Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gunnarsson Today

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:55 pm

So glad he's back :thumbup:

Re: Gunnarsson Today

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:10 pm

He made the difference today,an experienced International captain who always gives his all? And to think many on this forum said he wasn’t worth a new contract!

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:17 pm

difficult to choose a MOM today but i voted for him on the other thread

that was the gunners of old

:bluescarf:

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Yes back to his best Phil! :thumbup:

Thought everybody contributed today and so pleased for Reid,Harris and Paterson scoring their first goals in the Premier :bluescarf:

That is the baseline going forward and if we can tighten up at the back , we can pick up more points in the coming weeks :bluebird:

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Awesome. And he'll only get better!

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:34 pm

I said it weeks ago a fully fit Gunnarsson will be a crucial player for us.

Was a real leader on that pitch today.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:43 pm

I'm one of his biggest critics but thought he was excellent today and its clear he is the type of player we have been lacking.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Glad to say I have never criticised Gunnarson. I think he comes in for a lot of unfair comments. While many on here worship Zohore, I think Gunnarson will be far more important to our survival chances.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:26 pm

Never been my favourite player but i can't remember him playing a bad game since Warnock rocked up. The game plan doesn't play to his weaknesses and tactically he is very astute. There were times when we may have tried to overplay but Gunnars knows when the lofted lob over their fullback relieves the pressure and allows us to reset.

Leadership is unmeasurable, but the lad has it in bucketloads.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:02 pm

Really did well today. Hope we can keep him injury free.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:47 pm

Was superb today, and was the Gunnarsson of old, not the one we saw at the end of last season (might have still been injured) Thought he dominated that Fulham midfield and won every 50/50 challenge.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:52 pm

Just seen the goals again and it was Gunnarsson's challenge that put the ball through for Reid's goal. He also started the third goal by driving forwards and passing it right. A brilliant display and I'm so pleased we've got him back.

A good balance in the midfield today with Gunnarsson sitting in front of the back 4 breaking up the play and Arter's engine covering the ground and winning possession higher up the pitch. Throw in Camarasa's technical quality and Murphy's pace and trickery on the wings and we have a good midfield.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:54 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Just seen the goals again and it was Gunnarsson's challenge that put the ball through for Reid's goal. He also started the third goal by driving forwards and passing it right. A brilliant display and I'm so pleased we've got him back.

A good balance in the midfield today with Gunnarsson sitting in front of the back 4 breaking up the play and Arter's engine covering the ground and winning possession higher up the pitch. Throw in Camarasa's technical quality and Murphy's pace and trickery on the wings and we have a good midfield.

Agreed, huge improvement today

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 am

I've been adamant that Gunnars would make us play worse...

I'll hold my hands up on this one... what a difference he made :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:19 am

Not Gunnarsson's biggest fan but what a performance from him

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:24 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:He made the difference today,an experienced International captain who always gives his all? And to think many on this forum said he wasn’t worth a new contract!

I was one of those but would admit he made a massive difference today. Ralls is simply not cut out for that defensive midfield role.

As long as he maintains form and performances like that, and stays fit !, then he'll be one of the first names on the team sheet. However, he is prone to major dips in form and long spells out through injury so he just needs to avoid that and we're all happy :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:04 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:I've been adamant that Gunnars would make us play worse...

Me too, I didn't rate him last season but he was brilliant on Saturday, his positional sense was superb considering he had been out for so long, he always seemed to be in the right place.

I also liked the fact that we didn't take long throws every time, only when we were close enough to make it effective.

Well done Gunner you've proved a lot of us wrong, you've got the shirt, play like that every week and you'll keep it :notworthy: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:53 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:I've been adamant that Gunnars would make us play worse...

And me, been a great servant but thought it was best we shake hand a and move on. Once again manager knows best, what do we know? He plays well when he plays to his strengths, not passing or ball retention but graft positional play and leadership. Surprised me , maybe the break is what he needed.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:49 pm

Gunnarsson is better then Ralls by a big distance just putting it out there.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:09 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:Gunnarsson is better then Ralls by a big distance just putting it out there.

Ralls should never have been asked to play that role. This role should have been sorted in the summer.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:59 am

My biggest problem with Gunnarsson is his consistency!

I hope he keeps up this form, because then there's no denying him! Gives his all for us every game regardless of the performance.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:40 am

Llan_Blue wrote:Gunnarsson is better then Ralls by a big distance just putting it out there.

Different player completely.

I didn't used to be Ralls' biggest fan but he's great at what he does.
I watched him closely last season after being slated for calling him crap.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:44 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:

Not really completely different players both central midfielders.
Ralls is a better passer of the two but everything else is in Gunnarssons favour.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:49 am

Llan_Blue wrote:

Ralls is a better passer of the two but everything else is in Gunnarssons favour.

Ok, Whitts and Scimeca were the same players then :thumbright:

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:08 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:

Willie Boland

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:12 pm

BlueDredd wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:

Willie Boland

Chops and Lambert were the same players too :laughing6:

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:32 pm

if two players are competing for the same starting place ,which I think Gunners and Ralls might well be ,yes its fair to compare..