Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

HOW THE HELL DOES THIS NATIONS LEAGUE WORK ?

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:22 pm

This Nation's league is a total mystery to me I have bought a season ticket for £168 and I assume that there are more than two games (Denmark & Ireland). Can any explain how it works in easy language> :oops:

Re: HOW THE HELL DOES THIS NATIONS LEAGUE WORK ?

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:26 pm

Whistler wrote:This Nation's league is a total mystery to me I have bought a season ticket for £168 and I assume that there are more than two games (Denmark & Ireland). Can any explain how it works in easy language> :oops:

not too sure whats so difficult about it. top the group, you go up and into the finals come last and you go down.

i imagine youve also paid for the euro qualifiers too

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:34 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Whistler wrote:This Nation's league is a total mystery to me I have bought a season ticket for £168 and I assume that there are more than two games (Denmark & Ireland). Can any explain how it works in easy language> :oops:

not too sure whats so difficult about it. top the group, you go up and into the finals come last and you go down.

Paul, So if I have it right then its a pre-qualifying tournament which leads into a normal qualifying tournament. :occasion5:

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:53 pm

A TOURNAMENT TICKET IS GOOD FOR BOTH NATIONS LEAGUE HOME GAMES { YES THERE ARE JUST 2 }...PLUS THE FIRST 4 HOME EURO QUALIFIERS { THERE MIGHT BE A FIFTH, WHICH IF THE CASE IS NOT COVERED WITHIN THE TOURNAMENT TICKET PRICE }.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:54 pm

Whistler wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Paul, So if I have it right then its a pre-qualifying tournament which leads into a normal qualifying tournament. :occasion5:

topping this group will determine our seeding.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:14 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
Whistler wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

apparently not...I read earlier we are now certain of being in bag 2 which is ok I think...don't think its possible to go into bag1..

Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:26 pm

dogfound wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Whistler wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

apparently not...I read earlier we are now certain of being in bag 2 which is ok I think...don't think its possible to go into bag1..

Don't we get auto qualification if we get promoted then win that group ?

Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:44 pm

So uefa nationd league...

There are 4 leagues. A,b, c and d. Within each league there are 4 groups. 1,2,3 and 4. So 16 groups in total.

Top 4 teams in league A compete over semi final and final to win UEFA Nations league. So only league A teams (12) can win the competition.

At end of league the winner of every group is promoted to the league above and loser of every group is relegated to league below.

In addition...

The 16 group winners all go into a play off to get a second chance if qualifying for euro 2020. 4 from 16 will progress.

If for example germany win their group but also qualified for euro 2020 through normal qualifying then their uefa nations playoff place goes to next team in from uefa nation group

The 16 teams then go into groups of 4 and get paired in a semi final and final from that group. Winner of each 4 groups qualifys...

In summary for likes of Wales we should take it seriously

Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:47 pm

If you win the group you get put into pot 1 of the qualifying draw (if needed)
And go into a straight knockout tournament against the other 3 group b winners next summer for a direct place at the euros without the need to qualify.

If you finish second you get a place in pot 2 for the main qualifying draw

If you finish third you get relegated and start the next nations league in group c against teams like scotland instead of Denmark which would give you a better chance to qualify.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:23 pm

thomasblue wrote:If you win the group you get put into pot 1 of the qualifying draw (if needed)
And go into a straight knockout tournament against the other 3 group b winners next summer for a direct place at the euros without the need to qualify.

If you finish third you get relegated and start the next nations league in group c against teams like scotland instead of Denmark which would give you a better chance to qualify.

THE 10 COUNTRIES WITH THE HIGHEST UEFA RANKING OUT OF LEAGUE A WILL GO INTO POT 1
THE REMAING 2 PLUS ALL COUNTRIES FINISHING 1ST OR 2ND IN THEIR LEAGUE B MINI GROUPS WILL BE IN POT 2..
LAST NIGHTS RESULT ENSURES US AT LEAST 2ND PLACE AND THEREFORE WE WILL 100% BE IN POT 2 FOR MAIN DRAW.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:25 pm

thomasblue wrote:If you win the group you get put into pot 1 of the qualifying draw (if needed)

THE 10 COUNTRIES WITH THE HIGHEST UEFA RANKING OUT OF LEAGUE A WILL GO INTO POT 1
THE REMAING 2 PLUS ALL COUNTRIES FINISHING 1ST OR 2ND IN THEIR LEAGUE B MINI GROUPS WILL BE IN POT 2..
LAST NIGHTS RESULT ENSURES US AT LEAST 2ND PLACE AND THEREFORE WE WILL 100% BE IN POT 2 FOR MAIN DRAW.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:12 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Whistler wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

if we win this group of 3 we win promotion to league A and progress to play offs with the other 3 minigroup winners from league B..the play offs take place AFTER the normal EURO qualifiers...should we have already qualified through normal qualifiers we drop out of the play offs but are promoted to league A never the less..

Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:04 pm

dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Whistler wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

if we win this group of 3 we win promotion to league A and progress to play offs with the other 3 minigroup winners from league B..the play offs take place AFTER the normal EURO qualifiers...should we have already qualified through normal qualifiers we drop out of the play offs but are promoted to league A never the less..

Not forgetting that in the event of a tied position , the team whose home ground is nearest the equator goes through, which is of course why Wales have opted for the rugby stadium rather than CC stadium, which gives them a theoretical advantage if it goes to the so called "Napier Clause".

Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:25 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Whistler wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Not forgetting that in the event of a tied position , the team whose home ground is nearest the equator goes through, which is of course why Wales have opted for the rugby stadium rather than CC stadium, which gives them a theoretical advantage if it goes to the so called "Napier Clause".

it gets more complicated the more you look at it..

WINNING the group ensures you are in a group of 5 not a group of 6 in the proper qualifiers...as it does for all group winners in all four leagues...which therefore means the chances of being in a group against inform teams increases 4 fold..

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:36 am

JESUS and i thought i was just being a numpty, I think i will just turn up at CCS when ticket comes, for gods sake no more explanations ! Bloody hell reading this lot has given me a headache. :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:53 pm

So if we win our league which is League B group 4, what group are we promoted to is it League A Group 4 or are they all redrawn again :banghead:

Totally over my head

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:16 pm

Why did they change it, it was very simple before even I could understand it !:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:36 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Whistler wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Its like the champions league. Win the group then it's a knockout. Win the entire tournament you go to the euros.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:28 pm

2blue2handle wrote:So if we win our league which is League B group 4, what group are we promoted to is it League A Group 4 or are they all redrawn again :banghead:

Totally over my head

four leagues OF 12 A,B,C,D.......based on uefa rankings......which put us in the 2nd tier B......each league was split into 4 mini groups of 3....win the group you get promoted along with the other 3 minigroup winners...finish 2nd remain in 2nd tier...finish bottom you get relegated to the league C below along with the other 3 bottom finishers from the other 3 minigroup ..
this bit in itself i think is quite straight forward.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Whistler wrote:Why did they change it, it was very simple before even I could understand it !:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

they havent changed anything. its something completely new

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:48 pm

Whistler wrote:Why did they change it, it was very simple before even I could understand it !:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

the euro qualifiers are the same ,10 groups with the top 2 from each group going to the euros.

this nations league is something different.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:09 pm

dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:So if we win our league which is League B group 4, what group are we promoted to is it League A Group 4 or are they all redrawn again :banghead:

Totally over my head

four leagues OF 12 A,B,C,D.......based on uefa rankings......which put us in the 2nd tier B......each league was split into 4 mini groups of 3....win the group you get promoted along with the other 3 minigroup winners...finish 2nd remain in 2nd tier...finish bottom you get relegated to the league C below along with the other 3 bottom finishers from the other 3 minigroup ..

I kind of get that but assuming we win the league we are currently in and we move to League A, which of the leagues do we go into (A1, A2 A3 or A4) or re the leagues re drawn again after the promotion and relegation?

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:15 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Totally over my head

I kind of get that but assuming we win the league we are currently in and we move to League A, which of the leagues do we go into (A1, A2 A3 or A4) or re the leagues re drawn again after the promotion and relegation?

it will be drawn.....the groups although numbered are not in order..eg group 1 is no better than group 4.
the long term advantage of winning the group and being promoted is that we will then become a bag 1 nation for euro 2024...

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:27 pm

dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Totally over my head

it will be drawn.....the groups although numbered are not in order..eg group 1 is no better than group 4.
the long term advantage of winning the group and being promoted is that we will then become a bag 1 nation for euro 2024...

I did explain in my previous post that it's sorta like the champions league. Where as you win the group you go to knockouts. But I stupidly accidently put my post in a quote so doubt anyone saw.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Ah OK that makes more sense now :occasion5: cheers guys

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:59 pm

I am just going to turn up when they send me my ticket and see if we can win enough games :occasion5:

Please no more explanations please :old: