CRAIG BELLAMY SHOWING HIS COACHING CREDENTIALS?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:41 am

The 100-second Craig Bellamy video that's making Cardiff City fans very excited about his manager credentials
By Dominic Booth

Saturday 13th October 2018

The former Liverpool, Man City and Wales striker is growing into a promising coach

A viral video of Cardiff City legend Craig Bellamy explaining his coaching methods has served to excite Bluebirds fans that the former striker may one day make a superb manager.

Bellamy was appointed as the club's player development manager in December 2016, taking responsibility for players of all ages in the academy.

And despite being linked with first-team roles , most recently at Oxford United, the 39-year-old has always insisted he is revelling in his Cardiff role.

That hasn't stopped Bluebirds fans believing Bellamy may one day replace Neil Warnock as manager, if and when the time comes with the video of Bellamy — posted by @SportsJournoUSW on Twitter — giving a glimpse into his coaching style.

Bellamy was asked as part of a coaching seminar for University of South Wales, why he chose to work with youngsters instead of gunning for a first team position.

"Because I knew I needed to learn a lot and I came up that way as a young kid," he said.

"I needed to learn how to coach.

"I know what I want to see, identity is quite clear to me and how I want to play, but how can I put what goes on in my head into practice where players can understand and expose it with real youngsters where tone of voice, language, body language and mood — younger kids' senses are actually sharper than older kids."

Bellamy then added that the "deep end" of coaching players of varying ages — from nine-year-olds to 18-year-olds — at Cardiff was helping his own development as a manager.

He still has designs on a managerial role after being linked with the Wales job that eventually went to Ryan Giggs.

"You're learning at the deep end and we sometimes see this in reverse," he added.

"People say 'he should be working with older ones', but believe it or not the younger ones test you more, they work you more.

"So I thought go straight into the deep end, no short cuts and it's been a gradual working through the age groups and getting to know all the kids.

"Young kids have different problems to older kids, so I'm learning more and more. You have to approach coaching differently because I'll just know (a child) is going to struggle today.

"Learning how to coach youngsters is really preparing me for going up."

Whether Bellamy ever becomes manager of his boyhood and hometown club Cardiff remains to be seen.

Yet it seems certain the former Wales international, who combines his Bluebirds coaching role with regular punditry for Sky Sports, will make a splash in management in the near future.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/100-second-craig-bellamy-video-15270947
Attachments
Craig Bellamy.jpg
Craig Bellamy.jpg (33.17 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: CRAIG BELLAMY SHOWING HIS COACHING CREDENTIALS?

Postby dogfound » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:52 am

good idea by Bellers..perhaps Roy Keane should do one of these 100 second things to change the perception of his critics...

the hundred seconds that changed my life eh...
dogfound

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:37 am

That a typical Wales Online fake story. You can't show your coaching credentials in a 100 second video clip so it's utter nonsense.

I've no idea why anyone thinks Craig Bellamy, who was a great player, has any coaching or management potential,or the temperament for such a job, and I'm afraid that some of his tv pundit comments have done nothing to convince me otherwise.

The job is very very different from playing, as Olly demonstrated, and I don't think we want to see a repeat performance of that particular debacle do we.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby dogfound » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:55 am

attempting to undermine our manager..needs to be removed from our club ASAP
dogfound

Postby Sven » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:57 am

dogfound wrote:attempting to undermine our manager..needs to be removed from our club ASAP

He wouldn't be the first by a long chalk. Football is a fickle, ruthless business! :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:03 pm

He's showing something alright.
2blue2handle

Postby llan bluebird » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:05 pm

My take on the whole scenario whatever happens Warnock has done his job and this is his last season. You can't survive the premier league giving the ball away as much as we do and if we aspire to be a premier league club we need to adjust how we play. That's got to start at the manager.

There should be a statue to Warnock, he has undoubtedly saved the club from a slow torturous decline. But the strategy from the club since promotion has been awfully muted. All the "doing a Burnley" stuff indicates to me relegation is not the preferred option but one that's heavily planned for and for me that's changing manager with enough dosh to make "philosophy" change and for another promotion push.

I believe that manager will be Craig Bellamy. God knows how it would pan out, but it wouldn't be boring.

We couldn't do it this season as it would have been massively unfair on Warnock and Bellamy. To me the plan has been get through this season gambling and spending as little as possible. Murphy all ready looks like a player we'll make money on if he continues and Reid looks a decent footballer for a promotion challenging championship team. So there hasn't been much wasted cash this time around with massive incomes to pay off a few of those loan notes.
Hit 17th Warnock with no backing and basically a good championship team proves the critics wrong; he can semi retire and move upstairs as an advisor and Bellers can move in on a safe financial footing.
llan bluebird

Postby Kingyccfc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:25 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:That a typical Wales Online fake story. You can't show your coaching credentials in a 100 second video clip so it's utter nonsense.

I've no idea why anyone thinks Craig Bellamy, who was a great player, has any coaching or management potential,or the temperament for such a job, and I'm afraid that some of his tv pundit comments have done nothing to convince me otherwise.

The job is very very different from playing, as Olly demonstrated, and I don't think we want to see a repeat performance of that particular debacle do we.

Who knows if Bellamy will go on to be a manager at a high level. One thing for me is that it’s really refreshing to see a former premier league star starting from an early youth level. Lots of former high profile players just think they can go waltzing in to high profile positions without any real coaching/management grounding. I say good on him and keep learning.
Kingyccfc

Postby dogfound » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Kingyccfc wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:That a typical Wales Online fake story. You can't show your coaching credentials in a 100 second video clip so it's utter nonsense.

Who knows if Bellamy will go on to be a manager at a high level. One thing for me is that it’s really refreshing to see a former premier league star starting from an early youth level. Lots of former high profile players just think they can go waltzing in to high profile positions without any real coaching/management grounding. I say good on him and keep learning.

i dont see how its refreshing to not be offered jobs and then shoe horn yourself into your hometown clubs youth system....he would have jumped at the Wales job or infact any half decent job that came up....
dogfound

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:36 pm

If people read or listened to any of his previous chats on football people will see he's as passionate about coaching as he was as a player, he's gone around Europe looking at different aspects of coaching as well as obviously playing under great managers must learn something from that? People may not like him as a person or as a pundit but that doesn't mean he's not going to make good coach! That can only be determined by him actually being one for real, wether that's at city or elsewhere. :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby dogfound » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:43 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

If people read or listened to any of his previous chats on football people will see he's as passionate about coaching as he was as a player, he's gone around Europe looking at different aspects of coaching as well as obviously playing under great managers must learn something from that? People may not like him as a person or as a pundit but that doesn't mean he's not going to make good coach! That can only be determined by him actually being one for real, wether that's at city or elsewhere. :thumbup:

all these sound bites...from Craig himself about going around the world looking at coaching methods...keeps being quoted but where exactly did he go...
dogfound

Postby Kingyccfc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:58 pm

dogfound wrote:
Kingyccfc wrote:

i dont see how its refreshing to not be offered jobs and then shoe horn yourself into your hometown clubs youth system....he would have jumped at the Wales job or infact any half decent job that came up....

He may of done what you say. If he gets knocked back at the moment then he seems to be still trying to learn. Craig Bellamy is a controversial guy sometimes. Nobody can deny he’s a student of the game, he will have to learn to bite his tongue at times.
Kingyccfc

Postby BlueMoon1974 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Can he control his temper though.
BlueMoon1974

Postby Kingyccfc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:01 pm

BlueMoon1974 wrote:Can he control his temper though.

That’s his biggest issue. Love him or loath him, he has something to offer.
Kingyccfc

Postby Bluebird-in-Jackland » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Have I missed something here?

I watched the interview that was done by the USW and I can’t see where he’s slated Warnock or the club in any way.
Bluebird-in-Jackland

Postby dogfound » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:Have I missed something here?

I watched the interview that was done by the USW and I can’t see where he’s slated Warnock or the club in any way.

well it was difficult to hear his views on Sky and not see them as pot shots at NW and his methods.
dogfound

Postby HarriRhys22 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:11 pm

He turned down the Oxford United job to stay with our academy,I think he is our future manager. Another former player Toshack wanted to be our manager but we turned him so he went to the Jacks then Real Madrid twice etc etc to be probably the best ever Welsh Manager?
HarriRhys22

Postby dogfound » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:19 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:He turned down the Oxford United job to stay with our academy,I think he is our future manager. Another former player Toshack wanted to be our manager but we turned him so he went to the Jacks then Real Madrid twice etc etc to be probably the best ever Welsh Manager?

no he did not

he ACCEPTED the Oxford job only for the club to change ownership at the 11th hour with the new owners wanting to go in another direction..
dogfound

Postby Moonstomper » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Could say the same about Giggs and Sparky as Wales managers
Moonstomper

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Coaching credentials? My 10 year old kid train regularly with continental pro license coaches. What’s his point?
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby dogfound » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:Coaching credentials? My 10 year old kid train regularly with continental pro license coaches. What’s his point?

his point is there is blood in the water and he is ready when required.
dogfound

Postby Sven » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:43 pm

dogfound wrote:
Scandinavianbluebird wrote:Coaching credentials? My 10 year old kid train regularly with continental pro license coaches. What’s his point?

