CARDIFF CITY STRIKERS SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED...

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:59 pm

Cardiff City's strikers should be embarrassed and insulted Callum Paterson is being picked ahead of them
By Nathan Blake

"I rate Paterson, although he's not a centre-forward yet may get the nod again against Fulham"

BY NATHAN BLAKE

Thursday 18th October 2018

So with the international break over, it's back to the Premier League for Cardiff City — and a real opportunity to finally nail that elusive first win.

The most interesting thing for me is who does Neil Warnock pick at centre-forward against Fulham.

Against Tottenham last time out it was Callum Paterson. Presumably, as the man with the shirt, he will get the nod again this weekend.

If so, the regular strikers on Cardiff's books need to be taking a hard look at themselves.

If I were one of them, I would be embarrassed and insulted that a full-back-cum-midfielder, who can play No.9 in an emergency, was playing ahead of me.

That would get me fired up, more than anything else, to prove a point to the manager myself in training and during games.

This is nothing against Paterson, let me stress. I rate him highly, but that's when utilised in the way he was last season when he offered support to Zohore and proved hugely effective and influential in the Championship.

But one thing Callum Paterson is not is a centre-forward himself. No, no, no, no. And no again. And I say that as someone who played the role myself, understands what is required there.

If we're in a position where Paterson is our No.9 because he wins flick-ons and is a bit physical, then part of me fears the writing might be on the wall already. We cannot be pinning our goal hopes in the Premier League on someone who joined the club as a right-back. We just can't.

Surely this needs to be a light-bulb moment for the other forwards. My issue is not whether Paterson is a striker or not — I've made it abundantly clear in my own eyes that he isn't — but more the form of those at Warnock's disposal who should be nailing that centre-forward berth.

None of them have done enough to warrant the shirt. Hence Warnock turning elsewhere. But it's not the solution, he needs his proper strikers firing.

Trouble is they're not, are they?

Kenneth Zohore was a £20million player a year ago, we thought he'd be fine in the Premier League where you have more time on the ball. He has physicality, pace, can run in behind, hold up the ball — yet, for whatever reason, Warnock preferred Paterson versus Spurs.

What on earth does that say to Zohore?

As I say, if I were him I'd be somewhat embarrassed.

Danny Ward is a fans' favourite and at least has managed a goal, but while decent he's not going to rip anyone for pace — let alone Premier League defenders.

We spent £11m on Bobby Reid. That's not worked out yet, although it's too early to judge.

As for Gary Madine, he came for £6m and has still to score a goal. While that hangs over him, his form will be questioned.

You'd think a club like Cardiff would make a £6m signing their number one. Whatever the goal output, 'the manager trusts and relies on me', that sort of thing.

When he was scoring goals for Bolton, Madine would have had a totally different frame of mind, confidence levels high. He's come here, seen the fans love Zohore and Ward, that he isn't the manager's first choice and that can play on your mind, affect your form.

It's not happening for any of them, hence the manager's Paterson decision at Wembley and, most probably, versus Fulham this weekend.

You just sense Warnock is desperate for Zohore to get going. He's always been his real first choice, but it's been fits and starts at best for Ken thus far this season.

My problem with Zohore is how does Paterson get in before him? Loss of form can happen to anyone, but Warnock must have seen things in training and made calls based upon that.

Trouble is it's square pegs in round holes. We don't have a regular starting XI, are chopping and changing. Hopefully this'll work, or that'll be okay.

What Cardiff need is a settled team so players can build partnerships, but having Paterson as the focal point of that side is not the way forward.

I'd be happy enough to see him just behind Zohore, where he played last season and took the pressure off by winning aerial duels, for tough away games at places like Spurs and Chelsea. But for home matches versus teams like Fulham, we need Victor Camarasa in the No.10 role to probe and open up defences.

I'd like to see Zohore properly nail down the centre-forward role again and put the debate to bed. Of the strikers available, he is the one with most attributes who you'd fancy to tear up the Premier League.

If it's not to be Zohore, then for me Josh Murphy is the man. He has pace, an awareness of where to run and a lethal finish.

Yes I know he's made his name as a wide-man, but he could easily play No.9. Paterson made his name as a right-back - there's a significant difference.

As for the game itself, the hoodoo will finally be broken in my view. The Bluebirds to sneak it by the odd goal.
Attachments
Callum Paterson.jpg
Callum Paterson.jpg (66.1 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: CARDIFF CITY STRIKERS SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED...

Postby Bob Bank Bluebird » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Not too difficult for me this one...

Warnock wanted a big forward against the Spurs backline and Zohore & Madine do not put a good enough shift in.
Paterson runs himself into the ground every single game, so until the other 2 big lads realise that's the level of commitment you need to give, then they'll remain on the bench.
Reid and Ward definitely fit the bill in terms of work rate, but clearly didn't fit Warnock's tactics for that particular game.
Bob Bank Bluebird

Postby RhiwEbbwBluebird » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:27 pm

What a sensible article from blakey.

1. Yes camarassa would be great in the 10 role creating chances.
2.Paterson is no centre forward.
3.We are doomed if neil thinks putting paterson there to win flicks and headers in the way forward.

