Can we grow up now ?????

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Can we grow up now ?????

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:31 pm

Right, I'd say that the boys have found their range now.
I've been asking the bed wetters to calm down and perhaps they can stop crying now and get out from behind the sofa.
We shall see how the team and the season develops from here and, as I've said repeatedly , we'll finish about tenth.
SirJimmySchoular

Can we grow up now ?????

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Can we grow up now ?????

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:43 pm

I agree with that, but people always overreact on here, its a forum to express your feelings and emotions, with many doing it straight after a game (which isn't a great idea :lol: ) But the majority have showed patience and got behind the team which is shown at the home games and away games. But 10th??? fair play you're more optimistic than I am :lol: I don't see us finishing anywhere above 15th.
Bluebird Warrior

Postby angelis1949 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:44 pm

May I remind you that one swallow don't make a summer, let's just enjoy our moment in the sunshine and not get carried away, I'm not looking at finishing 10th in the table I will be satisfied finishing 17th in the table, what I will say I was very encouraged and believe if we can add to today's performance we have every change of avoiding relegation
angelis1949

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:46 pm

Problem is some of our fans go from one extreme to the other. Just enjoy it and hope we push on, we aren't world beaters all of a sudden and will have tough days ahead but at least something to build on.
2blue2handle

Postby City Slicker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:00 pm

"One day at a time, sweet Jesus, that's all I'm asking of you"
City Slicker

Postby maccydee » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:17 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Problem is some of our fans go from one extreme to the other. Just enjoy it and hope we push on, we aren't world beaters all of a sudden and will have tough days ahead but at least something to build on.

None more so than this post.

Tenth.

I’ll stick stingy nettles up my arse if we finish tenth.
maccydee

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:33 pm

maccydee wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Problem is some of our fans go from one extreme to the other. Just enjoy it and hope we push on, we aren't world beaters all of a sudden and will have tough days ahead but at least something to build on.

Tenth.

Maybe 11th, maybe 9th, but I'd get plenty of Calomine in.
I'm not suffering some euphoric reaction to today's game - I've said this all along and it's panning out pretty much according to plan. I know exactly what we can do and what we can't , and so does Sir Neil. You're going to have ups and downs and we've had a lot of downs recently, but it'll average out and if you compare all the factors you can expect about tenth ,whether you can see that at the moment or not.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:02 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Tenth.

I'm not suffering some euphoric reaction to today's game - I've said this all along and it's panning out pretty much according to plan. I know exactly what we can do and what we can't , and so does Sir Neil. You're going to have ups and downs and we've had a lot of downs recently, but it'll average out and if you compare all the factors you can expect about tenth ,whether you can see that at the moment or not.

Just like to clarify I haven't mentioned 10th :lol:
2blue2handle

Postby maccydee » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:28 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Tenth.

Just like to clarify I haven't mentioned 10th :lol:

The original post I should have put.

My humblest apologies.
maccydee

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:06 am

No, not at all. I was the one who said tenth in the first place, but I've been saying it from the start of the season here.
That's my objective analysis and has been since day one, based on the sort of calculations I'd use to calculate a bet.
I know most people doubt it, but that's nothing new. I'm sure you'd like to think I'm right even if you don't think I am, but I've got a reasonable track record of ignoring "experts" and looking at the facts and probabilities objectively.
I had a bet on Donald Trump getting the GOP nomination when that was ridiculous according to the "experts" , but I won. I also had a double on a Brexit out vote and Donald Trump to be elected President. I tell you this not to be a smart arse but to offer you some encouragement that prospects might be better than you think
SirJimmySchoular

Postby maccydee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:06 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:No, not at all. I was the one who said tenth in the first place, but I've been saying it from the start of the season here.
That's my objective analysis and has been since day one, based on the sort of calculations I'd use to calculate a bet.
I know most people doubt it, but that's nothing new. I'm sure you'd like to think I'm right even if you don't think I am, but I've got a reasonable track record of ignoring "experts" and looking at the facts and probabilities objectively.
I had a bet on Donald Trump getting the GOP nomination when that was ridiculous according to the "experts" , but I won. I also had a double on a Brexit out vote and Donald Trump to be elected President. I tell you this not to be a smart arse but to offer you some encouragement that prospects might be better than you think

I hope so I had a fiver on us finishing top half.

