Cardiff City need to stay positive despite poor start

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:42 am

By Jamie Kynaston

Sunday 14th October 2018

It may not be a surprise to see Cardiff City struggling in the Premier League, but only eight games have been played. Five straight defeats mean realisation is starting to settle in. Only two points are totalled from attempted performances - but we cannot write them off just yet.

Weirdly enough, the only points to be received by Cardiff were against teams down a man. These games were both 0-0 against Huddersfield Town and Newcastle United; the two opponents just above them in the table. The recent losses were against Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Burnley and Tottenham Hotspur. Understandable against the so-called bigger sides but to miss out on points from lesser rated teams are huge opportunities missed.

The Bluebirds hold the joint-worst attack with just four goals scored. They also possess the second-worst defence with 17 conceded. Manager Neil Warnock will feel hard done by but he knows there is much to work on. Some will point out the lack of incoming transfers during the summer window. Although spending £28million it was seen as a comparison to the other sides that were recently promoted from the Championship. Fulham spent £98million while Wolverhampton Wanderers splashed out £66million worth of new signings.

Many knew Cardiff may possibly struggle but to already be three points inside relegation zone right now is a warning. If the form isn't picked up anytime soon, the table could look quite drastic by the year's end. Failing to do so, the January transfer window is a perfect opportunity to capitalise. The fans know it is a plan B and Neil Warnock should take advantage even if they aren't struggling by then.

The only problem Warnock faces is if he gets sacked sooner rather than later... His recent comments over the Joe Ralls red card sparked controversy as well as his opinion on Harry Kane. Cardiff is a club aiming for big things. But with a character like their manager, results must back up the talk. A manager's comments shouldn't affect players performances on the pitch, but it can. Depending on the mood, player's can react in all sorts of ways. And negativity is not something a newly-promoted club needs.

There is a chance to turn things around for the Welsh side and there are a few winnable fixtures coming up. Fulham FC, mid-table sides; Leicester City, Brighton & Hove Albion and Everton FC are also potential matches to pick up points.
Both ends of the pitch need working on. Sol Bamba, Danny Ward, Victor Camarasa and Josh Murphy have all scored one goal each. After eight games they are joint top scorers at the club this season. This is a prime example of where the squad is lacking.

Let's take, for example, the Burnley game. Cardiff had 19 shots in total compared to Burnley's three attempts. Sean Dyche's side scored two goals from those three attempts. Cardiff managed just five shots on target with one ending in the back of the net. To be more clinical is an understatement. The boss is all talk but failing to produce could be a huge catalyst. If they beat Fulham in their next fixture it could cause some positive momentum. One or two wins can easily change how the Premier League table looks.

We haven't seen the real Cardiff City that impressed during the Championship last season. Once they find their rhythm many neutrals will be raising their eyebrows at what they are really made of.
Attachments
Neil Warnock.jpg
Neil Warnock.jpg (35.92 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Cardiff City need to stay positive despite poor start

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:38 am

We have only truly been thumped by Manchester City and in the last 15 minutes @ Chelsea, no shame in that. The other games we have put up some reasonable performances losing out to some basic defensive mistakes which we should be able to work on in training.

I'm still optimistic and Fulham for the £98m of spending are only 3 points better off. There are signs at other clubs that not all is well and that might give us a window of opportunity.

We should hold our nerve double up on training to boost our defending, creativity and goal scoring. It will not be easy but I have this feeling we will pull off the Mother of all survivals and finish 17th after a brilliant 2nd half to the season.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Sven » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:50 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:We have only truly been thumped by Manchester City and in the last 15 minutes @ Chelsea, no shame in that. The other games we have put up some reasonable performances losing out to some basic defensive mistakes which we should be able to work on in training.

I'm still optimistic and Fulham for the £98m of spending are only 3 points better off. There are signs at other clubs that not all is well and that might give us a window of opportunity.

We should hold our nerve double up on training to boost our defending, creativity and goal scoring. It will not be easy but I have this feeling we will pull off the Mother of all survivals and finish 17th after a brilliant 2nd half to the season.

Tony, you are right that only Man City (and partially by Chelsea) have really outclassed us to date and there is surely optimism for the remainder of the season. Cardiff City are still learning and hopefully the individual errors will reduce as they players become Premier League 'savvy'

I remain positive and see morale-boosting points coming over the next 6 games or so! :thumbright: :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Kingyccfc » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 am

Sven wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:We have only truly been thumped by Manchester City and in the last 15 minutes @ Chelsea, no shame in that. The other games we have put up some reasonable performances losing out to some basic defensive mistakes which we should be able to work on in training.

