Switch to full style

A forum for all things Cardiff City
Post a reply

" Exactly where Wales' exciting youngsters stand "

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:12 am

Exactly where Wales' exciting youngsters stand under Ryan Giggs

By Ian Mitchelmore

Tuesday 9th October 2018

Wales' young guns have enjoyed contrasting fortunes ahead of the second international break of the 2018/19 season.

The Red Wall were left in awe as several youngsters showcased their talents as Wales kick-started their inaugural Nations League campaign with a bang by beating Republic of Ireland 4-1 in a stylish display at Cardiff City Stadium last month.

And ahead of the second encounter against Martin O'Neill's side along with the glamour friendly with Spain at Principality Stadium, Giggs has delivered his verdict on how his young stars have fared at club level so far this season.

Here's exactly what he's had to say about four of his key youngsters.

Ben Woodburn - Sheffield United (on loan from Liverpool)

Appearances: 7; Goals: 0

Woodburn has featured just seven times for the Blades since joining Chris Wilder's men on a season-long loan deal from Liverpool.

And of those seven appearances, he has completed the full 90 minutes just once while he has not played in Sheffield United's last four matches.

"I've got no concerns regarding Ben of his quality," said Giggs.

"I've seen it in training in the last camp. He's just not getting regular game-time at the moment.

"Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't out on loan. But also this could be a good thing.

"When you go through difficult times, which he is at the moment.

"When you come through it sometimes you are a better player and a better person. The quality is definitely there and it's up to Ben to make the most of that. It's only him that can do that.

"If I can help him along the way then great, but young players go through highs and lows and that just comes with the territory."

David Brooks - Bournemouth

Appearances: 8; Goals: 2

The 20-year-old is loving life in the Premier League having joined the Cherries from Sheffield United in the summer.

And Brooks comes into the international break having scored in back-to-back matches against Crystal Palace and Watford, with Eddie Howe's men winning both of those outings.

"Brooksy is like Ben, they're both talented players, exciting and I enjoy coaching them and watching them in training," added Giggs.

"They do things out of the ordinary. I went to see Brooksy in Bournemouth's first game against Cardiff.

"He'd had a good pre-season and it's like I always say, when you get your chance you've got to take it.

"He's done that and it's great to see because he's a great lad. We have got those sort of players who are talented and it's great for me as a coach to have that.

"Brooksy could talk to Ben Woodburn, he could have been in that situation a year ago and you can bounce off each other.

"Ben can see what Brooksy's doing and may be speak to him to get back where he was at."

Harry Wilson - Derby County (on loan from Liverpool)

Appearances: 9; Goals: 2

Wilson's progress with the Rams briefly stuttered due to an injury, but he returned in devastating style, scoring in back-to-back games for Frank Lampard's side.

His first came in a 3-1 win over Brentford at Pride Park while his second made him the talk of football as his wonder free-kick helped knock Manchester United out of this season's Carabao Cup.

Harry Wilson celebrates scoring against Manchester United
And Giggs admits he's delighted to see Wilson - as well as many other youngsters - impressing at club level.

"Not so (impressed) with Harry Wilson after scoring that goal!" said Giggs following Wilson's stunner against his former club.

"It’s great when the players are doing well. You saw Harry's goal against United."

Ethan Ampadu - Chelsea

First team appearances: 0; PL2 Under-23 appearances: 3

Ampadu is yet to play for Chelsea's first team this season while has made only three appearances for the Under-23 side in Division One of Premier League 2.

But Giggs has no concerns over the 18-year-old's qualities.

"It's hard not to get carried away with Ethan because he I think he can be anything he wants to be," admitted the Wales boss.

Wales' Ethan Ampadu looks on from the bench during Chelsea's 4-1 win over Cardiff City
"But he is only 18 and he's not playing regularly, so you have to take that into account.

"But what a player and character to have - a manager's dream. That's fantastic to see.

"I know that he loves coming away and playing for his country, and that's a massive plus for me."

Ryan Giggs' verdict on the other youngsters

Tyler Roberts has netted three goals in eight appearances in all competitions for Leeds United so far this season while Connor Roberts has continued his remarkable rise at Swansea City under new boss Graham Potter, scoring his first goal for the club against Queens Park Rangers.

And Giggs singled out the duo for praise ahead of the games with Spain and Ireland.

"I’m impressed with Tyler Roberts," he added.

"Connor Roberts has been a revelation the way he's been playing.

"They're all different characters and personalities, but all with the same goal.

"There's a fantastic team spirit within the group. You have the older players, the ones in the middle and the younger players.

"Of course, they're going to go towards their own age group but it does help.

"I saw it with the lads who came through at United. When you come through together you experience the same things."
Attachments
0_wales-mainJPG.jpg
0_wales-mainJPG.jpg (59.98 KiB) Viewed 1261 times

Re: " Exactly where Wales' exciting youngsters stand "

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:43 pm

Hope vinny tan turns up with a cheque book and tries signing some of those spanish guys from that large sqaud of there's. This wales sqaud looks as good if not better sqaud from the last batch we have had andy king ledley ash have lost there pace we have to move on with the youngsters what i do like is the attack mentality as apposed ti2 chris coalman s defensive set up .
Post a reply