However after our start I can’t see it. I hope I’m proven wrong.
maccydee

Postby City Slicker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:24 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:No, not at all. I was the one who said tenth in the first place, but I've been saying it from the start of the season here.
I had a bet on Donald Trump getting the GOP nomination when that was ridiculous according to the "experts" , but I won. I also had a double on a Brexit out vote and Donald Trump to be elected President I tell you this not to be a smart arse but to offer you some encouragement that prospects might be better than you think

So, it was your fault then :lol:
City Slicker

Postby BLUE54 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:17 am

Don't forget that after next Saturday we will have played the top 6 teams in 10 games. There will be 28 more games after that and we can only play them collectively 6 more times. I think cause for some optimism. :occasion5:
BLUE54

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:11 pm

Not sure if we will finish that high Sir Jim, but like you, I have not gone along with some of the rubbish on here about Warnock being out of his depth. I am still hopeful that we have enough here to finish at least above three other sides.

I think some fans take everything Warnock says too seriously. I guess those fans are either very young or have little experience in management. What Warnock says to the press and general public and what he says to his players will be two seperate things. He has always played mind games wherever he has been. I doubt if much of what he says will have much effect on the opposition, as they will know him by now. Probably has most effect on some of the more gullible fans on here who seem to hang on every word he says.

He has been in the game long enough to know what, when and why he comes out with certain things, and I am sure he says most things to try and get into the heads of the opposition. Any little advantage might help, and there is plenty of method in his perceived madness.
Steve Zodiak

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:38 pm

BLUE54 wrote:Don't forget that after next Saturday we will have played the top 6 teams in 10 games. There will be 28 more games after that and we can only play them collectively 6 more times. I think cause for some optimism. :occasion5:

Spot On - November will be a key month of games which will see us play teams mid table and below .
TopCat CCFC

Postby paulh_85 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:14 am

im sorry, but utter utter nonsense
paulh_85

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:22 am

paulh_85 wrote:

I never really like responses like that. You don't explain why you think it's nonsense but just make the statement as if it carries weight by its existence .
My point was that people talk on and on about the outcome of some future event and during this conversation they get involved in what they want to happen and what they fear might happen. They soon begin to insist upon their imagined outcome - good or bad - until this entirely imaginery "vision" of the future seems inevitable and assumes an equally imaginery weight or substance.

This strange effect can be seen in both the issues I mentioned, ( Brexit and Donald Trump) to the point that even when it's happened, many people are so confused between their collectively and mutually agreed prediction that they cannot accept the actual real outcome.

However, in trying to calculate the likely outcome of situations, you must filter out these emotional and aspirational "Chinese whispers" and consider the factors you know to exist with complete objectivity. This will frequently yield a very different and more accurate result than the one which in general circulation.

If the facts told me that Cardiff City could not settle into a mid table position by the end season, I'd say so. If something changes in the mean time,(which it could ), to alter that , then I shall say so. For example, if they did change the manager,
then that would be such a factor.
A few hammerings from big teams were no surprise to me because such initial humiliations are necessary stimulants to draw out the best in anyone who has moved into the big boys yard. Yes, it could also destroy weak men who are easily discouraged , but it's illogical to expect that reaction from these individuals who are proven to overcome difficulties and challenges.

In the end we shall see what happens and I can't foresee the future any more than anyone else but in one way or another I've got a very long history of turning difficult situations round by looking at them laterally, identifying my potential advantages however few and making them count in the end. I think that's what I recognise and love in Sir Neil actually and in my opinion he has enough rescources to hit his mark. In truth very few others would.

I shall invite your comments upon all this when we finish ( around) tenth.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:48 am

Have you ever got a bet wrong? Like you I have predicted events right many times (e.g. we would finish 2nd last year :ayatollah: ) but I have also predicted some howlers (Madine would be an excellent signing :oops: ).

