Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The truth behind Marko Grujic's failed loan from Liverpool

Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:52 am

The truth behind Marko Grujic's failed loan from Liverpool to Cardiff City —

What actually happened

By Dominic Booth

Tuesday 23rd October 2018

One name that has linked Cardiff City with this weekend's opponents Liverpool for the past 10 months or so is midfielder Marko Grujic.

Look through the pictures after the Bluebirds' promotion in May and you'll see a smiling Grujic loving every minute of the celebrations. He even flew back from Serbia to attend the parade a week after the season's final day, despite being a loan player.

Grujic, of course, made 13 appearances for Cardiff in the crucial Championship run-in last season, scoring once against Barnsley.

Such was the impression he made in south Wales, the Bluebirds were heavily linked with another loan move in the summer. It was the saga that would seemingly never end.

Neil Warnock made his feelings very clear on numerous occasions — that he wanted the 22-year-old for another season.

Everyone knows that the loan swoop never materialised, but Liverpool and their head of loans Julian Ward had positive discussions with Cardiff and, bar Grujic's participation in the World Cup, the move probably would have gone through.

Jurgen Klopp and the Reds were always keen on the idea of Grujic playing Premier League football with Cardiff.

But with Grujic returning later than usual after the World Cup, the midfielder wanted some time to work with Klopp at Liverpool's Melwood training facility. He ended up playing in pre-season games against Torino and Manchester City for the Reds.

When that time elapsed, Cardiff's hierarchy led by Warnock and Ken Choo, were still confident of securing the move.

But when a genuine interest emerged from the Bundesliga, in the shape of Hertha Berlin, Grujic wanted to explore it. As well as Cardiff, Crystal Palace, Middlesbrough, CSKA Moscow and Lyon had all shwon interest in a loan.

Klopp was also said to have been instrumental in the decision that Hertha was the best place for the midfielder to continue his progress — the German boss having intimate knowledge of the Bundesliga.

Grujic has been identified as a key part of Hertha's successful start to the new season
Liverpool also turned down permanent offers from Italian clubs for Grujic as they see him as a long term option in central midfield.

But Grujic is still said to look back fondly on his time with the Bluebirds, with the promotion push a very positive experience for the 22-year-old.

Although Warnock was left with a bad taste in the mouth — and left sweating until deadline day to secure loan moves for midfielders Harry Arter and Victor Camarasa — there are no bad feeling between the camps. In any case, the Cardiff midfield looks reasonably well stocked with Arter and Camarasa impressing so far.

Grujic is currently sidelined by an ankle injury after making a positive start with Hertha, the capital city club losing just one of their opening eight games and sitting a point behind Bayern Munich.

And while Liverpool will have myriad midfield options to choose from against Cardiff this weekend: including James Milner, Fabhino, Georginio Wijnaldum and Jordan Henderson, with Naby Keita injured.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The truth behind Marko Grujic's failed loan from Liverpo

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:13 am

I knew the reasons would surface sometime and cutting through it all, it seems he just hung on and with Klopps advice chose another club. That’s fair enough and I wouldn’t blame him for looking after no.1.
For me, I’d prefer Arter and Camarasa by a mile from what I saw of Grujic last season although all three would have been nice!

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:20 am

What happened is part of football transfer business, but begs question why did club not look elswhere as soon as it became apparent that he may move elswhere? City did not keep their options open which is always a mistake in football :old:

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:57 am

pembroke allan wrote:What happened is part of football transfer business, but begs question why did club not look elswhere as soon as it became apparent that he may move elswhere? City did not keep their options open which is always a mistake in football :old:

Is that true Allan? The club did look elsewhere and had alternative options which TBH have turned out to be better than Plan A (Grujic).

If anything we should be moaning that the club should have been pursuing Arter and Camarasa as the main options ahead of Grujic

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:58 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:I knew the reasons would surface sometime and cutting through it all, it seems he just hung on and with Klopps advice chose another club. That’s fair enough and I wouldn’t blame him for looking after no.1.
For me, I’d prefer Arter and Camarasa by a mile from what I saw of Grujic last season although all three would have been nice!

Totally agree it seems fate saved us from ourselves :occasion5:

Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:22 am

Grujik was a talented learner. Harry Arter and Victor Camasarra are the real thing.
Without them things would be a lot worse , so this was the best thing that could have happened .

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:20 pm

His loss and our gain in Camarasa and Arter.
Would be brilliant if we stayed up and signed both.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:37 pm

I cant believe its nearly November and Walesonline are still going on about it :lol:

I don't understand why Warnock spent so much time on him

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:38 pm

fred keenor wrote:His loss and our gain in Camarasa and Arter.

Arter could be a possibility but I don't think we have a chance in hell of getting Camarasa!

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:31 am

fred keenor wrote:His loss and our gain in Camarasa and Arter.

Agreed,but if victor keeps up his form,he is likely to return to betis,as the deal was season long loan,with no option to buy,he will still have I believe 3 yrs on his contract with them,so if he does come in the summer,it will be at no small cost :( not saying he won't sign for us,but he's not likely to if we are relagated :?: as for Arter, definitely worth a pop at :thumbright: again ,I think depending where we are at seasons end :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:19 pm

pembroke allan wrote:What happened is part of football transfer business, but begs question why did club not look elswhere as soon as it became apparent that he may move elswhere? City did not keep their options open which is always a mistake in football :old:

What the hell are you talking about :lol:

So we haven’t signed Arter an Camarasa then have we or am I just dreaming it :lol:

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:58 pm

quite often things happen very late in the transfer window...that's not to say many conversations and negotiations have not taken place during the course of the summer with clubs, players and agents shifting their views and valuations bit by bit as the close comes closer..

its just that the media and people on this board starting thread after thread were all focussed on Grujic that made it look like all the eggs were in one basket ,when it looks now as if they were not..