Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NEIL WARNOCK: “ INSISTS VINCENT TAN “

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:28 am

Neil Warnock insists he will have funds to spend in January as Vincent Tan has promised him— though short term his more pressing concern is grinding out results until then to ensure Cardiff aren't cut adrift.

A transfer kitty of around £10million, maybe even £15million should be available, with Warnock a shrewd negotiator — both with other clubs and with Tan, Mehmet Dalman and his board.

Tuesday 16th October 2018

By Dominic Booth

The Bluebirds already have their eye on four or five strikers, many of them currently playing in the Championship.

Their transfer team, led by Warnock and head of recruitment Glyn Chamberlain , will be sounding out matters like fees and wages around certain targets. It's all part of the ongoing transfer process.

And the reality of Cardiff's situation is that they will likely remain in the Premier League's relegation zone when the January window finally opens. So Championship strikers — or loans from bigger clubs — will be their kind of market.

Dwight Gayle and Jay Rodriguez would be attractive targets in the eyes of supporters, so too Charlie Austin , Jermain Defoe and Ashley Barnes if Cardiff can prise away a Premier League striker.

Jay Rodriguez, along with Dwight Gayle, has been scoring lots for West Brom this season (Image: PA)
It remains to be seen when it comes to individual names. But Cardiff's net may be cast further afield, as it was in finding Victor Camarasa in the summer, to find value in European markets.

What else we can expect

Warnock has also hinted he wants a defender and midfielder in January; although getting both, as well as a striker, would be beyond Cardiff's wildest dreams.

In midfield they still look a little short of a genuine holding midfield player, the failure to re-sign Marko Grujic plus Aron Gunnarsson's fitness problems and Joe Ralls' recent suspension merely accentuating that shortcoming. Camarasa and Harry Arter have plugged the gap higher up the pitch but that back four needs a quality enforcer for protection.

It hasn't been a particularly solid start to the season for either of Cardiff's centre-backs either, both Sol Bamba and Sean Morrison at times culpable for goals, so Warnock may identify a new man in the middle of defence.

What Cardiff cannot afford in January is a repeat of their summer dealings which, by anyone's admission, saw them come away a striker light.

Warnock and the club's hierarchy know that they were left behind by Wolves, Fulham and others when it came to spending.

Quite rightly they want to spend smart, not silly — hence why the Dzeko rumour is nothing more than that.

But if Warnock still has transfer regrets when January ends, his team will be fighting an uphill battle to survive in the Premier League.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL WARNOCK: “ INSISTS VINCENT TAN “

Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Seems a bit odd to promise him funds now when we don't know where we will be come janaury.... Unless he just didn't spent his budget from the summer which seems more likely.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:15 pm

We also have a 10 million pound player warming his ass on the bench?

Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Really ? The way we are going it will be too late by then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Nora0343 wrote:Really ? The way we are going it will be too late by then.

Wow! All of £10million. The world's our oyster.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:32 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Seems a bit odd to promise him funds now when we don't know where we will be come janaury.... Unless he just didn't spent his budget from the summer which seems more likely.

You're right. That's exactly what's happened

Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:40 pm

City Slicker wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Seems a bit odd to promise him funds now when we don't know where we will be come janaury.... Unless he just didn't spent his budget from the summer which seems more likely.

If it is right it's a shame as I think we had a bit of a mess in the transfer window this summer. If we are struggling come janaury and looking unlikely to get out of it I would hope Tan would withdraw those funds until next summer.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:08 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

If it is right it's a shame as I think we had a bit of a mess in the transfer window this summer. If we are struggling come janaury and looking unlikely to get out of it I would hope Tan would withdraw those funds until next summer.

a striker a defender and a midfield player...10 million pounds...the premier league..
good luck pulling that off...

Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Dahboy wrote:We also have a 10 million pound player warming his ass on the bench?

Don’t talk rubbish all our players have had game time.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:07 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Dahboy wrote:We also have a 10 million pound player warming his ass on the bench?

Don’t talk rubbish all our players have had game time.

What I mean is its not enough and by Jan it could be all over. We lose to Fulham we need to sack Warnock asap.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:16 pm

NW stated in a Q & A session in the summer and after the 4 signings had been made that he still had a further 10m in the pot. Guess that’s the figure being referred to and by the sound of it very little extra. Come January things may be different but I wou,d be very surprised if another striker isn’t brought in. I guess a loan signing with the parent club paying some of the wages.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:32 pm

10-15m is peanuts (especially in jan). Can't see it making a big difference, if any.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:52 pm

nubbsy wrote:10-15m is peanuts (especially in jan). Can't see it making a big difference, if any.

