Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Stop bigging up opposition

Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:06 am

After the Liverpool game when, like Chelsea and Man City we paid them far too much respect and didn't get in their faces or play with any confidence, will Warnock please stop bigging up the opposition before games? Psychologically it's the worst possible motivation for our players. Yes, I know these are class players, but what he needs to be saying is that we can get something from it and not that they're immortal. Also, our style of football must adapt more quickly or we'll go down. Warnock may not be the man to do that.

Re: Stop bigging up opposition

Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:28 am

bluemun wrote:After the Liverpool game when, like Chelsea and Man City we paid them far too much respect and didn't get in their faces or play with any confidence, will Warnock please stop bigging up the opposition before games? Psychologically it's the worst possible motivation for our players. Yes, I know these are class players, but what he needs to be saying is that we can get something from it and not that they're immortal. Also, our style of football must adapt more quickly or we'll go down. Warnock may not be the man to do that.

We're adapting. A lot quicker than those around us too. Phil Neville even said as much on MOTD, they were impressed with us.

Liverpool are top for a reason. They're actually quite good. And we gave them a decent game I thought. We have easier teams coming! Judge after those!

As for Warnock... What do you want him to say? "Salah and Mane have been gash this year. Our boys will smash them?" That would get a much bigger reaction from the opposition, fans and players alike!

Personally, I think he's been pretty clever. You can see his comments don't affect our players. And I bet he tells a completely different story when that changing room door is shut!!

Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:41 am

jimmy_rat wrote:
bluemun wrote:After the Liverpool game when, like Chelsea and Man City we paid them far too much respect and didn't get in their faces or play with any confidence, will Warnock please stop bigging up the opposition before games? Psychologically it's the worst possible motivation for our players. Yes, I know these are class players, but what he needs to be saying is that we can get something from it and not that they're immortal. Also, our style of football must adapt more quickly or we'll go down. Warnock may not be the man to do that.

We're adapting. A lot quicker than those around us too. Phil Neville even said as much on MOTD, they were impressed with us.

Liverpool are top for a reason. They're actually quite good. And we gave them a decent game I thought. We have easier teams coming! Judge after those!

As for Warnock... What do you want him to say? "Salah and Mane have been gash this year. Our boys will smash them?" That would get a much bigger reaction from the opposition, fans and players alike!

Personally, I think he's been pretty clever. You can see his comments don't affect our players. And I bet he tells a completely different story when that changing room door is shut!!

Yep I agree with pretty much everything you said 4-1 flattered them TBH they were not that much better than us in this game unlike when Man City destroyed us. The best thing Is Warnock has now found our best team the back 4 is settled and Paterson is a real asset up front. We will be fine as we will pick up enough points from those around us. Plus their are some truly awful teams in this league a lot worse than what we are.

Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:44 am

phildavies wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:

Yep I agree with pretty much everything you said 4-1 flattered them TBH they were not that much better than us in this game unlike when Man City destroyed us. The best thing Is Warnock has now found our best team the back 4 is settled and Paterson is a real asset up front. We will be fine as we will pick up enough points from those around us. Plus their are some truly awful teams in this league a lot worse than what we are.

So true. I have a lot of Liverpool friends living up here. Hence I blagged a couple of tickets in the home end. But they just don't believe me when I tell them how good Man City were!!

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:50 am

jimmy_rat wrote:
phildavies wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:

So true. I have a lot of Liverpool friends living up here. Hence I blagged a couple of tickets in the home end. But they just don't believe me when I tell them how good Man City were!!

Yep was at the game myself and thought these look completely average compared to Man City can’t see them lasting the distance with them.

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:26 am

If we had bit more composure going forward we could have got something out of the game despite their dominance, as we know possession doesn't win games we just lacked that final ball or someone in the box to centre to because after our goal they looked bemused and unsure, and can't see them winning league man c more superior by a lot :old:

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:31 am

pembroke allan wrote:If we had bit more composure going forward we could have got something out of the game despite their dominance, as we know possession doesn't win games we just lacked that final ball or someone in the box to centre to because after our goal they looked bemused and unsure, and can't see them winning league man c more superior by a lot :old:

Agree. Its a classic game of stats not painting the full picture. Were we always going to give them a lot of the ball, yes. Were we going to have to take any chances we got, yes. Did we create, kind of. NW summed it up best when he said the last pass was always the wrong one. We did break quite well. Highlights the need for a proper striker!

Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:13 pm

Doubt if Warnock is bigging up the opposition to his players. Got to be pretty naive to believe everything a manager says to the press or fans compared to what he says to his players. Could be managing the expectations of our fans, some of whom think we are better than Man C, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. Score predictions on here show some of our fans are living in a dream and a fair few expected Liverpool to fail to beat us. There are only a small handful of sides who can compete with the top 5 in this league, and we are not one of them. They would all beat us (and most others) four times out of five. Warnock did not say anything that even fans who barely know anything about the game did'nt know already. The bookies odds were realistic and showed the sort of chance we had long before a ball was kicked.

Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:46 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:If we had bit more composure going forward we could have got something out of the game despite their dominance, as we know possession doesn't win games we just lacked that final ball or someone in the box to centre to because after our goal they looked bemused and unsure, and can't see them winning league man c more superior by a lot :old:

Agree. Its a classic game of stats not painting the full picture. Were we always going to give them a lot of the ball, yes. Were we going to have to take any chances we got, yes. Did we create, kind of. NW summed it up best when he said the last pass was always the wrong one. We did break quite well. Highlights the need for a proper striker!

If the final ball was better or decision making better we would have caused them lots of trouble but we seem to have that problem especially with decision making! But will sy when we get that right we certainly look like scoring as Fulham proved :old:

Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:29 pm

It doesn't matter whether Warnock has bigged up the opposition to the players or not. We were defeated heavily by the three top teams and showed them too much respect in every case. Whatever he was trying to do hasn't succeeded. I'd like to think we're adapting but you can't keep making excuses for our style of play which is low possession and giving too much possession away. Let's wait and see, but I seriously wonder.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:46 am

bluemun wrote:It doesn't matter whether Warnock has bigged up the opposition to the players or not. We were defeated heavily by the three top teams and showed them too much respect in every case. Whatever he was trying to do hasn't succeeded. I'd like to think we're adapting but you can't keep making excuses for our style of play which is low possession and giving too much possession away. Let's wait and see, but I seriously wonder.

shocking mate..you would expect our manager to have come up with a fool proof plan by now to beat these teams that nobody else can beat..

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:45 am

I'm not saying 'beat' , but I am saying 'compete'. It is possible and Warnock isn't beyond criticism. If he'd signed a striker over summer and got rid of Marine then we'd be doing better now. Warnock is a great Championship manager. I'm not convinced he can do it at this level.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:27 am

bluemun wrote:I'm not saying 'beat' , but I am saying 'compete'. It is possible and Warnock isn't beyond criticism. If he'd signed a striker over summer and got rid of Marine then we'd be doing better now. Warnock is a great Championship manager. I'm not convinced he can do it at this level.

We did compete, we executed the game plan of “stay in the game until the final 10 minutes” perfectly. Then attempting to smash and grab at the end led to Liverpool grabbing a couple more at the end, as Klopp said himself it opened up the game which suited them.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:23 pm

bluemun wrote:I'm not saying 'beat' , but I am saying 'compete'. It is possible and Warnock isn't beyond criticism. If he'd signed a striker over summer and got rid of Marine then we'd be doing better now. Warnock is a great Championship manager. I'm not convinced he can do it at this level.

after everything that was said about us during the summer ...and since tbh....record low points maybe..record low goals maybe..everyone and their dog predicting out of our depth relegation certs....who would have thought having played the top 6 that in 5 of those games we hadn't been put to bed with 10 minutes to go..?
yes we have sucked in lots of late goals, mostly by trying to STEAL something from games where we are only one goal behind against opponents who are better and cost 20 times as much by changing tactics and personel for that reason.....
the top 3 you mention....have collectively played 30 games and lost zero.... :roll:

you need a reality check mate....it could be far worse and i for one feared it would be worse..

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:54 pm

all ifs and buts... we lost.. move on.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:20 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:all ifs and buts... we lost.. move on.

no ifs or buts we are up against it...and were before a ball was kicked...but bar 1game have kept ourselves alive in games for 80 minutes...all things considered im really not sure we could have asked for more bar a big chunk of luck...?

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:27 pm

there's no doubt we're improving as the season goes on.

but i have to agree - i'd like to see warnock be a bit more plucky when it comes to talking about the better teams. he gives the impression he's just happy to be here - i know thats not the case, but it is the message he portrays prior to the matches.