Yes, and he he can certainly claim credibility in the world of football and talk from on field experience at the very top rather than the modern trend for PowerPoint teaching :thumbright:

Seems to be that Craig's perceived personality divides opinion and not his potential, which will only be proven (or otherwise) when he is given an opportunity

Will that be at the CCS? Who knows but I would support it at the appropriate time if it happened 'in the right way' :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby 2blue2handle » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:40 am

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Yes, and he he can certainly claim credibility in the world of football and talk from on field experience at the very top rather than the modern trend for PowerPoint teaching :thumbright:

Seems to be that Craig's perceived personality divides opinion and not his potential, which will only be proven (or otherwise) when he is given an opportunity

Will that be at the CCS? Who knows but I would support it at the appropriate time if it happened 'in the right way' :ayatollah:

I think every play has potentially to be a manager. I don't see anything in Bellamy to think he has anything more to offer than any of player of his level. In fact I would be concerned by his temprement and loyalty in football. It seems to be he is ready to shaft Warnock at any point and can already smell. Blood.

If he can prove himself elsewhere first then maybe but just because he is from Cardiff doesn't make him anymore appealing to me than anyone else.
2blue2handle

Postby Sven » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:35 am

2blue2handle wrote:
Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I think every play has potentially to be a manager. I don't see anything in Bellamy to think he has anything more to offer than any of player of his level. In fact I would be concerned by his temprement and loyalty in football. It seems to be he is ready to shaft Warnock at any point and can already smell. Blood.

If he can prove himself elsewhere first then maybe but just because he is from Cardiff doesn't make him anymore appealing to me than anyone else.

Luke, as always I respect your views and can see where you're coming from :ayatollah:

I just think there is something about Bellamy that could make him succeed in management. It is, of course, only my personal opinion and only time will tell but I would like him to be given a chance at some point and how good would that be if he was successful at his hometown club? It wasn't too long ago a large section of our support was calling for his installation before we went with Neil Warnock

To be clear, I am a supporter of Neil Warnock and my preference is for him to (at least) see out his contract before handing over the reins to someone else

As for Bellamy stabbing Warnock in the back? I'm not so sure it's that or whether he (Bellamy) is just being his usual forthright self? He is known for being ruthless, focussed and strong-willed and those are traits that help (and sometimes hinder) certain managers who reach the very top

Does anyone actually know the relationship he has with the current manager? :?
Sven

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:31 pm

I seem to be in the minority but I find Craig Bellamy to be an excellent prospect as a manager be it here eventually or elsewhere.
He’s young, ambitious, articulate and speaks about the game very well and is going about things the right way IMO.
So he has a bit of fire in his belly? I love that and I’m sure he’s matured since his earlier days as a player in that respect. Like Warnock he demands 100%, 100% of the time from what I’ve seen.
Good luck to him.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Wasn’t sure about what his was when he joined as the coach of the Under 18s.

Saw him on Sky during our match with Burnley, and was certain he’s putting himself in position to take over from Warnock.

He’s been undermining the club and the manager on TV and in the media.

I don’t trust him.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Llan_Blue » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:56 pm

The thing everybody seems to forget is all the very best managers that there has ever been have very very bad tempers.
Llan_Blue

Postby Bluebina » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:33 am

I doubt it, it's a high pressure business, I don't think it's for him.
Bluebina

Postby dogfound » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:42 am

Llan_Blue wrote:

The thing everybody seems to forget is all the very best managers that there has ever been have very very bad tempers.

I don't think its forget.
its being able to differentiate between being angry about certain things that are or are not happening..and being angry because your an angry person...
you probably have a temper yourself most do , you probably also know people to be wary of because they forever have a head on...go figure..
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:52 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Wasn’t sure about what his was when he joined as the coach of the Under 18s.

Saw him on Sky during our match with Burnley, and was certain he’s putting himself in position to take over from Warnock.

He’s been undermining the club and the manager on TV and in the media.

I don’t trust him.

he knows the only senior job he is ever likely to get anywhere is at our club because of fan support..

and as above you can see its working...imagine the response { you dont have to actually its happened } if someone like Dahboy was as critical as CB....or Cundy { who actually didnt blame Warnock } ..

its not impossible he may be a decent manager {that goes for anyone untried } but there is reason he hasnt had decent offers and is not part of our 1st team set up after 4 and a half years...its either people who know are wary or not convinced about his ability or both..?
dogfound

Next

Return to General Chat