Jack, seems we're going to be shopping in The Championship this Christmas (maybe with one eye sadly on the future) and it disappoints greatly because whilst I fully understand the financial position the club are in, I am not too sure when we will get another Premier League opportunity should we be easily relegated this season; mainly because Neil Warnock is a one-off we are lucky to have...

My support is still with Neil Warnock and his players (I don't see them shirking in their duties or commitment) and I remain both positive and hopeful that there are signs that we have the players who can get us sufficient points on the board to stay in touch with those immediately above us

It will be tough but we knew that at the final whistle of the Reading game last season! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:10 pm

I expect one permanent signing and two loan signing in January, a Striker,right back and midfielder. Also we must try to offload Tomlin,Pilks and either Madine or Zohore and loan out any players not in our new squad of 25.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:32 pm

The author just slipped the ten to fifteen million in after a direct quote from Sir Neil. That was the journalist's estimate, not from the Club.
Whilst I'm always arguing with people here who have ridiculous expectations about this sort of thing, ten to fifteen million just isn't enough to do anything significant with. I'm sure that Mr Tan understands this and will allocate accordingly.
Perhaps we can recoup a bit by selling some players but strikers who don't get into the team and can't score goals don't go for much money in today's market.
To be honest, the best chance we've got of shifting the two complete turnips,( only one of whom is a striker) is free transfers just to offload the wages - but again really, who wants to pay either of them that sort of money. Ralls and Richards might fetch a few quid from championship teams but again would the players take the salary cut ?

Conclusion being that new players are going to require more like 20/25 million even with wise buying and getting one or two on loan and there's nowhere else to get it from but the owner

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:16 pm

dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

a striker a defender and a midfield player...10 million pounds...the premier league..
good luck pulling that off...

That's when you need to prioritise. I really like Reid, not sure on Cunningham and Smithies yet but that's that's what's between 14 and 20 million depending what you ready. For ME a striker and holding midfielder and then a right back takes priority over them so that's between 30 and 45m for those players which should be sufficient. A right back of championship quality would be a start.

Just felt a lazy summer. Where were the frees, even the loans felt last minute. I like Warnock and I think he knows transfer wise at least he is a championship manager.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Sven wrote:
nubbsy wrote:10-15m is peanuts (especially in jan). Can't see it making a big difference, if any.

Jack, seems we're going to be shopping in The Championship this Christmas (maybe with one eye sadly on the future) and it disappoints greatly because whilst I fully understand the financial position the club are in, I am not too sure when we will get another Premier League opportunity should we be easily relegated this season; mainly because Neil Warnock is a one-off we are lucky to have...

My support is still with Neil Warnock and his players (I don't see them shirking in their duties or commitment) and I remain both positive and hopeful that there are signs that we have the players who can get us sufficient points on the board to stay in touch with those immediately above us

It will be tough but we knew that at the final whistle of the Reading game last season! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Do you know Chris I haven't looked at any accounts but this "financial constraint" always raises my hackles. The guy's just been handed circa £200 million out of the blue as reward money. What the hell has happened to that? Has it bought a new yacht! Sorry to be out of the mainstream but I don't buy it.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:18 pm

City Slicker wrote:
Sven wrote:

Do you know Chris I haven't looked at any accounts but this "financial constraint" always raises my hackles. The guy's just been handed circa £200 million out of the blue as reward money. What the hell has happened to that? Has it bought a new yacht! Sorry to be out of the mainstream but I don't buy it.

where does this 200 million figure come from

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:26 pm

City Slicker wrote:
Sven wrote:

It's not 200m cash in hand with one payment straight into tans bank account ! What money bought players and payed the wages of all the staff at ccfc? Think you find our outgoings are more than income excluding premiership money. Yes you'd expect to us to have spent more but it's a juggling act especially as he's reducing the debt at same time? Fulham spent 100m and they are not exactly running away from us, it's frustrating but but that's where we are at moment. :thumbup:

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:30 am

You’d think that the Club would have more ambition, especially how much Tan upset the fans the last time we were in the Premiership. He has to take responsibility for his own actions, his behaviour was beyond comprehension. It still sticks in my gut,as a City fan.The club is far bigger than one man, he disrespected City fans,he has other projects with another football club,besides others, Myself I feel let down as a City fan,like every hardworking fan that has payed for a season ticket.We need more than promises in January. As usual Tan is not owning up to his responsibilities, he’s passing the buck on to the manager, we’ve been here before.Tan has not done enough financially this season where he should have spent more and showed commitment and ambition, where Wolves have spent more showing ambition to consolidate in the Premier league.Show you’re commitment “Vincent Tan” to the supporters, we are the heart of the club. We deserve better and more commitment like we are showing with our support every week.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:42 am

Clubfortyfourer wrote:You’d think that the Club would have more ambition, especially how much Tan upset the fans the last time we were in the Premiership. He has to take responsibility for his own actions, his behaviour was beyond comprehension. It still sticks in my gut,as a City fan.The club is far bigger than one man, he disrespected City fans,he has other projects with another football club,besides others, Myself I feel let down as a City fan,like every hardworking fan that has payed for a season ticket.We need more than promises in January. As usual Tan is not owning up to his responsibilities, he’s passing the buck on to the manager, we’ve been here before.Tan has not done enough financially this season where he should have spent more and showed commitment and ambition, where Wolves have spent more showing ambition to consolidate in the Premier league.Show you’re commitment “Vincent Tan” to the supporters, we are the heart of the club. We deserve better and more commitment like we are showing with our support every week.

Another multi too gutless to post this under his usual ID.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:47 am

dogfound wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Sven wrote:

I think you know deep down, come on don't be so coy!

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:10 am

City Slicker wrote:
dogfound wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Sven wrote:

of course i know :lol: :lol: it exists only in slickerland..

well i did try..but its like groundhog day , you say something really idiotic, someone asks you a simple question and your snookered...ffs

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:29 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:
Clubfortyfourer wrote:You’d think that the Club would have more ambition, especially how much Tan upset the fans the last time we were in the Premiership. He has to take responsibility for his own actions, his behaviour was beyond comprehension. It still sticks in my gut,as a City fan.The club is far bigger than one man, he disrespected City fans,he has other projects with another football club,besides others, Myself I feel let down as a City fan,like every hardworking fan that has payed for a season ticket.We need more than promises in January. As usual Tan is not owning up to his responsibilities, he’s passing the buck on to the manager, we’ve been here before.Tan has not done enough financially this season where he should have spent more and showed commitment and ambition, where Wolves have spent more showing ambition to consolidate in the Premier league.Show you’re commitment “Vincent Tan” to the supporters, we are the heart of the club. We deserve better and more commitment like we are showing with our support every week.

you are right..
its the same 2 or 3 banging this drum every day under a number of guises..

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:51 am

dogfound wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
dogfound wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Sven wrote:

well i did try..but its like groundhog day , you say something really idiotic, someone asks you a simple question and your snookered...ffs

But you say idiotic things all the time so I don't follow your logic :oops: Some jerk asks a ridiculous question who knows the answer so some of us of course refuse to rise to the bait. Talk about give the dog a bone! :lol:

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:57 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:

I don't know if he/she is a multi Mart but a fair point has been made and worthy of discussion. I know lots might disagree with this view but I think this opinion might develop during the season. I don't think it's of the same order as the blue/red division in the past though.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:08 am

City Slicker wrote:
dogfound wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
dogfound wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Sven wrote:

But you say idiotic things all the time so I don't follow your logic :oops: Some jerk asks a ridiculous question who knows the answer so some of us of course refuse to rise to the bait. Talk about give the dog a bone! :lol:

well the jerk that knows the answer knows its not 200mill... :lol: :lol:
just wondered how those of you in town hill come up with it...

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:09 am

City Slicker wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:

I don't know if he/she is a multi Mart but a fair point has been made and worthy of discussion. I know lots might disagree with this view but I think this opinion might develop during the season. I don't think it's of the same order as the blue/red division in the past though.

your not sure if you are a multi ? waw

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:17 am

dogfound wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:

your not sure if you are a multi ? waw

Sorry, you're wrong on that one. Phil has his own views and we agree or disagree but he is genuine! ;) :thumbright:

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:18 am

City Slicker wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:

I see your point but when the same person has the opposite view using another alias its a hypocritical cowardness.I mean blaiming Tan for all our financial woes and demanding he runs the club properly under one name and then a "spend it for the boys" under another name smacks of a shitstirer who doesn't have the clubs well being at heart.

PS he makes the same spelling mistakes as someone else,exactly the same