 1 - Arsenal 5

It's not just the amount though, it's how you spend it and there is a myriad ways you can build a squad. So this is comparing chalk and cheese.

I understand that mate. My point was more that things are not as bad as some are making out, especially those calling for Warnock head and the club having no ambition.

I appreciate we took a gamble with some summer signings but a gamble is exactly that. We may well have been 8 games in with the likes of Murphy and Reid banging in goals for fun. Who new Lang would have been injured so soon, last season Lang, Hoillet and Zahore all started the season on fire and who's to say whether that could not have been the case again this season.

I for one was not too disappointed with what we had going into the Prem,unfortunately it has not quite worked out but my point is neither have the hopes of other sides in and around us all of who have spend far more than us.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:07 pm

BlueVanman wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

Fulham 0 - Palace 2

Cardiff 0 - Newcastle 0
Spurs 3 - Fulham 1

Fulham 4 - Burnley 2

Brighton 2 - Fulham 2

Chelsea 4 - Cardiff 1
Man City 3 - Fulham 0

Cardiff 0 - Man City 5
Fulham 1 - Watford 1

Cardiff 1 - Burnley 2
Everton 3 - Fulham 0

Spurs 1 - Cardiff 0
Fulham 1 - Arsenal 5

I understand that mate. My point was more that things are not as bad as some are making out, especially those calling for Warnock head and the club having no ambition.

I appreciate we took a gamble with some summer signings but a gamble is exactly that. We may well have been 8 games in with the likes of Murphy and Reid banging in goals for fun. Who new Lang would have been injured so soon, last season Lang, Hoillet and Zahore all started the season on fire and who's to say whether that could not have been the case again this season.

I for one was not too disappointed with what we had going into the Prem,unfortunately it has not quite worked out but my point is neither have the hopes of other sides in and around us all of who have spend far more than us.

We were left severely under equiped for survival. Good championship players can jump up a league but not a whole team of them. Clubs who have spent more will probably be questioning their managers performance so why shouldn't we.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:17 pm

Fulham isn't the best comparison really? They may have spent 100m but a lot of that was on same players used in championship and its still showing, pundits highlight their defence as major weakness same as in championship, could be they've wasted 60m+ and if they go down who will be left of that 60m ? Lots clubs gambling on success at least we are doing it in cheaper way so can try again without breaking bank like some . :old:

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Kingyccfc wrote:
BlueVanman wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

Fulham 0 - Palace 2

Cardiff 0 - Newcastle 0
Spurs 3 - Fulham 1

Fulham 4 - Burnley 2

Brighton 2 - Fulham 2

Chelsea 4 - Cardiff 1
Man City 3 - Fulham 0

Cardiff 0 - Man City 5
Fulham 1 - Watford 1

Cardiff 1 - Burnley 2
Everton 3 - Fulham 0

Spurs 1 - Cardiff 0
Fulham 1 - Arsenal 5

We were left severely under equiped for survival. Good championship players can jump up a league but not a whole team of them. Clubs who have spent more will probably be questioning their managers performance so why shouldn't we.

There are countless reasons actually and if you knew anything at all about what Warnock had done for Both fans and club you would not even be asking the question.

Over the last 7/8 years the club has sunk to its absolute lowest point regarding the fans connection to CCFC and constantly over that period the word 'Toxic' and similar have regulary been used. What Warnock has achieved both on and of the field is nothing short of miraculous and no other manager has achieved anything even close. I for one will be showing far more loyalty especially as when highlighted above we are for from out of the race.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 pm

50 million on top of what we already spend and give it a real go.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:15 pm

Best player we got didn’t cost anything. Why didn’t we sign more of them? Why did we sign a left back when we needed a right back? Why sign Reid if we don’t intend to use him? We could ask questions like this all day long.
But all that was left behind on deadline day, but people are in their right to both ask questions and be critical.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:26 pm

You are actually right mate, it just annoys the hell out of me, all the negativity and what i feel is a total lack of respect and appreciation of what's been achieved. I know a similar thing happened on the Eddie Roper Facebook page to which he banned most of the negative newbies.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:32 pm

Firstly I will point out I am not in the Warnock out camp, but, I don’t believe he wasn’t given resources, there was more money available he didn’t use it as he dithered over a striker. He spent a large portion of his budget on Reid and doesn’t play him. He insists on sticking with hoilett and Bamba both of whom have been out of sorts. He genuinely believed his squad was good enough and it isn’t. Gunnarrson uses us as a fitness camp for international duty, Connolly was rewarded for doing nothing and Warnock oversaw all the above. He should rightly face some criticism but the plus point is, IF we go down we are in a great position financially and he is the right man to get us back up, but it won’t be easy. IF he can nick a few points and keep us in the race for survival hopefully he will buy what we need and give us some depth to he squad.

Changing the manager now is not the right thing to do, but I am sick of being told to enjoy it, it’s not enjoyable but I support the team whatever, I shouldn’t have to enjoy getting beat because some happy clapper tells me to.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:47 pm

I honestly think that between agent fees, player wages and transfer fees we were priced out of many targets NW went for, the last few years transfer fees have increased stupidly, for example, there was no way Pogba was worth £89m when sold to Utd, fees have shot up ridiculously and the bigger the club the more they have to pay.....ultimately having a knock on effect to the lesser clubs. Also the league increases the fee as well, for example a player worth £5m you may get at a bargain £4m in the Championship but would have to pay £8-10m in the Premier League....

