Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What is the point in the Welsh side

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:10 am

I might be one of the minority and might sound unpatriotic but what’s the point in the Welsh football side, yes we have some young blood coming through but not many of them will make the grade, David Brooks looks very talented and Ethan Umpooloompa whatever his name is looks a prospect but the rest look shite, Bale is injury prone, Declan John is dreadful, Sam Vokes upfront come on the guys slower than Doris Hare, I just don’t see the point in having the side play at Principality stadium, for me the worst stadium ive ever been to, hate the egg so went for the champs league final and thought it was a dreadful atmosphere.

Giggs was alright back in the day overated IMO, and his legacy tarnished by shagging his brothers wife and this chump is managing the national side - BEHAVE

Re: What is the point in the Welsh side

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:43 am

There is a lot of quality in that team - Woodburn, Brookes, Ampadu, Roberts and Harry Wilson to name a few.

I find your statement quite bizarre though. Bale has played 68 of 101 games since making his international debut - not a bad record.

On top of that Euro 2016 was the best summer of my life and many others too: the Welsh international team gave us that.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:09 am

Wolfpac wrote:I might be one of the minority and might sound unpatriotic but what’s the point in the Welsh football side, yes we have some young blood coming through but not many of them will make the grade, David Brooks looks very talented and Ethan Umpooloompa whatever his name is looks a prospect but the rest look shite, Bale is injury prone, Declan John is dreadful, Sam Vokes upfront come on the guys slower than Doris Hare, I just don’t see the point in having the side play at Principality stadium, for me the worst stadium ive ever been to, hate the egg so went for the champs league final and thought it was a dreadful atmosphere.

Giggs was alright back in the day overated IMO, and his legacy tarnished by shagging his brothers wife and this chump is managing the national side - BEHAVE

Should gone to some of the Wales game there then ! Romanian game atmosphere most intense in my 40yrs watching football Italy germany fantastic atmosphere only in bad days of Welsh football was it crap but it is whenever stadium half full just like ccs is , and not sure why you and others relate to rugby when it's a football crowd ? Guess by your attitude to Welsh team you would like a combined UK only team? :old:

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:15 am

Odd post :lol:

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:18 am

You mean sam vokes who scored against a world class Spain team. Belgium and 2 against cardiff?

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:26 am

Wolfpac wrote:I might be one of the minority and might sound unpatriotic but what’s the point in the Welsh football side, yes we have some young blood coming through but not many of them will make the grade, David Brooks looks very talented and Ethan Umpooloompa whatever his name is looks a prospect but the rest look shite, Bale is injury prone, Declan John is dreadful, Sam Vokes upfront come on the guys slower than Doris Hare, I just don’t see the point in having the side play at Principality stadium, for me the worst stadium ive ever been to, hate the egg so went for the champs league final and thought it was a dreadful atmosphere.

F**k me mate. I thought I was a miserable f****r.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:09 am

pembroke allan wrote:

Should gone to some of the Wales game there then ! Romanian game atmosphere most intense in my 40yrs watching football Italy germany fantastic atmosphere only in bad days of Welsh football was it crap but it is whenever stadium half full just like ccs is , and not sure why you and others relate to rugby when it's a football crowd ? Guess by your attitude to Welsh team you would like a combined UK only team? :old:

As I've said elsewhere, Wales is never going to be able to compete at the level of big footballing countries for purely demographic reasons, but it's a regrettable consequence of this that various great and world class players such as Gareth Bale never get to play at the top international level and big numbers of British football fans ( cause it's true for other two small home nations too) never get represented in the World Cup. Therefore ,and I expect it'll be controversial, but I've always thought a UK team would be better.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:37 pm

What a poor post

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:06 pm

So what would you rather then?? A Team GB???

Think it showed at the Olympics that it’s a bad idea, I for one don’t want to see a permanent Team GB, I’d rather watch Wales as they are. Yes they were poor for the best part of 70mins last night but we can’t base our national team on 70mins against Spain

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:56 pm

To feed the Welsh nationalists' ego

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:04 pm

City Slicker wrote:To feed the Welsh nationalists' ego

bloody hell a post without Vincent Tan getting a mention

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:08 pm

dogfound wrote:
City Slicker wrote:To feed the Welsh nationalists' ego

bloody hell a post without Vincent Tan getting a mention

Yeah, I'm thinking about how I can blame the fucker for Wales being shit so I'll get back to you on that. There again I've got no interest in Wales.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:13 am

Cant see much point in the welsh side either...a GB team is the way forward.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:18 am

BluebirdRyan18 wrote:You mean sam vokes who scored against a world class Spain team. Belgium and 2 against cardiff?

Best goal ever that against Belgium and you cannot be a serious Welsh person if you disagree with that.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:39 am

agree with bluemoon a poor post

to represent your country at any sport is a major achievement whether you win lose or draw . the welsh fa was formed 141 years ago so try telling that to all those people that has represented wales in that time

my lad has represented Wales in 2 different sports and his welsh jerseys and welsh caps are the most important items in my household money can't buy

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:46 am

The welsh football team is the most important team in Wales, its what every young welsh player should aspire to be part of, its a team for the whole of Wales not just for those that follow league teams in the south and massive respect to all those that find ways to get down to Cardiff from the north especially for these mid week games.
I can't understand where you are coming from regarding the players, the world cup may only ever be won by a handful of countries and the premier league will only be won by a handful of clubs, that doesnt mean all the other clubs and countries should give up playing football cos they aint good enough :roll:
Personally I love watching Wales and have been to some amazing places that i never would of gone to if i hadn't started following the national team.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:55 am

streamfeeder wrote:The welsh football team is the most important team in Wales, its what every young welsh player should aspire to be part of, its a team for the whole of Wales not just for those that follow league teams in the south and massive respect to all those that find ways to get down to Cardiff from the north especially for these mid week games.
I can't understand where you are coming from regarding the players, the world cup may only ever be won by a handful of countries and the premier league will only be won by a handful of clubs, that doesnt mean all the other clubs and countries should give up playing football cos they aint good enough :roll:
Personally I love watching Wales and have been to some amazing places that i never would :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: of gone to if i hadn't started following the national team.

