' Wales football fans claims of racism? '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:20 am

For the second away Wales game running Welsh football fans are accused of misbehaving

Wales football fans criticise the behaviour of fellow supporters amid claims of racism

A video was posted on social media apparently showing Wales fans singing a racist song on a Dublin bus.

By Tom Coleman

Saturday 20th October 2018

Claims have emerged from fans themselves on social media in the last few days that captain Ashley Williams was racially abused and that a group of Welsh supporters sang a racist song before the game against the Republic of Ireland at Dublin's Aviva Stadium.

Other concerning claims include supporters indecently exposing themselves in public while following the team in Georgia last October.

Last Tuesday was a superb night for Giggs' young Wales side on the pitch in Dublin, with Harry Wilson's stunning winner going a long way to restoring the feelgood factor within Welsh football after a difficult defeat at the hands of Spain at the Principality Stadium.

And throughout a period of revival in playing fortunes, Welsh fans have also been widely praised for the way they have behaved and wholeheartedly backed their team, not least during the Euro 2016 tournament which saw the Dragons reach the semi-final.

However, the alleged recent antics of a small minority of Wales fans has threatened to overshadow this week's win in the Irish capital, with several deeply concerning claims being made.

A video was posted on social media apparently showing Wales fans singing a racist song on a Dublin bus.

Alun Eurig, who's been following Wales since 2002 filmed the disturbing footage, and believes that such incidents have unfortunately coincided with the swelling interest in the national team.

"I think that because the following of people going to watch them play away has shot up, you get more people and more trouble," he siad.

"It's a lot to do with that. I've seen a few examples recently.

"I was on the bus from Dublin airport to the city centre and there were loads of fans on there and most of them just got on and got off. There were about three or four of them that started singing these songs and I saw them in Wales shirts and realised it was definitely them.

"I saw it in Brussels were there was a group singing songs about Ched Evans in poor taste and you're just thinking 'for goodness sake stop signing that'.

"Then there was an incident where several fans unzipped their flies and started basically comparing their private parts, and then to the right of me there were people having a fight at the same time.

"It just made me think, I've not travelled all this way to watch this kind of stuff taking place.

"People have basically started to treat it as a stag weekend and not really as a chance to support the team. That's what it is in most cases.

"It's such a small amount of people causing the trouble, but it has such a huge impact on the rest of us.

"But the pleasing thing is the amount of people saying that this isn't on saying that we need to nip it in the bud."

As well as the claims from Mr Eurig, there have also been allegations of racist abuse directed at skipper Williams.

Meanwhile, Ashley Drake, a fan from Cardiff who claims to have confronted the person alleged to have directed a racist comment at the Everton centre-back, told BBC Radio Wales : "It was so shocking because I haven't heard it for so long.

"If he thinks he's having a go because he doesn't think he's playing very well then that's his right to do so, but it started getting worse and worse... Then out of nowhere he suddenly shouted abuse at him because of the colour of his skin.

"My view is that if you hear it once then that's enough and you've got to stand up and challenge the person.

"I berated him and told him it was a disgrace, it was unforgivable and he should know better to do that and it was an appalling thing to do."

A spokesperson for the FAW said they had not yet received any official complaint, but urged fellow fans to speak out against racism.

"The Football Association of Wales (FAW) does not condone any form of racism. The FAW has proudly supported the UEFA Equal Game, FARE Network and Show Racism the Red Card campaigns around the recent Wales international matches.

"The FAW has not received any official complaint during or following the match in Dublin on Tuesday evening. We encourage any fans who witness a racial incident of any kind to report it to the FAW stewards who are present at home and away matches, Football Supporters Federation Cymru (FSF Cymru) or directly to the association in order for the matter to be investigated.

"The FAW will continue to work in partnership with Show Racism the Red Card to deliver educational workshops around the country throughout the season and beyond."

Russell Todd, a contributor for fan site Podcast Peldroed says it's up to the fans themselves to take action against unacceptable behaviour now, before it threatens to overtake the otherwise largely positive reputation that Wales fans currently enjoy when visiting abroad.

"It's important to be vigilant. Football isn't insulated from this sort of thing.

"I've never been of the opinion where you say things like 'they're isolated incidents and it's just a few rotten apples' because I think that serves to condone it or legitimise it in the eyes of the perpetrators and people who share these views and you have to face it down with whatever's possible and practical.

"It's important to remember that these people tend to be quite cowardly and tend to not have their ideas challenged or exposed previously."

"There's more of us than there is of them and that's where the Together Stronger and all that kind of stuff comes into it.

"That's actually what that all means."
Attachments
0_Republic-of-Ireland-v-Wales-UEFA-Nations-League-League-B-Group-4-Aviva-Stadium.jpg
0_Republic-of-Ireland-v-Wales-UEFA-Nations-League-League-B-Group-4-Aviva-Stadium.jpg (47.63 KiB) Viewed 3559 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Wales football fans claims of racism? '

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:43 pm

VINCE ALM:

It’s very disappointing that I find myself on behalf of FSF Cymru writing this post after many years of being proud of the welsh football fans abroad.

There have unfortunately been some unsavoury incidents, and inappropriate chanting creeping into the last couple of Wales away games since euro 2016 from a minority of supporters.

Personally, I started to see the first signs of it in Moldova where supporters drinking outside the bars many of whom were facing out towards the street, (in the past welsh fans have stood outside bars just talking and singing songs in groups rather than facing outward) and intimidating female passers by either clapping or making derogatory remarks. Some of the more travelled welsh fans tried to challenge the group once it started to turn from a bit of a laugh to being rude and distasteful accusing them of behaving like other countries supporters when abroad which led to a couple of arguments.

Some may think this minor, but if you are a female running that gauntlet it wasn’t nice for them and painted a pretty bad image in general of welsh fans.

We are now receiving complaints from welsh football fans who travelled to Aarhus, and Dublin regards sexual abuse, homophobic chanting, and racist chanting!

Two women have come forward in separate incidents, and made complaints about being groped in appropriately at the Aviva Stadium on Tuesday Evening.

We have received video footage with racists songs being sung by welsh fans.

I heard derogatory anti Irish songs above the banter level in an attempt to create a reaction from local supporters.

We have also had complaints of racist remarks made at our own players, and welsh supporters picking fights with other welsh supporters!

If this type of behaviour continues it will tarnish our great reputation abroad and will undoubtedly lead to restrictions on travel and tickets. The above are serious breaches of law no matter what country you are in and if convicted of groping will lead to them being on the sex offenders register banned from football. Racism is an offence that will get you banned, also homophobic chanting is an offence that will get you banned and convicted.

For those who have participated in the poor behaviour let me inform you how we behaved pre-euro 2016; Our supporters would get as drunk as they do now and still have a good time without acting like an idiot. However, we had and still have respect for the country we visited, the songs we sang were to support the team and the players, not wind up the locals for a fight, or anti-racist/homophobic chanting. We also had respect for our fellow welsh fans and many friendships have been made over years from supporters from all over the country. I have made some great friends from West, North, East, and South wales over the years and always look forward to catching up with them on these trips.

All we ask is you behave like human beings, you can get drunk have a good time, sing songs without the nastiness and abuse otherwise action will be taken, and it will spoil it for everyone who travels.

I will stress it is still a minority and just a few incidents, but they are slowly increasing, and we need to nip it in the bud.
I would also like to stress the majority of Welsh Football fans are well behaved and conduct themselves impeccably and respect others.

Lets hope the message gets out there and many welsh supporters can start to enjoy the trips again without fear of intimidation from our own fans
Diolch
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby nubbsy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:23 pm

"A group of 3 or 4 people". f**k me is this really worth a print.
nubbsy

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:43 am

I am deeply shocked as I'm sure the inhabitants of Dublin are. They're simply not used to drunken behaviour there and they must have been appalled and dismayed !
As far as the racism is concerned, we all know that the Irish are world renowned for their careful and diplomatic manner of speech and their sensitive manner when speaking to ethnic and other minorities .

I would therefore like to take this opportunity to personally apologise to the Irish people that a bunch of piss heads I don't know behaved like chimps on a bus one day and suggest that we all club in to cover the costs if any members of the Garda need counselling or anything after the great cultural shock they have suffered.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby malpasbluebird » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:55 am

Love how the immediate response from some is to defend the actions. It is disgusting regardless of the context.

When we played Ireland on the last game of the WC Qualifiers I had a few lads behind me (ranging from 40s - 70s) who hurled the most anti-irish stuff I've ever heard for the whole game. It was disgusting.

its never right but in this instance its appalling. How many people within earshot were of irish descent? me and my father for one but I bet there would be others. and considering welsh and irish people share similar origins for the prejudice against us I was shocked.

at the end of the game I turned to them and said "can you maybe stop with the racism now. its not on boys" they told me to f*** off and asked my "why didn't you sit over there then?" pointing to the away end.

I know its a minority but this sort of behaviour cant be normalised. we're there to support OUR TEAM.
malpasbluebird

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:36 am

malpasbluebird wrote:Love how the immediate response from some is to defend the actions. It is disgusting regardless of the context.

When we played Ireland on the last game of the WC Qualifiers I had a few lads behind me (ranging from 40s - 70s) who hurled the most anti-irish stuff I've ever heard for the whole game. It was disgusting.

its never right but in this instance its appalling. How many people within earshot were of irish descent? me and my father for one but I bet there would be others. and considering welsh and irish people share similar origins for the prejudice against us I was shocked.

at the end of the game I turned to them and said "can you maybe stop with the racism now. its not on boys" they told me to f*** off and asked my "why didn't you sit over there then?" pointing to the away end.

I know its a minority but this sort of behaviour cant be normalised. we're there to support OUR TEAM.

No one was defending it. They were saying that the story is bollocks and that no one in their right minds makes an issue of a few pissheads behaving like chimps .
When I come across Irish tinkers cooking sausages on their engine blocks and abusing passers by in the car park of tescos I don't think that's a reflection on Irish people generally and I don't expect Martin O'Neil to apologise or feel guilty about it.
I've also got to tell you that if you go to football matches you're going to hear all sorts of stuff you might not want to and it's bloody ridiculous to bring identity politics onto a football terrace with you.

Not sure, incidentally, what you think is similar between the history of Ireland and Wales or the origins of its peoples. Not the point here, but I had to mention that since you raised it.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby malpasbluebird » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:49 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
malpasbluebird wrote:Love how the immediate response from some is to defend the actions. It is disgusting regardless of the context.

No one was defending it. They were saying that the story is bollocks and that no one in their right minds makes an issue of a few pissheads behaving like chimps .
When I come across Irish tinkers cooking sausages on their engine blocks and abusing passers by in the car park of tescos I don't think that's a reflection on Irish people generally and I don't expect Martin O'Neil to apologise or feel guilty about it.
I've also got to tell you that if you go to football matches you're going to hear all sorts of stuff you might not want to and it's bloody ridiculous to bring identity politics onto a football terrace with you.

Not sure, incidentally, what you think is similar between the history of Ireland and Wales or the origins of its peoples. Not the point here, but I had to mention that since you raised it.

I don't mind hearing 'bad' things on the terrace but some things are not excusable. im sure there's certain language you wouldn't tolerate hearing?? If I started hearing n words, p words etc I'd say something, I'd like to think in 2018 most people would. its not identity politics its common decency

and I said there are similarities in the origins of peoples prejudice towards us (i.e. historical English oppression). Not that our ACTUAL origins are similar (although, relatively speaking, they are, but that too is besides the point)

I just find it weird that people are more inclined to attack the story than the people that are making the bad behaviour in the first place
malpasbluebird

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:57 am

I suppose the guy who filmed these 'supporters' thought he was doing a public duty (which he might be) but I would have a hell of a lot more regard for him if instead of filming these wasters he did something more direct and told them to shut up.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby BluebirdWhitchurch » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:48 pm

nubbsy wrote:"A group of 3 or 4 people". f**k me is this really worth a print.

Even if it was just a single person it still deserves to be printed. Absolutely sickening behaviour but I’m afraid it may get worse as the national team grows in popularity.
BluebirdWhitchurch

Postby BluebirdWhitchurch » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:51 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

Racist chants at our own captain and you think it’s identity politics that people are appalled? Odd stance.
BluebirdWhitchurch

Postby dogfound » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:34 pm

malpasbluebird wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

I don't mind hearing 'bad' things on the terrace but some things are not excusable. im sure there's certain language you wouldn't tolerate hearing?? If I started hearing n words, p words etc I'd say something, I'd like to think in 2018 most people would. its not identity politics its common decency

and I said there are similarities in the origins of peoples prejudice towards us (i.e. historical English oppression). Not that our ACTUAL origins are similar (although, relatively speaking, they are, but that too is besides the point)

I just find it weird that people are more inclined to attack the story than the people that are making the bad behaviour in the first place

lol...………...and in another thread the coverage the Asian grooming,rape gang have had is disproportionate as there are child abuse cases every week.....more inclined to attack the story than etc etc....
I find it weird that you PC nut jobs don't know up from down because it changes on a daily basis with you..
dogfound

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:47 pm

BluebirdWhitchurch wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

Racist chants at our own captain and you think it’s identity politics that people are appalled? Odd stance.

I think to be honest that is very rude on the part of those who did it, but I also think we've lost all sense of proportion if we regard that as the most serious sin in a world where we have serious problems. In saying this I'm well aware that this comment will be contraversial or even shocking to many people but that's more to do with their learned obsessions than anything I've said on the subject.

What's more, I'm neither surprised nor shocked by dreadful behaviour by drunks and idiots. In the real world this happens I'm afraid , but we really mustn't go too nuts about the actions and behaviour of a few dickheads. They don't represent normal people and we needn't feel collectively guilty about their shennanigans. By all means deal with such public disorder , harshly if you like, but equally don't blame anyone except the perpetrators themselves or start trying to distinguish between various odious acts and utterances according to some perceived political ideal.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:09 pm

malpasbluebird wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

First of all, thanks for a great reply.
I honestly don't know what the p word is. I'm guessing it's people from the other large country in the Indian sub continent, but I didn't know it'd been banned.
Much more interested in your Irish Welsh thing. I'm very interested in Irish history actually and one of my ancestors was one of the the founders of Dublin, " Duv Lin".
Never been interested in so called "prejudice" against me which either exists or doesn't and if it does is just another difficulty to be overcome - so you won't get any sensible comments out of me on that subject.
I think it's hard to blame the "English" for much in either Wales or Ireland, unless you've got a particular political viewpoint and you're upset about the troubles of the twentieth century, ( in which case you might be more annoyed with the Ulster Scots actually). Oliver Cromwell was a bit hard on Ireland, that's true, but really it was more the "Vikings " and later the Normans, ( same people really) who've ransacked Ireland rather than the English.
The population of South Wales largely IS English by descent , so I can't see that idea much. The Welsh certainly haven't been repeatedly invaded, enslaved, starved and tortured in the way that the Irish have.
I think what you're saying is that there's a tendency for anyone who thinks they've been hard done by to blame the English, and even the English blame the English upper class.

You say that I might not tolerate certain words. Well, I would on the one hand, being a strong believer in freedom of speech and therefore I certainly wouldn't ban anything. On the other hand, I'd probably get upset or angry if I heard some things and might even react , but people must understand that along with the freedom of speech comes a responsibility to use it wisely because it may well invoke a consequence.

You make interesting points though, and I hope I've answered them properly.
SirJimmySchoular

Return to General Chat