I think NW did what he could with an inflated market and available funds, yes we can question why certain players were brought in and why certain players weren’t all day long but the fact of the matter is that NW can only do what he can financially. Tan has too much input on transfers as his is the final decision, which on a business level makes perfect sense but not on a footballing level and after last time around is perfectly understandable.

It’s not a case of how much extra would be right, it’s more a case of who

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:39 am

Josh Murphy apart there must be some questions about the money we did spend. Reid was a comparative failure at Bristol City until they played him as an out and out froward rather than a midfielder/winger. He can only really play as a forwards in a 4-2-2 alongside a centre forward. When he did for Bristol City he was brilliant. Warnock does not play 4-2-2 so he is wasted. Smithies may be a good keeper but a good no two keeper is going to make no difference to our season. And as someone else pointed out why sign a good left back when we already have one and need a good right back.

I love Warnock but there must be question marks about him when it comes to spending money paticularly when out two biggest signings last season were Tomlin and Madine.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:52 am

Crayfish wrote:Josh Murphy apart there must be some questions about the money we did spend. Reid was a comparative failure at Bristol City until they played him as an out and out froward rather than a midfielder/winger. He can only really play as a forwards in a 4-2-2 alongside a centre forward. When he did for Bristol City he was brilliant. Warnock does not play 4-2-2 so he is wasted. Smithies may be a good keeper but a good no two keeper is going to make no difference to our season. And as someone else pointed out why sign a good left back when we already have one and need a good right back.

I love Warnock but there must be question marks about him when it comes to spending money paticularly when out two biggest signings last season were Tomlin and Madine.

Maybe he had to go what he could get...? ;)

One valid reason I was told City struggled to get players in was pure greed when it came to contracts from several of those they approached and the very first question from players who did sign wasn't "How much you going to pay me?"

We simply have to accept that Cardiff City are seen as a club who will likely struggle this season and players (and their agents) will use that as a bargaining tool to see what they can get out the club rather than what they can put in (in footballing terms)

Money is awash in football but only for the established few...and Wolverhampton Wanderers, of course! :|

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:47 pm

Crayfish wrote:Josh Murphy apart there must be some questions about the money we did spend. Reid was a comparative failure at Bristol City until they played him as an out and out froward rather than a midfielder/winger. He can only really play as a forwards in a 4-2-2 alongside a centre forward. When he did for Bristol City he was brilliant. Warnock does not play 4-2-2 so he is wasted. Smithies may be a good keeper but a good no two keeper is going to make no difference to our season. And as someone else pointed out why sign a good left back when we already have one and need a good right back.

Personally I think playing a 4-2-2 formation would be a disaster...

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:02 pm

BlueVanman wrote:
I understand that mate. My point was more that things are not as bad as some are making out.

Well we're bottom of the division with 2 points out of a possible 24, already playing catchup on the teams above us, without a win, and only 4 goals scored to show for our efforts.

How much worse could it be ?

Other teams over previous seasons have stayed in the Premier League after promotion without spending masses of money.

Getting to the Premier league is difficult. When there, the club should be making more of an effort to remain.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:08 pm

Long term fans all fully understood the terms of going back blue, I cannot believe all the other extra plusses which also came along with that.

Everyone moaned then, everyone moans now. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:56 pm

Long term fans all fully understood the terms of going back blue, I cannot believe all the other extra bonuses which have also came along with that.

Everyone moaned then, everyone moans now. You can't have your cake and eat it.

I for one except where we are, where we pro ably will be come the end of the season and will be here next season regardless.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:40 pm

We struggled in the second half when we went down to 10 men against Spurs - you want us to play with 9 men each game? :lol

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:52 pm

T1JMO wrote:

Personally I think playing a 4-2-2 formation would be a disaster...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:04 pm

However much another striker, right back and center midfielder wpuld have cost. Another 30m prehaps I think would have done this squad a world of good. But it is what it is.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:56 pm

nubbsy wrote:However much another striker, right back and center midfielder wpuld have cost. Another 30m prehaps I think would have done this squad a world of good. But it is what it is.

Well we can't go back to the summer that's for sure.

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:04 am

This is all futile.

Have a look at this a few years down the line then we can talk. Either way, we'll be solid. But Fulham will either be fooked in League One or raking it in the Premier League. BUT they've got an easy £25m+ asset in Mitrovic and £30m+ in Serri regardless of their position. We don't have that. Our most valuable assets aren't even ours, Arter & Camarasa.

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:57 pm

I've not been moaning and this is what we should have expected, we are a few players short, but one player that would have scored some goals and offered a threat is Mitrovic.

I know he hasn't been amazing at Fulham and he wouldn't have come to us anyway, but a player of that quality would have added value and probably points over a season.

So to improve we would have needed a substantial amount IMO.

We have a better run of games now to see exactly where we are, January is a terrible time to0 try and buy the right players, as the ones we really need won't be available and the ones that are will cost too much.

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Bluebina wrote:I've not been moaning and this is what we should have expected, we are a few players short, but one player that would have scored some goals and offered a threat is Mitrovic.

I know he hasn't been amazing at Fulham and he wouldn't have come to us anyway, but a player of that quality would have added value and probably points over a season.

So to improve we would have needed a substantial amount IMO.

We have a better run of games now to see exactly where we are, January is a terrible time to0 try and buy the right players, as the ones we really need won't be available and the ones that are will cost too much.

But this was part of the point in posting my original post.

Fulham have Mitrovic and play football far more suited to him than what Cardiff could provide and where has it got them to date, an additional 3 points. :thumbright: