Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

OUT ON LOAN STRIKER COULD STILL MAKE PREMIER LEAGUE IMPACT

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:27 pm

The forgotten Cardiff City striker thriving in League Two who could still make an impact in the Premier League
By Dominic Booth

His loan expires in January and could yet play a Premier League role

Cardiff City have some very real dilemmas surrounding their strikers at the moment, but one young Bluebirds forward is thriving out on loan.

Rhys Healey agreed a temporary deal with Milton Keynes Dons towards the end of August, although many Cardiff aficionados believed he deserved a chance in Neil Warnock's first team squad.

Instead Healey has been busy trying to justify the regard in which he's held by some Cardiff fans. Under experienced boss Paul Tisdale he's scored three goals in four starts for loan club MK Dons.

And with his Stadium MK deal expiring in January — coupled with Cardiff's problems up front — the 23-year-old may come back into the reckoning for his parent club, though he's admitted he will need to hit bigger numbers in terms of goals for the League Two side.

His situation will be reassessed in the New Year, as will Cardiff's striking travails. Warnock is expected to sign a striker when the transfer window re-opens but that wont deter Healey from his task — trying to lay down a marker so the Cardiff boss cannot ignore him.

"I've always said double figures (as a goal target), but I'm here until January so I hope for 12 at least," he said.

"For the season, I'd want 15 to 20. It's a big target but hopefully I can get near it.

"I've come here for first team football, I struggled for minutes after my injury, so I'm here, playing and that's all that matters, and with the results now coming on a Saturday, it's all coming together.

"Strikers are guaranteed two or three chances a game, and even if it doesn't come off, you've got to put it right with the next chance."

Healey was in sparkling pre-season form for Cardiff before making the move, hitting six goals for the Bluebirds' first team and Under-23s side.

But he didn't make it into Warnock's 25-man Premier League squad with Gary Madine, Danny Ward and Kadeem Harris all preferred to him.

A cruciate knee injury suffered shortly after making his first-team breakthrough in February 2017 has stalled Healey's progress.

But he came back last season, featuring four times for Cardiff before a successful loan spell with Torquay, and had offers from League One sides before Warnock chose to link him up with former Exeter boss Tisdale at Milton Keynes.

The Dons are currently fifth in League Two having been relegated last season.

"He's getting better by the week," said Tisdale after Healey's latest goal in a 3-0 win over Cheltenham.

"Continuity of playing and training adds something to your game.

"He's been here a while now, he's part of the squad, he's playing, scoring a goal or two, and he feels part of the furniture. I'm really pleased with how he's contributed."

It may seem outrageous to suggest a player currently plying his trade in League Two could make an impact for a Premier League side later in the season.

But things can happen quickly in football. Healey is contracted to Cardiff until 2020 and is hopeful that his big break is still around the corner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: OUT ON LOAN STRIKER COULD STILL MAKE PREMIER LEAGUE IMPA

Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:15 pm

3 goals in league 2 this season. I'll take a guess and say no.

If is form continues he may get a loan to championship or. League 1 from Jan tho.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:28 pm

No offence to the lad but,if cardiff are to stay in the premier league we need a proven striker at this level,he may bang in the goals in the lower leagues,but i cant see him doing it at the top level,i may be wrong,but i dont even think we could take a chance on him,definately not this season

Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:04 pm

I hope he gets a loan to a Championship club also Kadeen Harris, they need to prove themselves at that level before being considered for the Premier League?

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:09 pm

I like Rhys Healey but to say he could make an impact in the Premier League is absolute nonsense.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:08 pm

How old is he - does he get included in the 25 man squad or is he young enough to be considered youth?