Also your self assessment as having a 'reasonable track record' isn't really an overwhelming endorsement. All that said I really hope you're right :D
Tony Blue Williams

Postby paulh_85 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:09 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

I never really like responses like that. You don't explain why you think it's nonsense but just make the statement as if it carries weight by its existence .
My point was that people talk on and on about the outcome of some future event and during this conversation they get involved in what they want to happen and what they fear might happen. They soon begin to insist upon their imagined outcome - good or bad - until this entirely imaginery "vision" of the future seems inevitable and assumes an equally imaginery weight or substance.

This strange effect can be seen in both the issues I mentioned, ( Brexit and Donald Trump) to the point that even when it's happened, many people are so confused between their collectively and mutually agreed prediction that they cannot accept the actual real outcome.

However, in trying to calculate the likely outcome of situations, you must filter out these emotional and aspirational "Chinese whispers" and consider the factors you know to exist with complete objectivity. This will frequently yield a very different and more accurate result than the one which in general circulation.

If the facts told me that Cardiff City could not settle into a mid table position by the end season, I'd say so. If something changes in the mean time,(which it could ), to alter that , then I shall say so. For example, if they did change the manager,
A few hammerings from big teams were no surprise to me because such initial humiliations are necessary stimulants to draw out the best in anyone who has moved into the big boys yard. Yes, it could also destroy weak men who are easily discouraged , but it's illogical to expect that reaction from these individuals who are proven to overcome difficulties and challenges.

In the end we shall see what happens and I can't foresee the future any more than anyone else but in one way or another I've got a very long history of turning difficult situations round by looking at them laterally, identifying my potential advantages however few and making them count in the end. I think that's what I recognise and love in Sir Neil actually and in my opinion he has enough rescources to hit his mark. In truth very few others would.

talking like you used some sort of statistical analysis to come to your guess when its all just nonsense. not sure why your intent on making yourself seem cleverer than you are to a group of strangers on the internet.

if we finish 10th then fantastic. and well done for guessing correctly :thumbup:
paulh_85

Postby Sneggyblubird » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:26 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Right, I'd say that the boys have found their range now.
I've been asking the bed wetters to calm down and perhaps they can stop crying now and get out from behind the sofa.
We shall see how the team and the season develops from here and, as I've said repeatedly , we'll finish about tenth.

Interesting but I think you invited trouble with the topic heading. I've read a lot of your posts from day one and you're no idiot but this comes across as you being a condescending smart arse. Talking down to people never works even if you're valid or relevant.
Sneggyblubird

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:38 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

Have you ever got a bet wrong? Like you I have predicted events right many times (e.g. we would finish 2nd last year :ayatollah: ) but I have also predicted some howlers (Madine would be an excellent signing :oops: ).

Also your self assessment as having a 'reasonable track record' isn't really an overwhelming endorsement. All that said I really hope you're right :D

Well I've very rarely gotten a bet wrong actually, but that's because I don't bet unless I'm satisfied that I've come to a solid conclusion. That's my whole point, that I don't bet on something because I want it to happen and all I was trying to explain was that my rationale in saying tenth is entirely objective.
I also thought Madine would be an excellent signing, but I only thought it rather than betting on it for the reason I just stated.
We shall see whether I'm right about tenth shan't we ?
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:49 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:

Interesting but I think you invited trouble with the topic heading. I've read a lot of your posts from day one and you're no idiot but this comes across as you being a condescending smart arse. Talking down to people never works even if you're valid or relevant.

Well you're quite right of course. I'm a terrible " diplomat" and I upset people all the time by giving the impression of being a smart arse. It's not true actually though - I just say what I believe to be correct , and it tends to be correct because I don't say it until I've thought it through a lot and only then if I think I've found a valid answer.
I do tell the truth as I see it though, even if I know it will irritate some people. In that spirit I must admit that I've got far less concern about the impression I give than I perhaps should. I'm sorry if I seemed unpleasant.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:02 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

talking like you used some sort of statistical analysis to come to your guess when its all just nonsense. not sure why your intent on making yourself seem cleverer than you are to a group of strangers on the internet.

if we finish 10th then fantastic. and well done for guessing correctly :thumbup:

Oh please don't do this internet bollocks of trading insults ! I really don't give a monkeys what anyone thinks of my intellect here, I'm talking about football not philosophy.
In fact I did say earlier that statistics are of little or no value in such calculations, so obviously I'm not claiming to have based my assessment upon statistics, am I ?
I was explaining the logical progression of thought, and pitfalls which might detract from that, which lead me to the conclusion that insofar as we can work out an outcome in a situation which has " unknown knowables and known unknowables", we can reasonably expect Cardiff City to finish mid table .

