Cardiff City Forum

Switch to full style

A forum for all things Cardiff City
Post a reply

CARD GATE: EVEN THE REFEREES CANNOT AGREE...

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Two former Premier League referees give verdicts on Joe Ralls red card for Cardiff City against Tottenham
By Dominic Booth

Monday 8th October 2018

Mike Halsey and Dermot Gallagher have given their opinions on the Cardiff City star's sending off against Tottenham Hotspur

Former Premier League referees Mark Halsey and Dermot Gallagher have given their verdicts on Joe Ralls' red card for Cardiff City and Tottenham Hotspur.

Ralls was sent off by Mike Dean in the 59th minute of Cardiff's 1-0 defeat to Spurs at Wembley.

His late lunge on Lucas Moura was deemed a red card offence, prompting a huge backlash with Neil Warnock leading the Bluebirds' protests. Cardiff have since appealed the decision.

And it seems even former top flight officials cannot agree on what would have been the right call.

"I can't see that the referee has any other option. If you watch Joe Ralls the ball is so far away from him. He never once looks at the ball," said Gallagher, who also commented on the involvement of Harry Kane and several Spurs players in the resulting melee.

"Harry Kane did get a yellow card. The thing is, in that situation the referee looks at the perpetrator and the guy who comes from distance. The perpetrator is Ralls and the guy who comes from a distance is Harry Kane," added Gallagher.

"He's identified the original foul and dealt with it, and the person who comes from a distance. You go to protect your players."

Halsey, on the other hand, said Dean should have given a yellow card while explaining the laws.

Speaking to the Sun , he said: “People called it cynical yet that word does not actually appear in the laws of the game.

“Referee Mike Dean had two things to consider: ‘Was it a reckless challenge from Ralls on Tottenham’s Lucas Moura with excessive force, endangering a player’s safety with brutality which would result in a red card?'”

"Or was it a reckless challenge when a player acts with disregard to the danger to – or consequences for an an opponent, which is a caution.

“Dean decided it was the first option and sent off the Cardiff midfielder. But I would have given him a yellow card because I felt it wasn’t a challenge with excessive force.”
Attachments
Ralls.jpg
Ralls.jpg (64.8 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
Kane.jpg
Kane.jpg (56.02 KiB) Viewed 2809 times

Re: CARD GATE: EVEN THE REFEREES CANNOT AGREE...

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:05 pm

I’d say it would be the first case in the modern game.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:10 pm

going on Dermots the ball is so far away from him,he never once looks at the ball excuse..if that's the criteria Whitts should have had about 50 red cards and Fredricks a couple for rugby tackles around the waist on last years run in...

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:28 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:I’d say it would be the first case in the modern game.

the rules are pretty clear..been explained by Halsey and been posted on here..
he didnt once look at the ball..? the ball is so far away..? what rule book are these in.?

i hope the ref has these INCREDIBLE remarks in his report..

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:21 pm

Halsey is independent Gallagher is not, is he not the guy in charge of referees,is he going to say any different,Gallagher is speaking a load of crap, typical asking two refs and one in charge of the referees :thumbup:

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:44 pm

I think if the ball was closer to the spurs player it would have been a yellow. But it was 10 yards away from them when he brought him down. Can see why some people think it’s harsh but can see why it was a red as well.

Was a pretty stupid tackle by Ralls either way. He could have just pulled his shirt for the foul. Can’t see it being overturned. Just got to learn from it and move on I think.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:50 pm

I can't see any point whatever in bothering about it. An appeal will get him a three match ban if it's not upheld so why bother ?
It didn't effect the result and even if it had that wouldn't change. There's no one more partisan than me about the club, but I couldn't honestly say that the referee was even close to being wrong.
Doesn't matter though,as I say . It's happened and it's happened !

It's all a bit like saying that we really should have given Watford their £30million for Troy Deaney with hindsight or regretting the fees we somewhat wasted on two players I shan't name.

Maybe you think we shouldn't start from here, but we're stuck with it. I say don't look back cause we're not going that way !

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:01 pm

dogfound wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:I’d say it would be the first case in the modern game.

he didnt once look at the ball..? the ball is so far away..? what rule book are these in.?

So you can make a challenge on a player when the ball is 20ft away? 30ft?

Imo it could have gone either way in the modern game, but it was a stupid f*cking challenge. Let's stop whingeing about it.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:06 pm

nubbsy wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Imo it could have gone either way in the modern game, but it was a stupid f*cking challenge. Let's stop winging about it.

its hardly whinging..its a topic that has been talked about across the media..by pundits..refs and fans of other clubs..
be strange to not then be talking about it on here.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:58 pm

dogfound wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Imo it could have gone either way in the modern game, but it was a stupid f*cking challenge. Let's stop winging about it.

its hardly whinging..its a topic that has been talked about across the media..by pundits..refs and fans of other clubs..
be strange to not then be talking about it on here.

Dunno..... All these people talk a lot of nonsense all the time , so there's no actual need to join in. I stated my opinion above and there's certainly no point or outcome from debating it but, as you say, or at least imply, we all sometimes chat about stuff because we find it interesting or entertaining to do so there's certainly no harm in doing so .

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:39 am

dogfound wrote:

He’s taken the guy out of the game, knee high, nowhere near the ball and endangering the players safety.
I’ll be very surprised if the red card is overturned.

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:34 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

He’s taken the guy out of the game, knee high, nowhere near the ball and endangering the players safety.
I’ll be very surprised if the red card is overturned.

No idea why we are bothering - for me it was a red all day long.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:15 am

Ralls should have grabbed his shirt not taken him out by ploughing through him. His actions gave the referee a decision to make rather than having a decision made for him with a standard shirt grab.

Poor from Ralls, we got 3 games to try something new and maybe get a result.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:07 am

Mr Potato wrote:Ralls should have grabbed his shirt not taken him out by ploughing through him. His actions gave the referee a decision to make rather than having a decision made for him with a standard shirt grab.

Poor from Ralls, we got 3 games to try something new and maybe get a result.

Ploughing through him? Watch it again. :banghead:
Post a reply