Tony, you are right that only Man City (and partially by Chelsea) have really outclassed us to date and there is surely optimism for the remainder of the season. Cardiff City are still learning and hopefully the individual errors will reduce as they players become Premier League 'savvy'

I remain positive and see morale-boosting points coming over the next 6 games or so! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

I hope your right, it would be nice to get some positivity going. Nobody can deny the support the team is getting from the stands is nothing short of exceptional. I just want that first win just like everybody else. So you are right to stay positive at this time, this next month is critical for us. It could springboard us on to better times.
Kingyccfc

Postby JJ1927 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:49 am

Beat Fulham and we go above them and quite possibly out of the bottom three. Things will look a lot less gloomy then.
JJ1927

Postby Sven » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:59 am

Kingyccfc wrote:
Sven wrote:

I hope your right, it would be nice to get some positivity going. Nobody can deny the support the team is getting from the stands is nothing short of exceptional. I just want that first win just like everybody else. So you are right to stay positive at this time, this next month is critical for us. It could springboard us on to better times.

That's the spirit we need right now! :thumbright: :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby montyblue » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:20 am

I think loosing mendez laing did' nt help right at the start he was my favourite to push on in the prem this season, so unfortunate for him to be out for so long because he is an impact player but hey ho then we lost peltier, gunnarson has' nt arrived yet, and zohore has not fired the pundits are all on our backs,alk these thungs j ock your confidence but i am feeling really positive with the games coming up the last few have been against the top 5 and apart from man city we have not been disgraced while still trying to get upto speed literally with the pace of the premier so fulham leicster Brighton wolves southampton manure and even spurs new years day are all coming up and winnable at home.
montyblue

Postby TopCat CCFC » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:44 am

JJ1927 wrote:Beat Fulham and we go above them and quite possibly out of the bottom three. Things will look a lot less gloomy then.

Agree - It's all about getting that 1st Win .
TopCat CCFC

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:45 pm

That article is very well written and accurate.

Things are really nothing like as bad as a knee jerk ,follow the last pundit media are making out, or some of the comments made here would suggest. I must say that most of these comments of this sort here come from people who don't really understand the game or the realities of working towards eventual success in any competitive area of professional life.

It's nor come as any surprise to me that it's much harder to get it right in the Premiership,or that adjusting to that much higher standard hasn't happened overnight. In fact, I'm somewhat dubious as to how long the initial flash bang factor of teams like Fulham buying in players will last.

It's a gradual process to consistently hit the required standard and, whilst we know that we haven't got forever to do that because there are only so many games in the season, we do see this gradual process of improvement and it's far far too early to think we've seen the best or worst of any particular club. In fact it's quite ridiculous and a bit child like to be doing that.

If we'd had a few lucky results ,( which would have been quite possible), and we're now fifth in the table , would we be confidently expecting a place in Europe and imagining that we'd be likely to win the Championship ? I think some of us here might be actually , but it doesn't work like that and it remains to be seen how the league table will look after everyone has had a chance to settle down and find their proper level of play. Some will improve incredibly , some will collapse completely and everything in between and there remains every reason to expect that constant tweaking and learning, combined with the odd bit of luck and mostly determination will earn us a respectable place as it goes on.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Few typos there but it won't let me edit
SirJimmySchoular

Postby northernbluebird » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:48 pm

clearly we should have got at least a point against burnley, but that would only take us to 3 from 8. of the other games, i think we've got what we have deserved - narrow defeats to arsenal and tottenham, and we haven't been embarrassed by any team.

it was criminal to not beat newcastle down to 10 men at home. we will not stay up if we don't accept gifts like that.

that said, we couldn't have argued too much with a top half championship finish next season, let alone automatic promotion. the players have been incredible but for some of them this is too much of an ask.
northernbluebird

Postby Sven » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:43 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Few typos there but it won't let me edit

You can usually edit for a very short period before it prevents any changes :thumbright:
Sven

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:00 pm

Sven wrote:

You can usually edit for a very short period before it prevents any changes :thumbright:

Yeah, that's freaky actually. Not the case on most phpBB message boards and I'm pretty certain it's a setting which you can alter as the site administrator. I don't know therefore whether it's a deliberate policy , an old software version or just something the site operators haven't noticed is there to set to preference.
Whilst we're on the subject, I've also wondered why you can't paste pictures , YouTube videos , articles directly into the message box here. Again , maybe this is a decision by those who run it or maybe they just haven't set it for that.
If anyone knows I'd be interested - I think it's potentially a revenue stream if you generate enough clicks via your phpBB forum too, so I do wonder why not.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:03 pm

Just thinking "aloud" and sharing this, but I'm pretty certain you could actually post stuff like that in message boxes anyway if you wanted to f## about enough , but I wouldn't want to do that if it's a thing which is not wanted on this forum.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby dogfound » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:31 am

Sven wrote:

would like to see the amount of time given to edit increased too.
dogfound

Return to General Chat