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I won't be. If I'm right you can enjoy the result. Either way you win, so chill out. You don't need to have a go at anyone personally or get angry.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby nubbsy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:12 pm

angelis1949 wrote:May I remind you that one swallow don't make a summer, let's just enjoy our moment in the sunshine and not get carried away, I'm not looking at finishing 10th in the table I will be satisfied finishing 17th in the table, what I will say I was very encouraged and believe if we can add to today's performance we have every change of avoiding relegation

You wouldn't be satisfied if we won the league you miserable sod :lol:
nubbsy

Postby Bluebina » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:49 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Personally, I don't care if people or straight talking, I think on an internet forum its a good idea.

Great post based on logic, we have had a tough start and some pretty bad luck, if we had beaten Burnley and stats will tell you we should have, we would be thirteenth after playing five of the top six in the first nine games.

Based on our start and the way we are improving, I don't think you will a million miles away, and I am starting to think we can stay up.

Keep up the positive posts and don't let the negative moaners grind you down :thumbup: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
Bluebina

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Bluebina wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Personally, I don't care if people or straight talking, I think on an internet forum its a good idea.

Great post based on logic, we have had a tough start and some pretty bad luck, if we had beaten Burnley and stats will tell you we should have, we would be thirteenth after playing five of the top six in the first nine games.

Based on our start and the way we are improving, I don't think you will a million miles away, and I am starting to think we can stay up.

Keep up the positive posts and don't let the negative moaners grind you down :thumbup: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Thank you for your kind words. They are greatly appreciated.
Even though I've got many years of experience of being "attacked" for my often deliberately provocative statements and it doesn't bother me a bit, I equally appreciate kindness of the sort you have demonstrated - which is worth 100 times the barbed comments of those who feel angry when their assumptions are challenged.

Can I say to those I might have upset though, that this is after all a discussion forum. We'd all like to be able to watch the team play every day, ( probably get into the team if we could !), but there are these big gaps between games and since we share this unjustifiable childish obsession we resort to talking bollocks about it amongst ourselves don't we ?
Now, since we're all daft enough to do this when we should probably be doing something else, I sort of think it's more entertaining if we make it bit more interesting and fun by introducing a bit of arguable and contraversial stuff and I'm only trying to pay back the entertainment I get from the forum by contributing a bit of material when I can.

I'm pretty good with the wordies, even if I say so myself, so I often use that to quickly try and provide something a bit different to talk about. I do mean what I say of course, but I do admit that I might say it in a way that'll evoke a reaction.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Bakedalasker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:26 pm

maccydee wrote:

Tenth.

I'm with Luke with the emphasise on hope.

I hope we do finish 10th now.
Bakedalasker

Postby City Slicker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:53 pm

maccydee wrote:

Tenth.

No, don't do that, you can make fantastic wine out of stingy nettles instead and get pissed. I'm not sure if it might lend a certain piquance with elusive fragrances of shit though!
City Slicker

Postby krabb » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:39 pm

I don’t think it’s about growing up I think for once we got the team right...... why pick players that not at there best.... but yep back the team .... :ayatollah:
krabb

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:44 pm

krabb wrote:

I don’t think it’s about growing up I think for once we got the team right...... why pick players that not at there best.... but yep back the team .... :ayatollah:

Don't know. My point really was that some people were going nuts because we lost a few games and I'd kept appealing to them to be patient rather than calling for sackings and predicting relegation. Same people drawing huge conclusions from that first win actually, and I was just saying calm down a bit and stop these hysterical mood swings based on the last thing that happened.

Yeah, I was trying to make them feel silly about panicked criticism and defeatism because we rely more than most clubs on solidarity with the supporters, who can be an extra man for home games. To be honest it scares me to think of the boys losing this solid back up because that'd be worse than losing any two players .
If we're going to do this , which we certainly can, we must never show fear, weakness or doubt so we need to be intolerant of it.
SirJimmySchoular

Return to General Chat