:thumbup:

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:15 am

you could say ..whats the point..about anything...
bit strange coming from one of our fans though..ive spent almost half my time as a fan watching us play lower leagues football..and the vast majority of the other half watching 2nd tier...should we just all have said ..whats the point..?

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:29 am

BlueMoon1974 wrote:What a poor post

What, mine ?
Can't see how you can say that. What you mean is that you personally disagree with it, which doesn't make it poor.
In fact the existence of four separate home teams is due to a bit of gerrymandering in the first place so we'd have four votes on early versions of Fifa. It's nonsense though because we are in fact one country and personally I think there are quite enough divisive deceptions inflicted upon the British people already.
If you buy into this divide and rule trick and you're happy to duplicate the number of politicians in each home nation, and pay the costs of that, well that's your affair, but please don't say that my point of view is "poor" without attempting to justify that rather strong statement.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:57 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
BlueMoon1974 wrote:What a poor post

What, mine ?
Can't see how you can say that. What you mean is that you personally disagree with it, which doesn't make it poor.
In fact the existence of four separate home teams is due to a bit of gerrymandering in the first place so we'd have four votes on early versions of Fifa. It's nonsense though because we are in fact one country and personally I think there are quite enough divisive deceptions inflicted upon the British people already.
If you buy into this divide and rule trick and you're happy to duplicate the number of politicians in each home nation, and pay the costs of that, well that's your affair, but please don't say that my point of view is "poor" without attempting to justify that rather strong statement.

I thought I'd never agree with anything you write, but I find that I do on this one.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:58 am

dogfound wrote:

you could say ..whats the point..about anything...
bit strange coming from one of our fans though..ive spent almost half my time as a fan watching us play lower leagues football..and the vast majority of the other half watching 2nd tier...should we just all have said ..whats the point..?

What's it all about, Alfie?

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:10 pm

Cant say I agree. We've had some bad times as a small country side, but some good too. What's the alternative? A GB team? No thanks.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:46 pm

I've followed the Welsh side since the days we shared our national team manager with Northampton FC. Apart from our one moment of glory at the Euros, it has mostly been pretty dire with the exception of one or two glorious failures. I think I have probably witnessed our once in a lifetime success, and doubt if I will ever see us in the latter stages of a big competition again. I think normal service will now be resumed, but we will still get the odd win against the big boys that will at least allow us to dream again.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:20 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:I've followed the Welsh side since the days we shared our national team manager with Northampton FC. Apart from our one moment of glory at the Euros, it has mostly been pretty dire with the exception of one or two glorious failures. I think I have probably witnessed our once in a lifetime success, and doubt if I will ever see us in the latter stages of a big competition again. I think normal service will now be resumed, but we will still get the odd win against the big boys that will at least allow us to dream again.

Steve, you're a stalwart! I salute you!

Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:28 pm

It's not about individuals getting a chance to play in the World Cup, or whatever. We're the third oldest association in the world. That's the point. Whether people like it or not, Wales exists, and the Wales football team represent us. Like England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland represent their countries. That's the football culture in these islands. I'm no Welsh nationalist, but will always support the Wales football team. In fact, that's about as far as my Welshness goes. Most countries, like us, have never won anything. Qualifying from Europe is difficult, too.

A GB team would forever have arguments about different countries being represented, (not enough Scots, etc.), a bit like the West Indies cricket team. It would also deprive loads of players getting a chance to play international football.

Quite enjoyed Thursday, by the way. Great to see such a fantastic side as Spain in real life. Without the Wales football team, 50,000 of us would not have had that chance.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:34 am

Ethan Umpooloompa ???? Our most exciting young player , His name is Ethan A-m-p-a-d-u you tw*t !

Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:49 am

Flyingpostman wrote:

Ethan Umpooloompa ???? Our most exciting young player , His name is Ethan A-m-p-a-d-u you tw*t !

That's a shame; Umpooloompa sounded fantastic :lol:

Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:57 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

As I've said elsewhere, Wales is never going to be able to compete at the level of big footballing countries for purely demographic reasons, but it's a regrettable consequence of this that various great and world class players such as Gareth Bale never get to play at the top international level and big numbers of British football fans ( cause it's true for other two small home nations too) never get represented in the World Cup. Therefore ,and I expect it'll be controversial, but I've always thought a UK team would be better.

Demographic reasons haven’t prevented Croatia, Denmark or Sweden competing at international level, all with populations around 5m.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:12 pm

Jock wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Demographic reasons haven’t prevented Croatia, Denmark or Sweden competing at international level, all with populations around 5m.

but it probably would prevent them if they were a 1/3 rd smaller and had another sport attracting 70k plus attendances..
so many young boys in this country are really decent at both sports and play both for a while but eventually have to choose....they don't all choose football

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:43 am

dogfound wrote:
Jock wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

but it probably would prevent them if they were a 1/3 rd smaller and had another sport attracting 70k plus attendances..
so many young boys in this country are really decent at both sports and play both for a while but eventually have to choose....they don't all choose football

Fair point mate.