I love warnock, amazing in the championship but hes got to get his team selections right from now on and especially saturday.
RhiwEbbwBluebird

Postby Charlie Harper » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:49 pm

Blake's right on the money with what he is saying.

If we took something out if all the forwards we have then we may have a player here somewhere
Mad bad and dangerous to know
Charlie Harper

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:27 pm

I wonder how Blake himself would have coper with the service our strikers have had. I'd like to see us created chances for our forwards.
2blue2handle

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:29 pm

He can only select from the players he's got until January and so he's obviously got to try and find someone from within his squad at the moment to do a job which the others apparently can't .
In these circumstances Patterson is probably the best option . I strongly disagree that he's not good enough for the premiership , but obviously he's having to play out of position for the time being so he similarly can only do his best ,( might surprise everyone in that ,by the way).
I share Blakey's surprise that Ken seems to have entirely failed to thrive at this level and his dismay that a man who was so prolific at his previous club hasn't managed a single goal.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby northernbluebird » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:45 pm

paterson plays, but we need zohore alongside him firing on all cylinders. as i said on here before, this season could pass him by if he doesnt start playing with some urgency. this is his shop window to secure a big transfer if we go down, but as it stands there won't be takers.

realistically ward, bobby reid, and madine either aren't good enough, or ready for this level of football. ward i say that acknowledging his fantastic contribution since he's been here.
northernbluebird

Postby dogfound » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:03 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I wonder how Blake himself would have coper with the service our strikers have had. I'd like to see us created chances for our forwards.

he wouldn't have coped..
and although they have all had bits of game time none has had good service or been regular..
Blakes article sounds like he doesn't watch, read the team sheet or know what players strengths were at previous clubs..
sorry Nathan loved you as a player.....but no you cant score goals unless you get the ball.
dogfound

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:38 am

northernbluebird wrote:paterson plays, but we need zohore alongside him firing on all cylinders. as i said on here before, this season could pass him by if he doesnt start playing with some urgency. this is his shop window to secure a big transfer if we go down, but as it stands there won't be takers.

realistically ward, bobby reid, and madine either aren't good enough, or ready for this level of football. ward i say that acknowledging his fantastic contribution since he's been here.

No idea whatever why you would include Bobby Reid in that. Otherwise you're quite right
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Alan_in_China » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:25 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
northernbluebird wrote:paterson plays, but we need zohore alongside him firing on all cylinders. as i said on here before, this season could pass him by if he doesnt start playing with some urgency. this is his shop window to secure a big transfer if we go down, but as it stands there won't be takers.

No idea whatever why you would include Bobby Reid in that. Otherwise you're quite right

I agree with you, Bobby Reid doesn't deserve to be included in that list of misfits, not until he's been given a fair crack of the whip.

Who exactly should be embarrassed... players who were okay Championship players but who are now being asked to transition into Premier League strikers or the manager who thought to himself at the end of last season.. "Yeah, they'll bang in the goals for us, no problem" ?
Alan_in_China

Postby CF3BLUE » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:18 am

our most effective pairing was Ward & Reid against Arsenal, and that was without Murphy who has otherwise been the most dangerous. These three have to play together if we are to create chances.
CF3BLUE

Postby Alan_in_China » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:28 am

CF3BLUE wrote:our most effective pairing was Ward & Reid against Arsenal, and that was without Murphy who has otherwise been the most dangerous. These three have to play together if we are to create chances.

You're right. Forget this old-fashioned nonsense that you have to have a big, battering ram of a forward up top. You cannot legislate for pace and movement, Reid and in particular Murphy have that. I'd even be tempted to play Murphy as our out-and-out striker.. at least give him 3-4 games in that position.
Alan_in_China

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:46 pm

Alan_in_China wrote:
CF3BLUE wrote:our most effective pairing was Ward & Reid against Arsenal, and that was without Murphy who has otherwise been the most dangerous. These three have to play together if we are to create chances.

You're right. Forget this old-fashioned nonsense that you have to have a big, battering ram of a forward up top. You cannot legislate for pace and movement, Reid and in particular Murphy have that. I'd even be tempted to play Murphy as our out-and-out striker.. at least give him 3-4 games in that position.

That's fine but then you have to play to their strenghs and not just wack it up field. Reid played as a lone striker against Bournemouth and it was a disaster
2blue2handle

Postby City Slicker » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:19 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:

That's fine but then you have to play to their strenghs and not just wack it up field. Reid played as a lone striker against Bournemouth and it was a disaster

I agree
City Slicker

Postby dogfound » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Alan_in_China wrote:

your correct its the way to play if you have the better players...teams with an abundance of speed and ability have always shreded defences..and teams up against these teams with the prospect of not getting out of their own half ,have to find a way to compete...old fashion nonsense its not.....we failed to give Reid any sort of service at Bournemouth and thinking that was bad i then watched Zohore get even less service { which i thought not possible } at Huddersfield..

NW at the moment seems to be to some degree experimenting and i think we just need to trust him.
dogfound

Postby northernbluebird » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:15 pm

after a very good brace, and causing many problems, i think blake ought to eat a slice of humble pie instead of disregarding his contribution in this fashion.

he's the most underrated player in our squad. he's brought to the table exactly what i said he could before warnock gave him a run - hopefully he does the same saturday.
northernbluebird

Return to General Chat