Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BOBBY REID: OUT OF HIS DEPTH ACCORDING TO...

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:18 pm

'Out of his depth' How Bobby Reid is faring away from Bristol City
By Michael Boniface (from the ugly side of the River Severn)

Bristol Live

Bobby Reid was key to the Robins’ 2017/18 campaign

Bobby Reid, Joe Bryan, and Aden Flint were all counted upon as crucial City regulars – until they left Ashton Gate in the summer.

They each played his part in the Robins’ 11th placed Championship finish and the remarkable run to the Carabao Cup semi-finals.

But could he have been better off staying? We take a look at his progress since departing Ashton Gate.

Bobby Reid – Cardiff City

It’s fair to say things haven’t quite worked out for Bobby Reid since the Bristolian’s controversial £10m summer switch to the Premier League.

Despite recording 21 goals and seven assists for City last season, the attacking midfielder, 25, has failed to open his account for Cardiff.

The Robins’ academy product has managed only three league starts in 373 minutes of Premier League action, along with a wayward 22% shooting accuracy.

His only achievement to date came via an assist during the Bluebirds’ 3-1 loss to Norwich in the Carabao Cup.

His ill suitability to Neil Warnock’s more direct style of play has been noted by fans, with the Championship’s third highest scorer last season struggling to find his feet or form.

Such troubles are a far cry from his City heroics last year, after which he made the Championship Team of the Year.

It's still early days for Reid in the Premier League and he still has time to prove his worth.

Ashton Gate regulars were disappointed at their star striker jumping ship to a fierce rival.

The former Bristol City hitman has defended his move since and will be looking to quickly turn things around in South Wales… even if some Robins’ fans won’t.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BOBBY REID: OUT OF HIS DEPTH ACCORDING TO...

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Don't see this personally, as I like what I've seen of him when he plays! :thumbright:

However, there may be a point in saying that he isn't ideally fitted for the usual Neil Warnock but that could change, as the manager tries to find a system that works and starts to put points on the table!

Bitterness seems to be the Wurzel way! ;) :laughing6:

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:25 pm

I like what I've seen of him to be honest but don't feel we have seen a lot of him to judge. Probably a player we didn't need when we were crying out for other positions.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:29 pm

He's got huge potential and ability but the problem is finding the right place for him to play in since we've had to change the shape a bit. I'd trust him as a striker except that he's physically too short.
I'm hoping that we can somehow accommodate him in the team because if we don't we'll miss out

Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:07 pm

Bobby Reid has featured so far against Bournemouth (up front on his own with a very weak midfield behind him giving him little supply), Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and the last 5-10 minutes at Spurs. It's way too early to judge him, especially as he's only really played against the top teams. I would like to see Reid start against Fulham, let's see what he can do against the worst defence in the Premiership.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:15 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Bobby Reid has featured so far against Bournemouth (up front on his own with a very weak midfield behind him giving him little supply), Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and the last 5-10 minutes at Spurs. It's way too early to judge him, especially as he's only really played against the top teams. I would like to see Reid start against Fulham, let's see what he can do against the worst defence in the Premiership.

Yes i would start him as a 10 with camarassa and arter behind him. Now neil aint got to accomadate ralls in the team we might finally see that, camarassa can play centre then and effect the game more instead of out wide where hes wasted and in an un natural position.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 pm

RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Bobby Reid has featured so far against Bournemouth (up front on his own with a very weak midfield behind him giving him little supply), Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and the last 5-10 minutes at Spurs. It's way too early to judge him, especially as he's only really played against the top teams. I would like to see Reid start against Fulham, let's see what he can do against the worst defence in the Premiership.

Yes i would start him as a 10 with camarassa and arter behind him. Now neil aint got to accomadate ralls in the team we might finally see that, camarassa can play centre then and effect the game more instead of out wide where hes wasted and in an un natural position.

Totally agree. That's exactly how I would set us up. :thumbright:

Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:06 am

He hasn't Been given a chance to show what he can do. Now I hope Warnock plays him while Ralls is out. Ralls works his guts out every game but the one failure he has is that he is to slow on the ball. Hated having to say that but it is true.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:29 am

Even though he's yet to get off the mark for us, I can see why he did so well last season in the Championship. He has good acceleration and movement. However, too often when he's been played, he's been isolated - he's not that kind of player to play the lone striker role. He needs to start against Fulham. I think he'll get a goal for us sooner rather than later. He's a good player.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:01 am

He reminds me a lot of Dwight Gayle ex Newcastle now with WBA... Plenty of pace etc, though not Premiership class... Saying that he does need some time to get used to the pace etc and could do with a strong centre froward to play off :bluebird:

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:14 pm

he's been almost totally ineffective so far - he's still a championship player. to get away with being physically weak in the PL, you either need lightning pace, or great control of the ball. he's knocked off the ball far too easily. he's also possibly not playing in the right position.

he may well develop and improve, but being chucked into a relegation battle is a tough ask.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:30 pm

He's the type of player I would have liked us to sign as a future prospect/back up player. Behind another 2/3 strikers and attacking midfielders.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:50 pm

To be fair Warnock has played him out of position more often than not. Playing as a number ten with a strong striker like Kodgia or even Maupay up top would bring out the best in him. Given Warnock's style of play I can't see him getting any more effective. Change the manager and style and he could thrive.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:32 am

The article didn't claim Bobby Reid is out of his depth.

The full article was about Bobby Reid, Joe Bryan and Aiden Flint - the three main Bristol City players who jumped ship in the summer.

It quoted one Fulham fan who said Joe Bryan is out of his depth.

Neither the 'author' nor anyone quoted said the same about Reid.

It was just a crappy filler piece with a click bait heading - but not one aimed at Bobby Reid.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... id-2104754